cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
a great outside camp light. Take a 5 gallon bucket. Secure a light fixture to the inside of the lid--silicone the screw holes. Cut a notch on the container just below the lid to pass the cord through. Mine is a green bucket with a white lid and does not attract bugs. Also makes a good foot rest and small table.
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible

darrentonya
Explorer
Explorer
When we know that it is going to rain we put painters plastice up on the sides of our awning and we can still hang out outside even if the rain is blowing and none of our stuff gets wet.

MudBetweenMyToe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a total newbie and am only half way through this thread, but wanted to thank everyone for all the great ideas. I've copied eight pages of info into a document so far!

We are using the Sterilite stacking drawers for the kid's clothing, but there is some dead space left at the front of the closet cabinet. I'm going to buy either a Days-of-the-week Hanging Organizer from Lillian Vernon or a Bunk Bed Organizer to stow the kids underwear and socks.
Complete Newbies Judie & Ruby (Ruben) + 3 rugrats (ages 3, 5, 7)
1997 Ford F250 Super Cab 4x4 7.3L V8 Diesel with Banks Kit
(with incredibly uncomfortable seatbelts)
1994 Layton Skyline 2720 Limited 5th Wheel

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
skrams wrote:
lasparrot wrote:
for the steps, how about hinging one of the treads and then you have a little storage area inside for bug spray, sunscreen, etc. Just stick them in a little plastic bin and they are safe from mud, etc.

Any suggestions for lifting the tread without destroying it?

I'm not a carpenter and only quickly looked at the photos, but how about not nailing one of the treads and having it held in place with a little piece of wood at each end, under the tread?

|' '| (pretty lame!)
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our rig, the walk-through guy gave us one of those inexpensive plastic wood clamps. He told us every time we raise our TV antenna or roof vent, to put that clamp on the steering wheel. Then, when we start to leave, we'd always remember to lower the antenna and/or vent. So far, it's worked really well.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
lasparrot wrote:
for the steps, how about hinging one of the treads and then you have a little storage area inside for bug spray, sunscreen, etc. Just stick them in a little plastic bin and they are safe from mud, etc.

Any suggestions for lifting the tread without destroying it?
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

fleetwoodmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little crock-pot that I use in the trailer. I was worried about the glass lid flopping around during travel and getting broken. So, I stole one of my daughter's thin elastic headbands. I put the lid on the crock-pot upside down, then loop the headband around each handle and the lid stays secure.

In our 5th wheel, I have the side of the bed that is closest to the closet and I have no bed-side table. So, I bought one of these and hang it in the closet on the wire shelf. It works great to keep my glasses, reading book, chapstick, flashlight, etc handy at night
2010 Jamboree Sport 31M

stevienext
Explorer
Explorer
We have two kids who sleep in bunks. They are still small (ages 5 and 9) and don't take up much bed space, so I gave them each a Rubbermade tote to keep toys, binoculars, craft supplies, etc. in and stow it at the foot of the bunks. They are out of site, and keep their stuff neat and organized.

Hanging up our awning lights was such a chore! I used wooden clothespins and glued them together in pairs so that one is pointing up and the other is pointing downward. I also spray painted them to match our red lights. Now hanging is much easier. One end clips to the light string and the other clips to the awning.

I like candles, but it seemed to be a bad idea to have one lit inside our trailer with two kids and a dog romping around. Instead, I bought a "flameless" vanilla-scented candle that runs on batteries and looks/smells like the real thing---even flickers! It puts me in the mood...

At bedtime, I give the kids glow-sticks from the local dollar store so they can find their way to the bathroom without tripping or stepping on the dog. Also make them (and the dog) wear one as a bracelet or necklace at night around the campsite---we can see where they are!

We think our pop-up trashcan (in two sizes) is indispensable. We have a smaller size in the SUV with us, and a large one that we keep outside near the picnic table. We DO empty it daily---don't want to attract raccoons (or worse, bears!). My galley trash can is small and would fill up too quickly without the outside can. We keep the trashbags in place around it with clothespins.

I keep a cheap little outdoor thermometer with a suction cup attached in the galley drawer, and when we pitch camp, I slap it on the outside of the kitchen window. I can see at a glance how to dress the kids in the morning or if hubby needs a jacket when he walks the dog.

I bought one of those slim water jugs with a spigot that fits compactly on the fridge shelf and use it for cold tea and lemonade.

Also purchased several sizes of "under-shelf baskets" that clip on to an existing shelf to add extra storage space in the pantry.

We like sipping wine out of acrylic wine glasses---they look real but won't break.

Those magnetic spice jars are handy. You can put up some metal sheet strips inside the pantry door and attach the little jars right to the door to save space.

stroker05
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Nice faucet! I love "bar" -type faucets, with the high loop. Makes using the sink so much easier. The only problem we run into (we have one in our bathroom in our house) is young kids... they don't hold their hands down in the sink when washing, so water will too often splash all over the place.

So true...lucky for us we are almost past that problem beings our youngest is 15 going on 45...LOL! Sure makes it nice for us adults washing.
KZCRAZY

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Nice faucet! I love "bar" -type faucets, with the high loop. Makes using the sink so much easier. The only problem we run into (we have one in our bathroom in our house) is young kids... they don't hold their hands down in the sink when washing, so water will too often splash all over the place.

stroker05
Explorer
Explorer
We have added this faucet to our bathroom.
The difficult part was installing the drain plug that operates by using the pull rod behind the faucet. Was tired of the plug in the bottom of the sink.
KZCRAZY

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
pasusan wrote:
ridesabout wrote:
I had one of the plastic filler hoses and threw it away after the plastic hose came off the valve. I was afraid it would fall in the tank the next time. I purchased a short valve in the garden department--available in brass or plastic--at Home Depot. It hase hose threads on both ends. Fastened it to my fresh water hose and a short piece of an old fresh water hose to the other end. Serves the same purpose but will not fall apart.

Well, gee whiz. Now I'm scared about this thing falling apart!

Thanks for the warning...

When I had one that loosened up, I used a dab of "Marine Goop" to hold it in place. It would've taken a knife to cut it off after that.

I love Goop! I just did that to mine - will test it tomorrow!

I should have mentioned that I roughed up the plastic with sandpaper first. If it doesn't stick for you, give that a try.

Dutch
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
pasusan wrote:
ridesabout wrote:
I had one of the plastic filler hoses and threw it away after the plastic hose came off the valve. I was afraid it would fall in the tank the next time. I purchased a short valve in the garden department--available in brass or plastic--at Home Depot. It hase hose threads on both ends. Fastened it to my fresh water hose and a short piece of an old fresh water hose to the other end. Serves the same purpose but will not fall apart.

When I had one that loosened up, I used a dab of "Marine Goop" to hold it in place. It would've taken a knife to cut it off after that.

I love Goop! I just did that to mine - will test it tomorrow!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
ridesabout wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate