cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to replace sofa in 5th wheel?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Do most RV sleeper sofa's come apart somehow to get old one out and new on in? The sofa in my 2014 Winnebago 5'er apparently was ultra cheap bonded leather and vinyl. Peeling badly. Wanting to replace it or have it reupholstered.

Any recommendations of shops in Phoenix, AZ to do either?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
16 REPLIES 16

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
replace it

old one is cheap/falling apart
so tear it apart---usually the back comes off and you can remove the inner bed frame

Measure space. measure doorway. measure new one and make sure it can be easily disassembled in order to get back in thru door

Yes, yes, and yes.

The backs *do* come off - IIRC when I replaced mine (never to return),
there were a couple of bolts per side - or maybe just a "slip fit".
At first - it doesnsn't look like the back comes off - but it does.

Removing the inner bed frame is no big deal - and removes lots of weight.

Helps to have another pair of hands to get the base through the door.
But took all of 5 minutes - or less.

Made better use of the space for the two (different/better) recliners, and re-positioning the "freestanding" (bolted to the floor) table and "bottom storage" chairs.

Found a nice round "drop leaf" table - and two chairs. Perfect for two - opens up to four if needed.
Have never anchored it to the floor - has never moved......and could be re-located if desired.

BTW - Sofa gone = If you have grand kids (or?) air beds are fine!

On edit: Was *not* attached to the floor....heck it weighs a ton!
If it is - it's way, way overkill.

*You* are the interior designer - enjoy!...:C

~

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
When I replaced mine, the back rest came apart from the rest of the sofa. I had two separate pieces and it was a piece of cake to get out the door. I measured the length, width and height and ordered a new one from Amazon. It went in to the TT the same way the old one came out. After getting it inside I put the back rest on with the bolts that were included. Not a big issue at all. I also checked to get the original reupholstered and found that a new one was cheaper and I went with fabric instead of that faux leather.

Can you share what you purchased and from where? Most RV's have the sofa's bolted to the floor as is ours. Did you have to drill any new holes to bolt the new one or is there some standardization in bolt locations?

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out Lambright Comfort Chairs in Topeka, IN. Our sleeper and chairs are on order.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I got my old one out in one piece, would not come apart and wanted to keep it and got the new sleeper in(it was one piece only). Was heavy and not fun and only two of us.
Writing the check for it was the worse part.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
When I replaced mine, the back rest came apart from the rest of the sofa. I had two separate pieces and it was a piece of cake to get out the door. I measured the length, width and height and ordered a new one from Amazon. It went in to the TT the same way the old one came out. After getting it inside I put the back rest on with the bolts that were included. Not a big issue at all. I also checked to get the original reupholstered and found that a new one was cheaper and I went with fabric instead of that faux leather.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

dedmiston
mileshuff wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I don't know if you're still trying to get yours out or not (and getting the new one in), but to get the most side-to-side space out of your doorway you'll need to disconnect the rod that stops the door from opening all the way. With that disconnected, you can open the door fully and get it out of the way.

Not sure what type of RV you have and what rod you are referring to. On every trailer and 5th wheel I've owned the door swings fully open against the side of the trailer where there is a catch to hold it open.

Our fiver has a gas strut on each of the doors to stop the doors from fully opening. Our doors open until they're perpendicular to the wall, and then they stop at the end of the strut.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I don't know if you're still trying to get yours out or not (and getting the new one in), but to get the most side-to-side space out of your doorway you'll need to disconnect the rod that stops the door from opening all the way. With that disconnected, you can open the door fully and get it out of the way.

Not sure what type of RV you have and what rod you are referring to. On every trailer and 5th wheel I've owned the door swings fully open against the side of the trailer where there is a catch to hold it open.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Just slightly off topic but do you really need a sleeper sofa?

Yes. Used most trips.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I see the ad on TV for a modular sofa etc. (Lovesack)??????????????? I wonder if that would be at all practical in a RV.
bumpy

dedmiston

Beyond that, it's just like moving furniture in your house: You have to turn things on their edges and rotate as you move through. There are some good videos on Youtube if you search for move a couch through a doorway.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
While visiting friends in Yuma, Az. and needing our RV Loveseat sofa re-upholstered we went to Yuma MarketPlace and got a quote from ACTIVE RV upholstery. Our sofa is a 60" wide Flexsteel sofa sleeper w/ kick-outs. Total cost for reupholstry was $950 in 2019. Price included remove and reinstall. It came out of the RV in pieces, yet upon reinstall it has worked better than new. They know how to make all the correct adjustments. Phone # (928)235-2780.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but do you really need a sleeper sofa?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Put some actual thought into it. I donโ€™t know how to get your sofa out of your door.

What I can say though, is find one that you can get IN the door. You can always get the old one out. Thatโ€™s what sawzalls are made for, worst case, although I bet they didnโ€™t build the camper around the sofa although ICBW.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
replace it

old one is cheap/falling apart
so tear it apart---usually the back comes off and you can remove the inner bed frame

Measure space. measure doorway. measure new one and make sure it can be easily disassembled in order to get back in thru door
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31