cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Scott_85 wrote:
Just finished the whole tread. My tip: I have a piece of pvc pipe cut to the height of the hitch to hook up the truck. It also has lines marked for the width of the slideouts.

Great idea Scott 85. I only have one slideout but two compartments on that side of the 5er. I wrote the measurement for the slideout on the inside of both compartment doors. I keep a small tape measure just inside of the forward compartment. If I have any worry as to if I am to close to something, just takes a couple of seconds to measure to see if I can fit.

"Small tape measure" = easy to loose.

You can do similar with any "device" you always have in a compt:

Ex: A sponge mop, broom, etc. Mark the handle...;)

To each his own. I actually keep a tape measure just inside our 3 compartment doors. So if I lose all 3 tape measures, well I still have one inside the 5er and 2 in the tool box!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

TurboElk
Explorer
Explorer
The apps I like best are "Gas Buddy" "My Tide Times" and.... "Radar Express" so you can see approaching Weather

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We set up at least 18 to 20 times a year, that said I normally just put my finger tips to the trailer and look down the side and can readily tell where our slides will be. We always place water and electric betw'n the slides. The feature with our newest trailer is a remote control for everything outside from the slides to the awning, nice feature. If you work as a team setup time should be no more than 20 to 25 minutes.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
I use a yardstick and mark the depth of all 3 slides on it.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Scott_85 wrote:
Just finished the whole tread. My tip: I have a piece of pvc pipe cut to the height of the hitch to hook up the truck. It also has lines marked for the width of the slideouts.

Great idea Scott 85. I only have one slideout but two compartments on that side of the 5er. I wrote the measurement for the slideout on the inside of both compartment doors. I keep a small tape measure just inside of the forward compartment. If I have any worry as to if I am to close to something, just takes a couple of seconds to measure to see if I can fit.

I know where the depth of my slide comes to on my body with my arm extended. Nothing to pull out or lose...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
"Small tape measure" = easy to loose."

I use a tape measure (carry a couple of them)they are cheap if you lose one.
I've used the same one for nine years now.

When you have 2 you will always have 2. If you have 1, you will shortly have none...........
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
"Small tape measure" = easy to loose."

I use a tape measure (carry a couple of them)they are cheap if you lose one.
I've used the same one for nine years now.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Scott_85 wrote:

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scott_85 wrote:

2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
Jeanne M wrote:
Nerissa30346 wrote:
Hi There, new to forum and love this topic. I have copied and pasted a lot of the wonderful tips, gadgets etc from this forum.

Does anyone use any apps for finding campgrounds etc. I came across the Allstay app, wondered if anyone could provide any feedback.

Thanks,
Nerissa

Yes...one that I use is Camp Finder at CampingRoadTrip.com, Good Sam App, and I use the website rvparkreviews.com most of the time. If you Google rv parks you'll get a slew of websites. Not all have apps but if you have data/wifi abilities on your cell phone, you can use the websites.

Happy hunting!

****Update**** just saw Dutch had suggested RV Parky.
So +1 for his suggestion

My favorite app has a silly name but great selection of places to park.
RV Parky, on Google Play, not sure about Apple
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
No worries...you're not the only one who has ever missed a post! ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just Jeff wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Are you sure its just a piece of pvc, or does it have rubber ends on it, if so, it could be a slide stop.

It isn't a slide stop. It's a distance gauge he cut specifically to the height of the truck's ball, so he knows how high to jack up the trailer's coupler before he backs up the truck. Saves time getting out of the truck to eyeball it. Then he added the markings to measure how far the slide would protrude when extended.

Unless I'm reading this wrong:

Scott_85 wrote:
My tip: I have a piece of pvc pipe cut to the height of the hitch to hook up the truck. It also has lines marked for the width of the slideouts.
OK, my bad, I only read sprint180's post, I didn't read, Scott_85's post, makes more sense now. :S
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Are you sure its just a piece of pvc, or does it have rubber ends on it, if so, it could be a slide stop.

It isn't a slide stop. It's a distance gauge he cut specifically to the height of the truck's ball, so he knows how high to jack up the trailer's coupler before he backs up the truck. Saves time getting out of the truck to eyeball it. Then he added the markings to measure how far the slide would protrude when extended.

Unless I'm reading this wrong:

Scott_85 wrote:
My tip: I have a piece of pvc pipe cut to the height of the hitch to hook up the truck. It also has lines marked for the width of the slideouts.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
On a similar note. I put black electrical tape on our awning rod to allow me to see how far each slide will extend (all four are of course slightly different). So far it has saved at least one CG pedestal..
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or, if it is just pvc, it could be a make shift slide stop after the previous owner lost the original.
Or as others have said, it could be a distance gage.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund