cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heated Water Hose

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at going full time and want to get a heated water hose, would like to know the best?
Joe
2000 REXHALL AERBUS 37' DIESEL
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS
27 REPLIES 27

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ECO718QB wrote:
Can one or more of you please be very specific about how you wrap your hose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RGlcLSrM4

Three2roam
Explorer
Explorer
DaveKubler wrote:
so using the heat tape from Lowes with the thermostat built-in on my white water hose is actually making my water run hot for about 10 seconds till it clears does everyone else experience that?

yes. this has been normal for me.

DaveKubler
Explorer
Explorer
so using the heat tape from Lowes with the thermostat built-in on my white water hose is actually making my water run hot for about 10 seconds till it clears does everyone else experience that?

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
ECO718QB wrote:
Can one or more of you please be very specific about how you wrap your hose?

I just went through this and switched mine over to PVC. I than ran heat cable along it and covered that in foam insulation. Then I wrapped it all in duct tape. For the mostly mild winter here in N/VA I think I'll be set. I have maybe 3 hours in the whole 25' project.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

ECO718QB
Explorer
Explorer
Can one or more of you please be very specific about how you wrap your hose? FYI: If I remember correctly (and this was probably overkill), I wrapped the hose with insulation, then used electrical tape to secure the heat tape to the hose already wrapped in insulation. Then I wrapped it AGAIN with the insulation, then wrapped with plastic to keep the whole thing from getting wet when in the snow. Then secured the foam tube around the whole thing with electrical tape again.

In CO during the entire 2009-10 winter, the water in my little 18' TT only froze 5 nights. I'm in Denver again for the entire winter. I will be in the hospital/rehab for several weeks and my 80 yr old mom will be staying in my RV. I do NOT want her to have water trouble and am willing to do overkill if that what it takes. I honestly simply cannot remember exactly what I did before. Your thoughts would be most appreciated!! Oh, and the utilities in this RV park are all UNDER the unit, not to the side like in most parks; therefore, you can't hook/unhook hoses as needed. Thank you!

Three2roam
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Pirit heated hose as I really liked the idea better than taping heat tape to the hose then insulating and creating a bulky hose to deal with. The Pirit hose was cheaper than many others I looked at but was imported and i never had any success with it. It seems like the thermostat does not work or something as it always froze up. They replaced it (free of charge) three times and each time it failed. I ended up going the heat tape and insulation route and have not had a problem since.
I was thinking of trying one of the american made hoses but they are expensive.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hose that I put heat tape on and then covered with tub insulation. Works great but have not used in about 7 years. I just use my clean water tank and if it warms up I will put regular hose on. Biggest problem the faucets that stick up out of the ground must also have heat tape and insulation. I found just easier to use clean tank. it works great.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a Pirit heated hose for a month now...been into the low teens...no problem, works great!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a GOOGLE IMAGES search results...
I looked for 'HEATED WATER HOSE' ... Click on the view that catches your eye and find the source...

HEATED WATER HOSE

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Carolina_Cruise
Explorer
Explorer
Use the heat tape method with foam insulation. We have a 25 foot hose and a 30ft tape. The extra tape on one end is left out in the compartment the hook ups are in and the end with the thermostat is wrapped around the spigot. The campground we are at now has both frost free and pvc piped spigots. Ours is PVC so we covered it with a trash can. We have had no issues and had temps in the teens several times. If you read the reviews on the heated hoses, and then add the price of the hose, save yourself some money. When the weather warms, I change to another hose and take the foam off the hose with the heattape and store it with it still attached. Gives me the chance to inspect the tape.
Albert & Tamara, the dogs Casey & Cody, Living the simple life.

God never said Saved by Grace;kept by performance.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Besides considering a heated water hose, also consider the faucet at the campground needs to be wrapped with heat tape &/or insulated or,under pressure in extreme cold it will freeze and even though you may have a heated water hose--you may have no water.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Mike_and_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Pirit hose as a gift last year and finally had a chance to use it this past week. It didn't work worth a toot. I am going back to the old school heat tape and pipe insulation like I have been using for the past 6 years. Never had a frozen pipe with the heat tape.
Mike and Pat
"Full Timing. But still working. At least for awhile.:W
Mike (Driver) and Pat (Navigator)
2004 Itasca Meridian 39K 330 cat
2009 Saturn Outlook toad
SMI Stay in Play Duo
Socrates,Kiira and Tiberius (Tonkinese Cats)
Maximus (Mini schnauzer)

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime in Kansas on our 2nd winter.Hose,Heat Tape,Foam and pipe wrap.Wrap the heat tape on faucet pipe and pipe wrap. Do Hose the same

We have been down to 6 degrees this winter and have not froze.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also got heat tape pipe insulation from the hardware. Never frozen yet and we leave our water hooked up. Lowest temp we have had was about 20.