cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
So one AA battery for a 21 foot LED rope light. I'll bet that wouldn't last that long or be that bright. I know, LED's don't draw a lot of power, I'm just saying 1.5 VDC isn't gonna drive a lot of light for very long.
We have a set of icycle lights we bought last yr that fit across our 14 foot awning. They're the same set-up with 1 battery. They charged during the day and stayed lit all night long for a week. We found them VERY satisfactory....especially for watching the skunks romp in the site during the night!!!!;)
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
So one AA battery for a 21 foot LED rope light. I'll bet that wouldn't last that long or be that bright. I know, LED's don't draw a lot of power, I'm just saying 1.5 VDC isn't gonna drive a lot of light for very long.

That's pretty much what some of the reviews say from people who've bought them.
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
If it's solar, why does it need a battery? Is that to control the flasher? Will it work without one?

Ummm, because the sun shines during the day and they want the lights at night. The solar charges the battery which releases it's power when needed.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
If it's solar, why does it need a battery? Is that to control the flasher? Will it work without one?
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
click here
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

Deputy_Chief_P_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to interupt the bantering, but getting back to the original topic of "Handy Hint, Gadgetss, Products & Gizmos, I would like to add information on what is helpful for us when we boondock in the high sierras.

We use these relatively inexpensive solar rope lights around our screened room and campsite to provide illumination in the dark of the night. Where we go dry camping, the only light at night is the moon or lanterns, these solar rope lights provide us with just enough light to feel like we have outdoor electric lighting.
here is the link for the solar lights: http://www.collectionsetc.com/Product/solar-tube-outdoor-lights.aspx/_/Ntt-solar

PS
Those that wish to continue the fun bantering back and forth may want to start a fun new thread. JMO
My advice is worth what you paid for it!

Both of us are Retired Law Enforcement

2003 Pace Arrow 36B
Ansel Adams Edition
3 slide outs
FMCA
Good Sams Lifetime Member

2014 Jeep Patriot Toad

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
bakerkids wrote:
Sounds like the "tips" my uncle used to pull when I was young. I remember one time he glued a quarter to the concrete pad. People would come by and chat and banter, then they'd exclaim, "Well look there! There's a quarter," while bending to pick it up. The look on their face was priceless when they couldn't lift it.

Now that's funny! I might have to try this one.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the "tips" my uncle used to pull when I was young. I remember one time he glued a quarter to the concrete pad. People would come by and chat and banter, then they'd exclaim, "Well look there! There's a quarter," while bending to pick it up. The look on their face was priceless when they couldn't lift it.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
I was enjoying the banter as well.:p
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

bigun73
Explorer
Explorer
I do not post much but read many of the threads. The chit chat and banter are some of the most interesting things, I laughed for 10 minutes about the water and power then fell out of my chair at the clock with the plug hanging! if those are not "tips, tricks, and hints", I have no idea what is, I was trying to figure out what I had here at home to make some of these up myself for my next camping adventure. I overlook most of the mean and โ€œholier than thouโ€ comments and the ones from the" I know best" category but this just hits me as wrong. All of our time is precious and we must not waste it, but posting several times about your displeasure and intent to unsubscribe to the post is a waste of time as well but I read it also.

Thanks for all the good posts and bad posts

GOD BLESS AMERICA

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stops notifing me after about 5 posts....

dalenoel wrote:
Just 'Subscribe' to it and you will not need to 'bump' it.
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

jagco
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
Sorry you have to read into a comment to find the tip. Sometimes tips aren't for improving a trailer or tow vehicle. Sometimes tips are for having fun. If making an unplugged clock appear to work or a record player appear to draw power from a tree isn't a tip for some fun, then what is it?

I also get notices about new posts to threads I've made comments on, but I don't drop everything to go read them. I set aside some time each day and check them out. Doesn't bother me if it's just banter. Sometimes banter makes me smile. And these days, a smile is a nice thing to have spontaneously appear.

I totally agree!! Seems we need a few more smiles from this forum. I have no problem at all with the posts about having a little fun (I get notified too).
1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes tips aren't for improving a trailer or tow vehicle. Sometimes tips are for having fun. If making an unplugged clock appear to work or a record player appear to draw power from a tree isn't a tip for some fun, then what is it?

Sometimes banter makes me smile. And these days, a smile is a nice thing to have spontaneously appear.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

revrnd
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
When I was young I took a battery powered record player and stuck the plug into the bark of a tree and was playing my music and a little kid came by and saw and heard the music and ran and got his dad telling him I had plugged in my record player and got electricity out of the tree....

Have you never heard of a currant bush?
1986 Monte Carlo SS
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD (P3 controller, Husky WD hitch)
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini Lite

Retired GM of Canada Oshawa Truck Assembly Plant
Opened 1965 Closed 2009