cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

RVnMC
Explorer
Explorer
Shop-Vac 2.5-Gallon 2.5 Peak HP Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum

Wall mounting bracket and on board tool storage
Rear blower port
Top carry handle for portability
Wet or dry pick up
Small and lightweight

http://www.lowes.com/pd_215726-20097-9302011_0__?productId=3339728&Ntt=vacuums&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dvacuums%26page%3D5%26Ns%3Dp_product_price%7C0&facetInfo=

Gfitzgrld
Explorer
Explorer

When I come here to look for helpful hints I don't want read two pages of conversation about what someones dog did on their last trip. Its not a huge thing, it is just the courteous thing to do

your right in that not that many prople post here but 417,924 people have viewed this thread. Half a million people reading an extra 40 pages of personal conversation is a lot of wasted time.
Just saying, people should respect others time.

Simply amazing! Talking of wasted time as you use the biggest time waster of all "The Internet". Some people just need to relax and not take the world so seriously. It leads to stress and who needs stress. Can't we all just get along? Once again, WOW!

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, all I did was post a solution to a problem and ask if anyone had a better one.

What is all the noise about?

Post a solution to a problem or shut up! < solution to a problem.

purdum
Explorer
Explorer
Bofus wrote:

BUMP!
Whew!--I think I said what many other readers wanted to say long ago...

This is just to let you know, you weren't speaking for me. Somebody on here MAY have had a 'handy hint or gadget' to solve Bertnspike's problem. In addition there may have been a few others that could use the info too.

You could have said that to the poster in a private message instead of rudely blasting them publicly. Just sayin'...

WHEW...got that off my chest!

I think you have it backwards. if you want to chit chat send a private message.

When I come here to look for helpful hints I don't want read two pages of conversation about what someones dog did on their last trip. Its not a huge thing, it is just the courteous thing to do

your right in that not that many prople post here but 417,924 people have viewed this thread. Half a million people reading an extra 40 pages of personal conversation is a lot of wasted time.
Just saying, people should respect others time.
93 prowler
99 ford f-350

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Riplin wrote:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
jassrnj wrote:
"""3 dog nights wrote:

This is one of my favorite's. Go to Lowes or HD and get an 18" piece of copper pipe about 3/8 or 1/4 diameter. Put a piece of tape around one end. You now have the greatest tool ever made to keep your campfire going if the wood is wet or a little to green. If you've ever spent the night blowing on a fire trying to keep it going or to get it to flare up again, you will love this. It will turn the smallest flame into a blowtorch in nothing flat.
edit: obviously you blow into the end with the tape."""

Too short and you can burn your nose and eyes ... how hot does the pipe get? You can also burn your lips. Sounds dangerous ... will let my DW try it first.

I just use the air pump used to inflate the air mattress to get the fire going. Kids love it. DW thinks I'm an idiot

If you are that worried about it, get a longer piece of pipe or tubing. You do have to use some common sense, such as not inhaling or leaving it in the fire too long (the tape on the blown end will pretty much eliminate your chances of burning your lips; your fingers holding the tube will let you know long before the end gets hot enough to burn your lips through the tape).

I use the air pump from the air mattress. Does a great Job

I just use a gadget called a fireplace bellows. Got it at a yard sale for $.50. The little strap that holds the handles together was missing. Big whoop. Works great. Even replaced the strap with a short piece of faux leather.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ralphie_Boy
Explorer
Explorer
A photo would help us fully understand the process...Thanks!

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Jeanne M wrote:
Bofus wrote:
BUMP!

This is just to let you know, you weren't speaking for me. Somebody on here MAY have had a 'handy hint or gadget' to solve Bertnspike's problem. In addition there may have been a few others that could use the info too.

You could have said that to the poster in a private message instead of rudely blasting them publicly. Just sayin'...

I totally agree with Jeanne M!
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awning Lock---I've posted this before but will repeat it. Take your awning rod and re-bend the 90 degree end so it's about 8" long. Now go to the back end of your awning and you should see a hole in the end of the awning tube, (this is the same hole you use for the pull down strap when you need to replace it). slide the awning rod into this hole & let it hang down along the rear awning leg. Now take a length of 1/4 inch rope run it through the loop of the awning rod and down through the hole at the awning leg foot. Tie the ends of the rope together pulling down on the awning rod and your awning will not be able to be blown open while traveling. And you always know where your awning rod is when you want to open the awning.

If you want bling make a new awning rod using polished S/S 1/4" rod.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Jeanne_M
Explorer
Explorer
Bofus wrote:
BUMP!

Jeanne & Kenny
2005 Itasca Horizon 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 350
1992 Honda Accord
And Bailey, our furry traveling companion
Good Sam, TT/Naco,PA,RPI,AOR,C2C,FMCA #F151328
Our Pictures

Riplin
Explorer
Explorer
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
jassrnj wrote:
"""3 dog nights wrote:

This is one of my favorite's. Go to Lowes or HD and get an 18" piece of copper pipe about 3/8 or 1/4 diameter. Put a piece of tape around one end. You now have the greatest tool ever made to keep your campfire going if the wood is wet or a little to green. If you've ever spent the night blowing on a fire trying to keep it going or to get it to flare up again, you will love this. It will turn the smallest flame into a blowtorch in nothing flat.

Too short and you can burn your nose and eyes ... how hot does the pipe get? You can also burn your lips. Sounds dangerous ... will let my DW try it first.

I just use the air pump used to inflate the air mattress to get the fire going. Kids love it. DW thinks I'm an idiot

If you are that worried about it, get a longer piece of pipe or tubing. You do have to use some common sense, such as not inhaling or leaving it in the fire too long (the tape on the blown end will pretty much eliminate your chances of burning your lips; your fingers holding the tube will let you know long before the end gets hot enough to burn your lips through the tape).

I use the air pump from the air mattress. Does a great Job

Lady_Fitzgerald
Explorer
Explorer
jassrnj wrote:
"""3 dog nights wrote:

Jeannie

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
jassrnj wrote:
"""3 dog nights wrote:

And....don't inhale...:S
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
"""3 dog nights wrote:

mdock2
Explorer
Explorer
Like TomTom, I use excel for planing, but in a different way. I create my route in Streets and Trips,save the directions from S&T as a webpage. I have Excel get the directions off the page. Exec is pre-set with starting date, current fuel prices (auto update everyweek). I open up another worksheet that only displays my dates, campgrounds, mileage, projected fuel cost, actual fuel cost, budgeted fuel cost, projected cg cost, actual cg cost, budgeted cg cost. Plus I have a column for comments. The end result is that I have all the details for tracking expenses, and projections and where we will be when.
Sounds like a lot of work, but is not. Once u set up the spreadsheet, it's done, and can be used over and over.

marty
Marty (KI4NAI)& Shirley
1998,38' DutchStar F/L Cat

MEMBERSHIPS
FMCA
Bits & Bytes,
Elks International (Webmaster)
FCCC
PPA (Life Member)
Moose
ARRL-ARES
National Park Travelers Club
Visited 158 National Parks
Places we've slept since 2007

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
I was glad to see some action on this forum and enjoyed trying to envision exactingly what Bertnspike was describing..... My opinion? Chit chat is a good thing. ๐Ÿ™‚ (big smile)

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer