cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Illegal GPS mounting

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Was stopped by a Arizona Highway Patrol officer for having my GPS mounted on the middle of the windshield. Was told that it was only allowed on the windshield in the bottom right or left lower corner. Luckily only got a warning,
What is funny is it illegal to mount your GPS in the center of your windshield in Arizona but it is not illegal to text while driving.

GPS mounting by state
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen
114 REPLIES 114

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
northmeck0255 wrote:
I'm using Nigeria to show just how much we've become a police state. It's truly sad that so many citizens take these violations of their rights without a whimper of protest.

I'm done.

Let's go back to talking about gray water. LOL
Yep, Nigeria and the USA, that's an apples to apples comparison. And Malaysia is often held up as the ideal mix of government and freedom, provided, of course, you follow their brand Sharia Law to the letter.

My point exactly. Even in those countries, which you acknowledge are "more dangerous" than the U.S., there aren't armed cops stopping people everywhere. If you don't ever leave the U.S. You'll probably not notice that you live in a de facto police state. Does anybody truly believe that pulling people over for a burned out license plate tag, going 5 mph over the limit, or driving with an expired plate is keeping anyone "safer"??? LOL. These are all just excuses for the State to generate revenue, nothing more.

In Nigeria the Police carry AK47 machine guns...
Try a new argument..Maybe one supported by facts..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
northmeck0255 wrote:
I'm using Nigeria to show just how much we've become a police state. It's truly sad that so many citizens take these violations of their rights without a whimper of protest.

I'm done.

Yep, Nigeria and the USA, that's an apples to apples comparison. And Malaysia is often held up as the ideal mix of government and freedom, provided, of course, you follow their brand Sharia Law to the letter.

My point exactly. Even in those countries, which you acknowledge are "more dangerous" than the U.S., there aren't armed cops stopping people everywhere. If you don't ever leave the U.S. You'll probably not notice that you live in a de facto police state. Does anybody truly believe that pulling people over for a burned out license plate tag, going 5 mph over the limit, or driving with an expired plate is keeping anyone "safer"??? LOL. These are all just excuses for the State to generate revenue, nothing more.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
.. The police are NOT your friends, and they are NOT there to protect you. ....
I feel sorry for you.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bfast54 wrote:
One has to admit....that when all the Verbal Jousting is done, concerning this toplc........

Many laws on the books were written by idiots ----to protect other idiots ----from killing STILL MORE idiots......:S

Truer words have not been spoken often on rv.net. All I can say is THANK GOD FOR IDIOTS... they have kept me gainfully employed for the past 13 years.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
One has to admit....that when all the Verbal Jousting is done, concerning this toplc........

Many laws on the books were written by idiots ----to protect other idiots ----from killing STILL MORE idiots......:S
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
Well, some day soon, when YOU are on the road being harassed over a minor traffic infraction (e.g. rolling thru a stop sign), and the friendly officer creates probable cause to search you and your vehicle out of thin air "that Coke can you threw away at the tollbooth could have been contraband", then you will find out what I mean. The police are NOT your friends, and they are NOT there to protect you. The sooner you realize this the better.

They have turned large swaths of the public against them by employing sleazy and heavy handed tactics. I am in no way excusing the rioting in Ferguson, but part of what led up to the situation was a pattern of stopping people for minor BS. That leads to a fine. Inability to pay leads to more fines, then warrants, then jail.....over a burned out tail light (or a GPS in the wrong location).

You're hatred for the police is clouding your good judgement... You really don't have a clue how things work or how probable cause is developed and later proven...

People of Ferguson should not fear the police but each other.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
You have a crash with one of those on your windshield You will probably be at fault. You hit and injure or kill someone with one of those blocking your vision, You will be sued to the stone age. Might even go to jail.
Not a joke and not a reason to look into your rig. Just keeping a clear view through the windshield.

I would love to hear from LEO's, Attorneys, Insurance Investigators and anyone who have lost their A$$ because of having something on their windshield or hanging from their mirror. While we're at it how about the same for modifying anything you will get prosecuted for if you have an accident.

The old "if you're in an accident you'll lose everything and be liable for everything BS" should be cause to poof a aost.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Well, some day soon, when YOU are on the road being harassed over a minor traffic infraction (e.g. rolling thru a stop sign), and the friendly officer creates probable cause to search you and your vehicle out of thin air "that Coke can you threw away at the tollbooth could have been contraband", then you will find out what I mean. The police are NOT your friends, and they are NOT there to protect you. The sooner you realize this the better.

They have turned large swaths of the public against them by employing sleazy and heavy handed tactics. I am in no way excusing the rioting in Ferguson, but part of what led up to the situation was a pattern of stopping people for minor BS. That leads to a fine. Inability to pay leads to more fines, then warrants, then jail.....over a burned out tail light (or a GPS in the wrong location).
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
"badge lickers". Good grief
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
The badge lickers will be along soon to sing your praises. It's really easy to cheer on "law and order", so long as your operating assumption is that none of those things will be done to you or your family. That's the entire premise behind the show "Cops". We get to see "perps" chased down, bitten by police dogs, taxed, etc. but we can rest assured, the implied message goes, that those people deserved it. What is changing is that, more and more, normal middle class people are finding police and police equipment used on THEM! Do I think we live in a police state? You're darned right I do.

Watch out for the all the black helicopters overhead...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Wrong. There is nowhere else that I go, including places like Nigeria, Malaysia and Indonesia, where you see armed cops shaking down......ahem...."proactively policing" non-violent victimless offenses. I find your admission that you routinely used minor things, like a burned out license plate tag, as a justification for a fishing expedition deeply concerning as an American citizen. When you add in the abusive use of asset forfeiture, the picture gets even uglier.

The cops should be doing their real jobs, fighting real crime, instead of hassling citizens over petty BS.

You know the law enforcement officers out on the street don't write the laws, right?

Sounds like you need to jump up on your soapbox on every street corner you can and start lobbying to repeal the traffic "safety" laws they are out there enforcing. You can start with speed limits then move on to lights, registration, and every other inappropriate thing you think they're harassing us for.

Get real. They don't write the laws. Heck, they don't always even agree with the laws they have to enforce. God bless 'em.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
... Which is really more dangerous; a GPS on your dash or an armed robber on the loose?
In my town if there was an armed robber on the loose that would be a priority. Since there is a shortage of armed robbers our local police often have to focus on the little things like speeders, DUI, blocked driver vision, etc. Those "little things" often result in finding bigger things.

northmeck0255 wrote:
The badge lickers will be along soon to sing your praises. ....
Oh, maybe that is me. :C
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
The badge lickers will be along soon to sing your praises. It's really easy to cheer on "law and order", so long as your operating assumption is that none of those things will be done to you or your family. That's the entire premise behind the show "Cops". We get to see "perps" chased down, bitten by police dogs, taxed, etc. but we can rest assured, the implied message goes, that those people deserved it. What is changing is that, more and more, normal middle class people are finding police and police equipment used on THEM! Do I think we live in a police state? You're darned right I do.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
Which is really more dangerous; a GPS on your dash or an armed robber on the loose?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but more people are killed in traffic collisions each year than are feloniously killed.

The odds of you being hurt by some oblivious driver who is distracted by a GPS, cell phone, text message, makeup, food etc is substantially higher than your odds of being attacked by an armed robber.

By the way, I made a traffic stop at 3am one morning for a taillight out as a guy was pulling into a 7-11 parking lot. He had a loaded revolver on the passenger seat. He was about to go and rob the 7-11 before I pulled him over for a "petty" offense.

I bet you that clerk was happy that I have nothing better to do that "over police" for "petty offenses". I would suggest you get a better education about the reality of law enforcement before you start throwing around accusations of a "police state". See if your local department has a citizen's academy. It might open your eyes to the reality of the world.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:

I'm done.

Gray Water! Isn't that profiliing! LOL!