cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How about this for "quality" work on our new trailer ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another of the many hidden item found on our new Forest River Trailer:
Yesterday I had the electrical load center apart checking out a circuit, and I happened to see two cables that were cut off at the connection where they come through the case. There was another along with them that came through and was in use.
I decided to check the rear of the panel and see where they were coming from, so I opened up the compartment and much to my surprise they were cut off on the rear also.
At the factory, the cable clamp that was used for the cable in use was three times as big as it should be, and some "brilliant" electrician just filled up the clamp with two more pieces of cable.

Now I know why when we pushed the remote for the main slide, the awning rolled down and when we pushed it for the awning the front stabilizers went down !

By the way, I was checking the panel to see about upgrading to 50 amps.

With that wonderful residential refrigerator and our 15,000 BTU AC unit, and the electric water heater, the 30 amp breaker will pop with the inrush of current if both the refrig and AC happen to turn on at the same time.

I wonder what we'll find next ?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
11 REPLIES 11

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that you contact your trailer's division and speak to the head of the warranty department, I know that from past experience that my fiver's division Cedar Creek have been OUTSTANDING with their customer service!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it comes to electricity, sloppy/lazy can be deadly!!!! If that is wired that way what else is wired improperly?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a suggestion for getting your RV manufacturer and dealer to resolve any issues you have on your RV under warranty. I found a source on-line for a 15"X20" decal of a lemon. I threatened to purchase 2 of them and paste one on the front and the other on the back. With the manufacturer's and dealer's name all over the RV, a decal of a lemon would have really been detrimental for both. Boy, did I really get the warranty service to resolve all of the issues I had.
Ed & Michele :C

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If those are your worst issue you are doing OK.
30 amp service has its limits and the clamp thing is rather minor don't you think! Sloppy,lazy, but minor in the scheme of things
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
To be fair no 30A rig can power everything on board at the same time...so that's really not FR's fault.

As to the wiring thing, yeah I have seen that and worse in so many rigs that im not really surprised. Obviously QC is cursory on certain things! Sad

No it can't.
Our new Forest River trailer has a residential refrigerator in it and it has a 15,000 BTU A/c unit.
If the electric water heater is on and the refrigerator and AC unit kick on at the same time the inrush current will trip the 30 amp breaker.

I couldn't figure it out at first, and thought I had a bad breaker, but after it became a nuisance, I did some math and figured it out.
We are temporarily using the water heater on propane until I install a new 50 Amp supply to a new breaker panel and change some wiring.

It is another goof on Forest River's end !

jack L
Jack & Nanci

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The wire is just being lazy but no harm really.
Air conditioners of late are getting more efficient with lower start surge. So give it a go before you over think this.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
To be fair no 30A rig can power everything on board at the same time...so that's really not FR's fault.

As to the wiring thing, yeah I have seen that and worse in so many rigs that im not really surprised. Obviously QC is cursory on certain things! Sad

X2 on the limits of a 30 amp service.
If you bought it new you should have specified a 50 amp service, but if on a parks 30 amp service you would have the same limits.
To the fact that you had two wires through a single clamp can be allowed if the clamp is rated for it.
Once in I think it was in Tennessee looking a new partly finished houses all the branch circuits were brought into the service panel through a single 2" bushing on the top of the service panel!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, what brand and year of Forest River trailer are you talking about?
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a lightly used 2010 trailer. It had better quality then the new ones we looks at. Some of the new trailers were falling apart on the lot. Some of the new trailers have the led lighting on the nose. Most of the time the lighting strips were put on by someone that was drunk I'm sure. Even when they had a nice holding edge to follow it was not straight.

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
You should have spent 175k more like i did to find 218 more problems. Cant wait for Japan to get into our market so quality improves....