cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ham Radio enthusiasts

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any other Ham radio operators/ RV enthusiasts out there? I imagine there is. If so please reply with your call sign and location. If there is enough of us, maybe wecould get our own forum. Also share some things about your mobile setup. Thanks, Jim W, K3JRW
66 REPLIES 66

Ken451
Explorer
Explorer
CWSWine wrote:
I held a Ham ticket that expired in the early 90's and my call sign was KA7FKZ general class. Do I have to start over to get renew my ticket or is there some provisions for Hams with expired tickets to renew.

You are well beyond the current "grace period". However, the FCC is considering giving permanent credit for passed exam elements. No telling if/when this will be approved.

FMI:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-12-121A1.pdf
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES 5th wheel
2006 Sundowner horse trailer with living quarters
Chevy C3500 tow vehicle

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Kit here, Bossier City, La. KE5VLE, operate mostly on 2 meters.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I read a notice at Fort Custer SRA near Augusta Michigan that they were having a group of Hams Operators somtime in September. I did not bother reading more.
I was going to say a group of Hams but decided that did not sound right.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
John, here is the URL:

http://www.openroadsradio.net/modules/Jig/index.php
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, Twinsburg, Ohio N8BSJ. maybe 35 years. 2m how...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many. In fact every January (last half of the month) there is a 2 week long RV Rally in Quartzite, AZ (not sure of spelling)

If you take State Route 95, about oh, 5 to six miles SOUTH of I-10, on the right is a Free BLM parking area with easily two or three HUNDRED hams parked on it.

They call it "QuartzFest".. Gordon West is usually there. Many others.. I've been there. Tons of fun,, Swap, Seminars, Presentations and more. Great place to visit.

YOu can also look for the open roads radio net (sorry no url handy)

I'm listening to a Kenwood TS-2000 as I type this.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
I held a Ham ticket that expired in the early 90's and my call sign was KA7FKZ general class. Do I have to start over to get renew my ticket or is there some provisions for Hams with expired tickets to renew.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

N5LUI
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, Name is Kay N5LUI N.E. Tex. Been a ham since 1978, love the hobby. 73,Kay

GoldwingCapeCod
Explorer
Explorer
K1VTR. (Vacuum tube radio). Lots of radios but no RV YET.
PREFER Icom (7000, 7600, ht 91a, one lonely Beofang) but have an open mind.
Falmouth Amateur Radio Association (FARA)
VE

Michael
Toes in the water

K1VTR 73
2007 Honda Goldwing
2012 Can Am Spyder (hers)

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR out of Sewanee, Tennessee. I have a sign with my call and the 2 meter calling frequency listed on the back of my fiver. If you see me on the highway, just make a call on 146.52 mhz. I listen when I'm towing my home away from home.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I have been looking for a CHEAP second control head for my IC706. I currently have spots in both my truck and OFF-ROAD POPUP for the ICOM706 but I am wearing the radio mount out moving the one ICOM706 I have between the two places haha... Same thing with my TARHEEL screwdriver antenna. I can move it between the truck or trailer as well...

I think I could solve the whole thing by installing a long CAT5 control head cable with disconnect plugs between the two units and maybe leave the ICOM main unit in the truck. I am about ready to install my dual battery banks with one 300AH on the trailer and a second 300AH setup in the bed of the truck. When camping they can both be keep charged up interconnected together with a 2-cond cable hookup from the trailer.

My TARHEEL antenna works better on the truck with all the metal ground plane around it. My backup HF antenna is a short 3-inch triangle tower I can swing up on the back of my trailer about 12-feet which will get me up about 25 off the ground with a PVC pipe in the middle and I hang a windom off center fed 80-10 wire antenna off that. Throw the ends up into trees. My antenna is more of Vee instead of Inverter Vee. It does work pretty good however - Better than the TARHEEL on 80 and 40... I get alot of bad looks from the RV crowd however...

Just need to find a CHEAP junker ICOM706 for sale for parts only and steal its control head haha...

Roy Ken K9PHT

Roy
I have a friend that has a Ic-706MKII-G that took a dump on him if he still has it I will e-mail you.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Right now the radios remain in the house, someday, I hope to set up in the MH. I have a IC706MKII, a old IC720A,that a buddy is fixing, and if I ever get it back it will go to the MH, along with the 706. The ht is a Yaesu FT270R, 2m. I want to get something else either a dual band or a tri-band and then have both. I have the Tarheel model 300a antenna which I will use on the MH for the 706. I have not decided what antenna to use for the 720A, I'll wait till I get it back before making that decision.
Bill
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tarheel model 300 installed on the left front fender of the truck for HF.
Right fender has a Comet SSB-5 dual band, 2M and 70 cm fed from the I-com 7000, HF, 2m, 70cm radio
The fifth has another SBB-5 fed from an I-com 208H, dual band radio.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
Or get it a tune up and mount it in the trailer so you don't have to switch;). The draw back to the 706 as I've heard is that if not heated up once in a while by transmitting it develops some cold solders which make it malfunction causing people to sell them as for parts. A skilled hand at reflowing solder or a quick trip to the rig dr. Could buy you a cheep 2nd rig.
You can take me camping, but apparently you can't make me camp!:S