cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to find "stud" for tv

cchristanis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to find an area on wall for screws. It's a 13 torque 301. There is a sticker that says tv backer location but I don't want to keep drilling holes. I'm trying to mount a tv mounting bracket. It's very small cause tv will be also. I already drilled one hole there and it wasn't solid. Anyone know the spacing on the frame studs?
9 REPLIES 9

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon the make of MH.....on my Newmar the studs on the outside walls are aluminum on 16" centers. The interior wall where the TV is mounted has 3/4 " plywood backing behind the paneling.

A density meter is the best option of locating studs...must follow the directions closely.

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Will a stud finder work on an aluminum framed trailer?

Yes.
Twenty bucks at Lowe's.
Bruce

x2 maybe. I've been using one of these for years for house repairs & remodeling. Knocks the sox off the old magnet kind. It reads density changes behind the sheetrock or whatever wall facing you have.
But I've never tried it on an RV, so don't know how well it will work if your walls are like mine where the walls are foam-filled in between the wood studs.

cchristanis
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what I was thinking when i didnt notice the change in sound in the area by knocking. Thanks

myredracer wrote:
They often install a sheet metal backer plate behind the wall finish. Use a magnet to try and find the outline of it. If aluminum studs, there may not be one where you need it, or even none at all. Our trailer has a backer plate in the bedroom and when I drilled a pilot hole, the plate wasn't where the sticker said it should be - grrrr. (At least you can't see the tiny hole in the wall unless you look real close.)

Apparently they throw the plates in wherever they feel like, and then a different guy comes along afterwards and places the sticker on the wall in the vicinity of where the plate should be. It's a good plan not to rely on the sticker for the backer location.

cchristanis
Explorer
Explorer
Im not up early enough to see dew :). I tried the knocking. It seems hard on a huge section of the wall. I dont notice much of a difference in sound. The sticker is on the front of the garage in a corner near the sliding door that goes into the living area. Its an outside wall of the garage. I used a stud finder and i think it is picking up wiring or something cause its all over the place. Ill try again. Thanks

Halmfamily wrote:
If it's an outside wall look at your exterior wall first thing in the morning. The condensation will show where your studs are. Looking at mine they appear to be 24" OC. Measure over from a window or door opening as there will be stud on each side.

Interior walls just knock along the wall until you hear one.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
They often install a sheet metal backer plate behind the wall finish. Use a magnet to try and find the outline of it. If aluminum studs, there may not be one where you need it, or even none at all. Our trailer has a backer plate in the bedroom and when I drilled a pilot hole, the plate wasn't where the sticker said it should be - grrrr. (At least you can't see the tiny hole in the wall unless you look real close.)

Apparently they throw the plates in wherever they feel like, and then a different guy comes along afterwards and places the sticker on the wall in the vicinity of where the plate should be. It's a good plan not to rely on the sticker for the backer location.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:

Yes.

Twenty bucks at Lowe's.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Use a stud finder...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an outside wall look at your exterior wall first thing in the morning. The condensation will show where your studs are. Looking at mine they appear to be 24" OC. Measure over from a window or door opening as there will be stud on each side.

Interior walls just knock along the wall until you hear one.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian