cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
PAUL3500HD wrote:
I have posted this in the past but maybe some new folks would like to look at it.
It is an easy screen door opener that allows you to open the screen door with out opening the plastic slider and you can do this with one finger
There are more pictures and measurements in my pictures below.

Did this one in about 15 minutes,a bike spoke for a buck and a cork that was laying around,plus a bit of dremel 'tuning'
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
My new mission in life, to bump this up!

CarNDen
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a space blanket at a sports shop, cut it to fit the big picture window in the living room. I sewed a rod pocket in top, inserted a long tension rod which fits in the window frame. I previously tried velcro to hold up the cover but the velcro won't hold in this heat. It makes a big difference when the sun shines on that back window.

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
Some Walmart stores have displays of items "As Seen on TV". That's where you can find these lights, the foldable colander, and many other gadgets.

As for those lights, I discarded the tapes attached to them when my first install fell down, and put Velcro on to hold them up. I had a problem with one of the lights. I'm not sure if the magnet slipped or what, but it came on when the pantry was closed and the batteries ran down.
Kathy :B

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip scrapz,will do.
We are comin thru the states in a couple of weeks on our way to Alberta and plan on picking up all the stuff not normaly availble here(at a fair price:)
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Scrapz
Explorer
Explorer
Hone Eagle, check ebay for those lights. Search for Quick Brite LED lights. I put them in my mh pantry and the cabinets under the kitchen sink.
Kathy :B

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Havn't seen those LED lights here in Canada yet, the kind for drawers? They light up when you open a door or slide back the drawer? They would be awesome for storage compartments,no wiring just peel and stick.
I use those round stick up lights with 3 LED's in them , just push on the lens and they light up, battery lasts for days if you forget to turn it off.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to Rene's spatter screen: Spatter screen
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

wgtex
Explorer
Explorer
For all of y'all that like to feed the birds, we found(actually BIL found them - but I don't like give him credit -lol) collapsable bird feeders at Walgreens. For a buck 99, we picked up a couple. They are easy to store.
Y'all have fun now!!

Wendell

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
I used to hate to crawl under the trailer when trying to get the straps to the trailer cover under the chassis. I took a 12 inch section from an old broom handle, drilled a hole in the end and secured about a 10 foot section of good strong cord with a snare loop at the end. Now when I have to get those straps under the trailer, I loop my cord around it, cinch it tight and toss the broom handle under the trailer to the other side and pull the straps with it. Works great for air hoses too!

Enjoy!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
mehardy wrote:

Who has a hint or gizmo for keeping your awning away from the door? Mine rubs even when I raise the awning as high as it will go. The door has rounded corners. THANKS!

mehardy;
Just go to Camping World and look for door rollers...little wheels that you put on the corners of your doors to keep the awning out of the way. They are designed for square corner doors but work just as well for the rounded ones too. You'll find them with the awning stuff.
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

Rene_and_Nick
Explorer
Explorer
I love the great tips! Thank you, everyone!
Here's the Grease Splatter Shield I use on the stove. Folds flat, costs $5.98 or two for $10.98.

http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/_/Grease-Splatter-Shield/productID/7b57b811-b259-4357-94e1-97e77410c761/categoryID/703d0423-3aa7-42b4-9c65-a956aaa1fc05/

Edit: Thank you, Dee and Bob, for creating the link in your post below! I'm not very handy with things like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cruzette
Explorer
Explorer
Time for another bump!

I keep all of my liquid items like oils & syrups in plastic baskets. It keep everything from sliding around and if anything spills, it's caught on the bottom of the plastic basket and easy to clean. These baskets are a great way of organizing a lot of stuff in an RV. Canned goods, hair products.

I didn't have my dishwashing soap in a plastic basket and it fell over while traveling. I had the cap closed, but that didn't stop the detergent from oozing out when the RV was in storage. Our cabinets have a cushy fabric that lines them. The spilled detergent was a real mess to clean up off of that fabric :E I now keep my dishwashing liquid in a plastic basket too.
It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you :B

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
GailS wrote:
The "Today's Special Value" on QVC is a 10 piece collapsible silicone kitchen gadget set. Looks interesting for RV owners since we don't have a lot of storage space. Today only at this price.

Gail
I bought the collapsible measuring cups....and the 1 cup TORE after the 3rd use!! And I only put sugar and flour in it!! I'm taking it back to the store the next time I head there!
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

rocknrollpro
Explorer
Explorer
Stewart_H wrote:
rocknrollpro wrote:
Who do we have to talk to, to get this made as a thread?

You mean a "sticky".

By it's very nature, when it was first created, it was a thread.

Stewart

Yea, yea, a sticky!
Rocky
"Everydayz a Holiday"

2001 Ford F250 2WD Lariat Super Cab 7.3
2003 Outback 28' fiver 527RLS
1972 Ford F350 22' Beaver C Class!