cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat Coil

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Receiving a new trailer next week, Outback 323BH. Saw an add on for the AC, a heating element. Thought it would be a great idea for the cool mornings, just to knock the chill off. I know this is counterproductive if in freezing weather, since the heat won't go into the belly........ With that being said, how does it control the temperature? Do I turn it on fan? Looks plug and play, but if I select heat on the thermostat, it kicks the furnace on.... Thanks in advance!

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler
24 REPLIES 24

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours, and it works down to just below 40. It takes the morning chill off, which I like without running the furnace. Last winter in Del Rio, we used most of the time. Used the furnace one or two times.

I'm having the rear ac repaired. If it needs replaced the one with the heating unit is going in.

When it gets too cold to function, the furnace and portable fireplace heater goes to work.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
A heat pump unit and a heat strip add on are 2 different things.
Other than being a little noisy. They are great to about 40 deg.
They make no more noise than your A/C.

Yes, I know they are two different things.....and generally, heat pumps are good to the mid-30's, but below that, there is not anymore heat to pull from the air. Which is why heat pumps are not in the northern states. However, using ceiling ducted heat is not good near freezing, I would rather run the furnace for the benefits of the sealed and warmed belly. So, down into the 50's is what I am looking for just to knock out a little of the chill.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what that heat strip costs but a $20 portable cube heater will put out the same amount of heat. Also the benefit of the portable heater is that you can put it anywhere you want it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
A heat pump unit and a heat strip add on are 2 different things.
Other than being a little noisy. They are great to about 40 deg.
They make no more noise than your A/C.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I wasn't looking for a complete heat replacement, but more so of something to knock the chill out.... With that being said, what about the heat pumps for roof units now? I am going to add a 2nd ac, but would it be worth moving the first AC to the framed spot and putting in a Heat Pump where the ducting and what not is at?

Thoughts??

Cale

path1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi path1,

And what exactly is wrong with 5118 btu's? (btw that is 50 candles).

To the OP, my thermostat has a setting for heat strip.

My opinion on these things are they have to heat up, starting at the top of the area it is trying to heat (ceiling) and then heat up all the air all the way down to where people are sitting?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
the A/C fan moves too much air to do any good with the heat strip. as mentioned, a waste of money. I had one and I really should have bought something else with that money.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
A heat strip does little more than warm the air.
Had one years ago. Real waste of $$.

Get yourself a heater you can plug in. Put in a location that best works for you.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi path1,

And what exactly is wrong with 5118 btu's? (btw that is 50 candles).

To the OP, my thermostat has a setting for heat strip.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We decided no way. Look at the BTU's it put out, Better off lighting a candle IMO and just something else to break.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"