cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
alliemac9 wrote:
We use squeegees, at home and on the road.

Try that squeegee on the inside of your motor home windshield, LOL

Go to Costco and buy a stack of those micro cloths (they sell a big pile for a few bucks) and you will toss the squeegee!

These things are fantastic for any window or glass surface ie: computer screens on that monitor, eye glasses, to detail the truck and on and on.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

bob-lori-scout
Explorer
Explorer
We're always trying to think of new things for our MH at low cost - we once read on a forum like this: "if it's identified as for an RV, mark it up at least double", so here's some of the things we've come up with (by we I mean usually my idea, my husband's implementation): cork board squares on the refrigerator wall to make a bulletin board, (double-sided eternabond taped on); he made the side pieces for the shower to keep water from coming out by cutting a curved corner plexiglass and putting it in an extra piece of channel that we had left over from our shower wall project, and then attaching to each side of the shower with RV caulk (and used another piece for the end of the counter next to the couch); a leather strap with a snap that attaches to the wall next to the door that we use to contain our walking sticks; a 3M metal hook that also goes by the door for coats or dog leash; a shelf in the bathroom that had a couple of decorative loops at the bottom that we put dowels through to put our hand towels, our bath towels and even our toilet paper on; I don't have pull out shelves yet for pantry items, so I have a couple of Walmart plastic baskets with handles on the end that I can put stuff in and pull out when I need it, plus added a battery powered push light over the top of them to see the supplies; and the next thing we're hoping to do is mount an under-cabinet flat screen TV/DVD player with an 180 degree turn radius on the ceiling of our MH so that we can watch it from the couch or dinette and also from the bed in the rear. We're always looking for more ideas - great forum topic!

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
We use squeegees, at home and on the road.
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
Microfiber works great for wiping down shower and takes up very little space--washcloth size will do it. We also use microfiber bath towels--expensive but take up very little storage space and dry very quickly. Because we have downsized to a smaller rig, space is at a premium and I was willing to give up my big, fluffy, towels. I get mine from Merry Microfiber, or something like that, on-line--not the Walmart quality. I did see some at one of the major bath stores, but not where the towels were, at about $20/each.

I also do not use grocery store, name brand, soap. That helps a lot. The boutique soaps last a lot longer so really don't cost all that much more.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use bar soap in the shower and it left terrible soap scum. Then I switched to liquid soap and there is very little scum. I have tried several different ones (all house brands) and none have left much soap scum.

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
horseylady wrote:

We also store a lot in our shower when traveling--dirty clothes hamper and a few cleaning products. I always wipe the shower down after use so not sure how that would work. Input?

Actually, if you wipe the shower nearly every time it's used, you should be able to get by with no shower cleaner need at all. I keep an old towel hanging nearby and wipe the shower with it, then hang it to dry. That's all it's used for. It works like a charm (as long as it's used.) I do the same at home, too, for our clear glass 6' shower. (Lotta area for streakiness and dirty shower to show there!) When several people use it and DON'T wipe it, the soap scum dries on it and doesn't wipe off as easily. In that case I spray some Scrubbing Bubbles - actually, its Dollar General knockoff - and let it sit there while I'm dressing. Then when I wipe down the shower any buildup that might be there is still light, dissolves easily, and is wiped off when I dry the shower.

I do actually spray the floor every time, but only because I rub down with grapeseed oil as a moisturizer and I want to be sure that the oil comes completely clean so it's not a safety hazard.

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has a thin, retracting, plastic-like door. Has anyone used the Arm & Hammer shower cleaner on doors, other than glass? Also, one of the bathrooms in my house has an expensive shower curtain with see-through insets. What about on something like that? Sounds great.

We also store a lot in our shower when traveling--dirty clothes hamper and a few cleaning products. I always wipe the shower down after use so not sure how that would work. Input?

This is a great forum. Thanks everyone.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

Ryan_F
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
StanleyandIris wrote:
Haven't read every post but here is something everyone with an bathroom shower should get - the Scubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. Never have to clean the shower walls or floor again. Just press the button after every use and it stays clean. Keeps glass doors clean too. About $25, takes 2 AA batteries and you buy refills. Really, really good.

Iris

Or Arm & Hammer Clean Shower. Many recommendations on RV.net. No batteries needed or $25 applicator needed. Just spray it on after using shower. Have not had to clean the shower since we started using it after reading about it here on RV.net several years ago. Thank your RV.net!!! (DW thought I was nuts when I brought it home, now she picks it up automatically)

will have to get that Arm & Hammer shower cleaner and make most of the benefit.
๐Ÿ™‚
Online Cheap Caravans Guide

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
StanleyandIris wrote:
Haven't read every post but here is something everyone with an bathroom shower should get - the Scubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. Never have to clean the shower walls or floor again. Just press the button after every use and it stays clean. Keeps glass doors clean too. About $25, takes 2 AA batteries and you buy refills. Really, really good.

Iris

Or Arm & Hammer Clean Shower. Many recommendations on RV.net. No batteries needed or $25 applicator needed. Just spray it on after using shower. Have not had to clean the shower since we started using it after reading about it here on RV.net several years ago. Thank your RV.net!!! (DW thought I was nuts when I brought it home, now she picks it up automatically)
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

garlic
Explorer
Explorer
3M plastic windows to keep out the cold.....
It is a film that attaches to a double sided sticky tape one puts around the inside frame of the window. Place the plastic as best you can and then hit it with a hair dryer. It stretches nice and tight. If it gets punctured, a little scotch tape will repair it. Makes a BIG difference in warmth inside our 30 ft 5th wheel. It is not all that easy as I must remove all the window treatments to get to the top of the windows.

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
garlic wrote:
16. 3M plastic windows to keep out Christmas cold in Dallas.

It this an actual window? Or a film/tint type of item?
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

ESquared
Explorer
Explorer
What a fantastic wealth of knowledge you all are! I have a great list of things I want to do in our new TT (we are picking it up Labor Day weekend).

The only hint I can add at this point is to use "pre foaming" handsoap, it is great for those of us who dry camp and have a limited water supply.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
#12, thank you !!!
garlic wrote:
Some may be repeats but these are what this pair of snow-birds use.
1. Rug in living area CAN be replaced with a good pad.
2. Floating (Pergo-type) flooring from kitchen to door makes more sense than a rug at the entry door.
3. Vertical braces in cellar to permit high stacking of long items
4. Digital thermostat
5. Spring loaded curtain rods keep many cabinet items in the cabinets (and fridge)
6. Quick disconnects on hoses make set-up/take-down easy and fast.
7. Permanently affixed bungee cords to the ceiling/back wall of the behind the pick-up area of the 5th, makes hose storage easy.
8. 5 gal plastic bucket with cover is a great storage can for sewer hose parts.
9. Inverter and 120V air pump works faster than any 12V pump.
10. Used "squeeze out an ounce" fuel stabilizer container makes a great miserly dispenser for black water treatments.
11. Unused magnet mount CB antenna stuck to the fifth wheel hitch makes a great hook-up alignment device (my folding tonneau cover blocks my vision).
12. Spring loaded curtain rods keep bedroom sliding mirror doors in place and don't break like the original little plastic clips.
13. An electric fry pan used outside keeps fish odors outside.
14. 1500W ceramic heaters are great BUT when temps dip below 32, use the furnace to keep water lines from freezing in the undercarriage (and why do I know about that?).
15. A vacuum with a beater bar is best for getting the sand up.
17. Bubble wrap with foil on both sides cut to size to cover the windows we want to be able to open for more draft control.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

garlic
Explorer
Explorer
Some may be repeats but these are what this pair of snow-birds use.
1. Rug in living area CAN be replaced with a good pad.
2. Floating (Pergo-type) flooring from kitchen to door makes more sense than a rug at the entry door.
3. Vertical braces in cellar to permit high stacking of long items
4. Digital thermostat
5. Spring loaded curtain rods keep many cabinet items in the cabinets (and fridge)
6. Quick disconnects on hoses make set-up/take-down easy and fast.
7. Permanently affixed bungee cords to the ceiling/back wall of the behind the pick-up area of the 5th, makes hose storage easy.
8. 5 gal plastic bucket with cover is a great storage can for sewer hose parts.
9. Inverter and 120V air pump works faster than any 12V pump.
10. Used "squeeze out an ounce" fuel stabilizer container makes a great miserly dispenser for black water treatments.
11. Unused magnet mount CB antenna stuck to the fifth wheel hitch makes a great hook-up alignment device (my folding tonneau cover blocks my vision).
12. Spring loaded curtain rods keep bedroom sliding mirror doors in place and don't break like the original little plastic clips.
13. An electric fry pan used outside keeps fish odors outside.
14. 1500W ceramic heaters are great BUT when temps dip below 32, use the furnace to keep water lines from freezing in the undercarriage (and why do I know about that?).
15. A vacuum with a beater bar is best for getting the sand up.
17. Bubble wrap with foil on both sides cut to size to cover the windows we want to be able to open for more draft control.

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
StanleyandIris wrote:
Haven't read every post but here is something everyone with an bathroom shower should get - the Scubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner.

This is a fantastic product. I personally prefer to just wipe dry after a shower, but for those who don't want to bother, it's fabulous. The harder your water, the better it works. We bought our 5th wheel from my in-laws and I sure wish that they'd used it. The good thing is that even if you have buildup, using it every day will eventually even get rid of that.