cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I buy Illinois RV and get it to New York?

cmgoeke
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of buying a motor home in Illinois. After the purchase, it will be titled and licensed in New York State. The question is, how do I logistically make this happen?

In an ideal world where gas was cheap and I have lots of spare time, I would:

1) make the 11 hour drive to Illinois
2) hand the current owners a check in exchange for the title
3) drive the 11 hours back to New York State
4) get NY plates for the RV
5) get the RV insured (our local insurance agent can only write policies on vehicles titled in NY
6) drive the 11 hours back to Illinois
7) drive away in the RV

NY does not issue temporary plates. Nor can I find any evidence of Illinois doing the same. I'm hesitant to mail a check to Illinois for the purchase of the RV and hope I get a title back in the mail (this is a private sale, but I 99.9% trust the current owners).

Have others faced the type of situation? How did you handle it? Will big insurance companies insure vehicles that are not yet licensed in the destination state? Thanks for any and all suggestions.
22 REPLIES 22

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
NYS does have a 1 time temporary transport plate good for 1 trip from 1 location to another.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I did mine wrong. I live in AR and bought mine from a private seller in TX. I drove down in my car, looked it over and made the deal. I gave my insurance company the VIN and they gave me an insurance certificate. I drove the Jeep back down, handed him a certified check and he gave me the signed title and a bill of sale. I hooked the Jeep up and drove home. When I got home I went to the DMV and got the tags. Maybe I am wrong, but I though if you had a bill of sale you had x amount of days to get the tag. Maybe I was just lucky and did not get stopped.

That's how it is in AR. I bought a Jeep a few years ago and was stopped on the way home because it did not have a tag on it. I showed the officer the bill of sale and the insurance certificate and he said have a nice day and walked away.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it currently licensed in Illinois? If yes your insurance agent should be able to write a trip policy for the trip to NY, if not then possibility an agent for the same carrier in Illinois should be able to do that.
I think I would fly back and forth unless you are both far from airports.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
IL does issue a temporary tag. We were in the process of purchasing one in that state and long story, but after having an agreed upon price, owners tried to get us into a bidding war with another couple who showed up and wanted it, so we walked away. We had researched and next step would have been to take newly signed title to DMV with our drivers licenses from our home state and purchase the temporary tags to get it home where we could properly title and register and plate it.

square_dancers
Explorer
Explorer
I may be missing something here??? but it seems to me that you take your check book and a friend, drive to Illinois, buy the RV, get a bill of sale have it notarized and then take the title and bill of sale and return with the RV and your friend driving the other vehicle and return to New York and visit your local tag agency and pay all applicable taxes and receive your New York Tag and enjoy. The sellers insurance will remain in force during the transaction up to three days, and your insurance should cover you if you are driving the RV.
Bill-Edna
The Boys-Beau & Jacques

:C2008 F450 DRW 6.4 Diesel SDCC
:C2008 Fuzion 373 39' Toyhauler

Keep the Shiney Side Up
Dull Side Down
Don't Smoke The Tires
Stop and smell all the roses as you travel this Great Country.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
make the trip, never buy a big bucks item without inspecting it first hand.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I would call the state of NY and tell them what you are looking at doing. They will tell you what will work for NY. I would think that it is just a case of driving there and registering it. Before you go call your insurance company and tell them what you are thinking of doing. If you do hand over a cashier check call them with the Vin number before you drive it and get assurance that you are insured. Then take it to be serviced before you drive it home as you do not want to damage what you have purchased. In fact you should have a garage that knows about rvs look it over brfore you buy it. Also make sure that the tires are in good shape and that the DOT date is 8 years or newer. You don't want to chance a blow out. If the tires are 8 years old you will probably want for them to lower the price by the cost of new tires; usually about $3500. Hope it all works out for you.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No temporary tags in IL? Kinda hard to believe. It will be rather difficult sans that.

Don't mail a check, wire the money. Or, many banks have 'pay a person' features.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman