cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
Time to bump this up a notch!!
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

jjammo
Explorer
Explorer
In our motorhome, we only use our overhead TV when traveling and set up our 32" LCD on the dash when staying longterm. We found the perfect size picture frame that holds several of our photos that we cover the overhead TV using velcro tabs. Makes for nice decor covering the unused TV.
USAF Retired
1999 National Tropi-Cal 36'
03 Ford Ranger,4x4,auto w/Remco, air-lift susp.
Brake Buddy Classic
09 Polaris Ranger RZR 800

jjammo
Explorer
Explorer
The canvas shoe holders work great for holding the spare propane bottles and keep them from rolling around. Mount to the wall of any storage compartment.
USAF Retired
Brake Buddy Classic

jjammo
Explorer
Explorer
For convenience and security when power is available. I bought a worklight with the squeeze clamp and aluminum hood. I then bought a motion sensor and mounted it outside the entry door. Then added the corresponding receiver for the lightbulb and added to the worklight. This makes a great portable motion/security light that I can attach most anywhere. It's great when going outside or when coming home after dark. It can also be added to the otherside of your RV so it lights up the area when movement is detected by wildlife or people. The cost for the motion sensor and receiver is approx $25-$30 at any home improvement store.
USAF Retired
Brake Buddy Classic

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this Universal Lid for pots and pans in a catalog today.

I performed an Internet search and found some others but their prices were a lot higher.

I thought it would save some space for RVers.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Cruzette wrote:
CQ wrote:
A simple tip about cooking. Whenever I make bacon I fry up the entire package.

I pre-cook a 5 lb package of thick sliced bacon up in my George Foreman Grill. Takes about 7-8 minutes for about 4 or 5 pieces. Allow to cool on some paper towels, place all in a gallon Ziplock baggie, burp and seal and then freeze. Pull out what you need when you need it and microwave for about a minute for 4-5 pieces.

Thanks...Great idea
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

maryshus
Explorer
Explorer
Found this thread by accident. What a find! Enjoy reading all the great ideas. My addition is using my Food-Saver, great for the freezer and I use it after the holidays to pack the spices I use for holiday baking. Making the spices airtight keeps them fresh. We always use it for the meat and veggies in the freezer. Not only take up less room but no freezer burn.

campandride
Explorer
Explorer
Cruzette wrote:
campandride - about foam toppers wrote:
I've thought about doing this...so....what's the verdict? Class C or Class A? Bed over cab, wondering if the extra few inches would impact "roll over space".... ๐Ÿ™‚

Campandride, I bought a 3 inch foam topper for our 5er, it made a world of difference. I bought it at Overstock.com

Hi/Thanks Judy! Seems like 3" would be too thick....I think I'll go for a 1-1/2 to 2" topper (although my bed is very comfortable and I sleep just fine, but a memory foam topper would make it all that much more comfortable!) I'm afraid with 3", I would be too close to the ceiling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

missruth
Explorer
Explorer
I looked all over for this wondering fount of information.
Ruth and Jim
'01 Ford F150

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
campandride - about foam toppers wrote:
I've thought about doing this...so....what's the verdict? Class C or Class A? Bed over cab, wondering if the extra few inches would impact "roll over space".... ๐Ÿ™‚

Campandride, I bought a 3 inch foam topper for our 5er, it made a world of difference. I bought it at Overstock.com
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
CQ wrote:
A simple tip about cooking. Whenever I make bacon I fry up the entire package.

I pre-cook a 5 lb package of thick sliced bacon up in my George Foreman Grill. Takes about 7-8 minutes for about 4 or 5 pieces. Allow to cool on some paper towels, place all in a gallon Ziplock baggie, burp and seal and then freeze. Pull out what you need when you need it and microwave for about a minute for 4-5 pieces.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
We use hat lights on our ball caps to walk the dogs. We have 2 dogs and if I have to walk both it's really nice, free hands to hold leashes plus I can see where I'm at/going!

kwuj
Explorer
Explorer
L&MMusic wrote:
Finally came across something nifty enough to post about!

One of our dogs is a pitch black English Cocker, only 22 pounds, half deaf and half blind. Occassionally, I'll let her out in the yard without putting her on a leash (at home), but I really prefer knowing where she is. Just can't see her in the dark!!! The local hardware store had a clip-on "Safety Strobe" at the check out counter. Only $3.00. Clips on a belt or, in my case, her collar. Turn it on with the press of a button, and voila! I know where she is!!

We used one of those on our toddler!! We've used it while camping & at home when out after dark (and at night-time neighborhood parties) so we don't always have to hold his hand to know exactly where he was!!
2005 Chevy Suburban Z71
2008 Jayco 232

HappyTrailsRVin
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea, we have a white dog, so don't have that problem. It would work good when walking the dog when it is too dark or bad weather.
Alicia and Roger
Mission, TX (winter)
Travel (summer)
94' Safari Motor Home

L_MMusic
Explorer
Explorer
Finally came across something nifty enough to post about!

One of our dogs is a pitch black English Cocker, only 22 pounds, half deaf and half blind. Occassionally, I'll let her out in the yard without putting her on a leash (at home), but I really prefer knowing where she is. Just can't see her in the dark!!! The local hardware store had a clip-on "Safety Strobe" at the check out counter. Only $3.00. Clips on a belt or, in my case, her collar. Turn it on with the press of a button, and voila! I know where she is!!
Melissa
Husband Larry
Cocker Spaniel Henry
2008 F-350 Dually Short Bed
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS
Reese 16K Hitch w/ Kwik Slide

Whatever you can do, or DREAM you can, BEGIN it. BOLDNESS has genius, power and MAGIC in it. (Goethe)