cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
For the paper towel roll, I tied a 6" piece of string to the holder with a "T" pin on the end and when we roll I grab the "T" pin & shove it into the paper towel roll. Works great for us. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

pigroaster
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome idea. I need to do this right away with a trailer I just rebuilt. Thanks for sharing.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Something i have done on our previous camper and now our class c.. I get a roll of actual aluminum duct tape, ( the metal kind for sealing ductwork). And i use it as a reflector material in my rv's tail lights and marker lights. If you have the normal "bargman" brand tail lights that most rv's come with as standard equipment, then you probably know that they seriously lack any kind of relective material in the light housing. And most of the markers lights dont have any at all behind the bulbs! I just take the lenses off, cut the tape to fit, stick it on and instant reflector! And for the marker lights just do the same thing. You will notice a difference. One person i told about this was skeptical until i asked him if he ever saw a car taillight without a reflector inside the lense....
Proud father of a US Marine

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
The paper towels would always unroll while driving in our class C. So i took a 2 litre soda bottle washed it out, cut the top and bottom off to make a tube, then cut the tube lengthwise, viola! Instant paper towel clamp...

Neat idea! We use a rubber band... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
The paper towels would always unroll while driving in our class C. So i took a 2 litre soda bottle washed it out, cut the top and bottom off to make a tube, then cut the tube lengthwise, viola! Instant paper towel clamp...

Neat idea! We use a rubber band... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Proud father of a US Marine

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Glamping wrote:

I'm going to figure out a way to put one of my small tablets on the refrigerator which is near the door (rather than a dry-erase board) to keep grocery lists on. When leaving, I'll be able to just rip the page off on my way out the door.

DJ

I purchased a metal dry erase board/cork board from Walmart for about $8 and mounted it in the kitchen area of our 5er. I purchased some cute notepads at the dollar store and used hot glue to mount it onto some magnetic strips (they had adhesive, but it didn't hold well). I write my grocery and other lists on that and snatch it off on our way out the door. It is also handy to use as a dry-erase to put up phone #s and other essential info, plus when the DDs bring something in, we can pushpin it up for a few days.

I like that! A three-fer! Think I'll try it. Thanks! I love brainstorming.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Glamping wrote:

I'm going to figure out a way to put one of my small tablets on the refrigerator which is near the door (rather than a dry-erase board) to keep grocery lists on. When leaving, I'll be able to just rip the page off on my way out the door.

DJ

I purchased a metal dry erase board/cork board from Walmart for about $8 and mounted it in the kitchen area of our 5er. I purchased some cute notepads at the dollar store and used hot glue to mount it onto some magnetic strips (they had adhesive, but it didn't hold well). I write my grocery and other lists on that and snatch it off on our way out the door. It is also handy to use as a dry-erase to put up phone #s and other essential info, plus when the DDs bring something in, we can pushpin it up for a few days.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Doug. For some reason, nothing is "taking".

Could it be that I'm trying to cut-and-paste?

My first tip is that I like to use a different colored note pad in the trailer than I use in the house. That helps me find my trailer list on the kitchen counter in the house that tends to be a hot spot for miscellaneous paperwork.

I keep an extensive packing list on the computer that is categorized in a table with a separate cells for glamping trips, activities such as biking and kayaking, his and hers sections and such. Before I print it, I delete anything I know we won't be taking. It also includes a section for "things to do before leaving". I have to be sure not to re-save it after I've deleted things. I do have it backed up though.

If we are going to be gone long enough to need to do laundry, we take a change purse with quarters in it for that purpose. It's on the packing list.

I have a 3-tier over-the-door basket hanging gizmo that we call "the office". We keep tablets, pens/pencils, paper clips, etc. in it.

Putting a label on your camera was mentioned. I label nearly everything with at least a phone number (even my prescription sun glasses). I assume the vast majority of people are honest and helpful and would attempt to return a lost item to the owner if there were an easy way to do it. I've had a couple of cameras returned to me.

I keep a plastic bin in the refrigerator that holds sandwich-makings (bread, mayo, mustard, lunch meat, cheese). When I want to make a sandwich, I take the bin out, and everything is ready and handy.

We have a single large sink that I keep a dish pan in. This essentially makes it convertible to one large sink or a double sink.

I try to do as much of the cooking and/or prep at home before we leave as possible. For a recipe that I want to cook at camp, I measure all the spices for that recipe into a small container, so I don't need to take a bottle of each spice. Although I've seen pictures of the magnetic spice containers stuck on the range hood which looks really cute. Almost makes me want to carry around more spices.

I added a small battery powered, motion sensor, auto shut off light to the wardrobe closet. It turns on the second I open the door and shuts itself off after I close it. It was hard to find one, and I finally had to order it online.

An old Norwegian laundry tip: Wear the same underwear for 4 days ... right side out/inside out/forward/backward ... then into the laundry.

I'll save a few ideas to post later.

Happy glamping!

DJ

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Glamping - I'm not sure about length limits but there are some symbols that the website doesn't like, and I think the "percentage sign" is one of them. The forum always gives me an error when I try to post it. There may be others too.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Thanks to all contributors! And thanks for the welcome Popeye59!

I'm trying to post a rather long list of ideas, but I keep getting an error. Is there a limit to length of post?

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome and feel free to add any idea you have, even if it's a modification to a modification someone previously posted. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings!

I'm subscribing to this thread and thank everyone for your input of great ideas. I'm currently on page 96. I can't imagine someone hasn't already submitted any ideas I might have, but don't know yet.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We have moved up from a Class B into a new Class C. I am looking for storage ideas and found this old (popular) thread that I started ten years ago! Great ideas!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

jllarson3
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading on and off for a year or so. Great stuff.

My tips for campfire lighting:

1. A half-cup of vegetable oil poured on the wood lights right off without a whoosh. I haven't tried it on charcoal, but seems it would replace the explosive lighter fluid.

2. We have fire starters we make from the pine or cedar shavings you might get for a hamster, in a cupcake liner, with wax from used candles. It will burn long and hot to get nearly any fire started.

Happy Camping!

John Larson from the Farm in Oregon
2004 Winnebago Chieftain