cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heat Coil

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Receiving a new trailer next week, Outback 323BH. Saw an add on for the AC, a heating element. Thought it would be a great idea for the cool mornings, just to knock the chill off. I know this is counterproductive if in freezing weather, since the heat won't go into the belly........ With that being said, how does it control the temperature? Do I turn it on fan? Looks plug and play, but if I select heat on the thermostat, it kicks the furnace on.... Thanks in advance!

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler
24 REPLIES 24

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If you think a heat strip is expensive, be prepared for "sticker shock" when you look at the so called "cheap heat" system.

I've "rolled my own" for about $250.00 total cost.
X2 What an overpriced piece of junk! Do the same thing with an electric box heater or two for about 1% of the cost and you don't wear out or have to listen to your furnace fan either..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you think a heat strip is expensive, be prepared for "sticker shock" when you look at the so called "cheap heat" system.

I've "rolled my own" for about $250.00 total cost.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an electric furnace addon to your existing lp furnace that is available. It blows warm air through the same ducts as your lp furnace and might warrant a closer look.
http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and since a heat pump puts out air at about 85 degrees, it feels cool when you sit in a draft of it. I've had about 8 of them over the years, including the infamous HP83111 by Leonnex and they all suck.
bumpy

ShapeShifter
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to get opinions as to what will effectively "take out the chill" as different people have different temperature sensitivities, and are comforted by different amounts of heat. Someone may say that a particular heat source is enough to make them comfortable, but it may not be enough for you. Or it could go the other way: someone may say it's not enough, but you might think it's just fine. As an example, DW and I can never agree on temperatures, so we compromise: she's cold and I'm too warm.

The heat strip will put out about the same amount of heat as a hair dryer. So if you think that'll be enough heat for you, then go for it (the heat strip, of course, the hair drying is not designed for long term use!) You have to decide if the convenience is worth the cost (a portable heater is the same heat, but less expensive.)

For about the same amount of electricity, a heat pump will put out a lot more heat than a heat strip, but still not as much heat as a propane furnace. Of course, the heat pump costs a lot more than a heat strip. And while a good residential heat pump may work down to about 30 degrees, the RV units seem to cut off around 40 degrees - mine must have an outside temperature sensor, because once the outside temperature drops to below 40, the heat pump shuts down and the furnace automatically takes over.
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We had a unit with a heat strip and it worked just fine for what it did, take the chill off. We had our unit for 7 years and never had any problem with our compressor from running the heat strip and it always our first chojce when the temps dipped. We now have heat pumps and they work great. We have 2 units and both are also heat pumps. When our furnace quit working, we were able to stay warm using the bedroom heat pump. We have not filled a propane tank since February and that includes time exercising the LP generator. So the heat pumps do help to minimize propane usage.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
I had one, used it frequently and it does exactly what you want it to do,take the chill off. If you turn it on and expect instant heat, yo will be disappointed.

Thanks, what I am looking for. With kids and pets running around, I don't have to worry so much about space heater safety.... Plus, to get a couple of nice heaters will cost about as much as the heat strip... Not too worried about saving electricity, since I don't pay for it anyway...even if I did have to pay for it, it would keep me from turning the furnace on and use propane.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bumpy,

Installing the heat strip is pretty low tech for someone who does DIY. Cost for materials is a bit more than a stand alone heater at around $70.00. Time required is well under 20 minutes.

I've separated out the control for the furnace with a second thermostat so I can run the heat strip--and if it gets too cool the propane furnace will cut in.

That said, my RV came with the heat strip already in place--and I would rather have had a heat pump. If the air conditioner fails I'll probably upgrade it to a heat pump.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I had one, used it frequently and it does exactly what you want it to do,take the chill off. If you turn it on and expect instant heat, yo will be disappointed.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
1500 watts is about 5200 BTUs. It won't matter if it's a heat strip, electric fireplace, "Amish" heater or milkhouse type heater. They all put out the same amount of heat for the same amount of power. Why waste more energy to run your A/C fan or other just to try and blow that little amount of heat around?

because they wasted the $200 to install the heat coils and it is easier to laud how wonderful it is instead of admitting that it was a waste of about $180.
bumpy

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
1500 watts is about 5200 BTUs. It won't matter if it's a heat strip, electric fireplace, "Amish" heater or milkhouse type heater. They all put out the same amount of heat for the same amount of power. Why waste more energy to run your A/C fan or other just to try and blow that little amount of heat around?
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
I have a heat strip in my ceiling ac unit. I love it. Last night, 40 outside, 70 inside. It is not an instant heat. It is ducted. I have 4 ac/heat vents across the rv. The furnace has 2 vents. The furnace is hotter and quicker. I also have a small ceramic heater. At 40 deg. the little thing was working it's butt off. Last night is the first time I turned on the furnace. Well worth the money in my opinion.
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a waste of money. a $17 ceramic cube is better. and you aren't wearing out your AC fan motor or hearing that noise, nor being charged extra in the campground for using electric heat. if you have ducted air, most of your heat will be lost anyway.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
A heat pump unit and a heat strip add on are 2 different things.
Other than being a little noisy. They are great to about 40 deg.
They make no more noise than your A/C.

This is the correct answer.

People try the heat strip for a few minutes and expect instant warmth. If you let it run, it will indeed work well in cool weather.