cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

improving sway control

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we're towing 5500 lbs of tt with a ram 1500. performance is great in general but our sway controller is one of the typical made in china friction slide gadgets, not the greatest im sure. there way too much slack in just the ball mounts for example.
there must be better systems available without going to megabuck total hitching systems
tt and truck are very carefully set up, hitch is a basic husky square spring bar with chains and that's almost new and has 1100 lb bars
sway is not a big issue, but we broke one of those cheapie gadgets last year so I don't have much confidence in the new one
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
20 REPLIES 20

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Reese dual cam with active sway control. Works a lot better than friction sway control and actually applies more pressure as the trailer gets more out of line. Works a lot better than the frinction based hitches I used before.
Also very quiet.

BTW, I never had any problems backing with a hitch like yours. If it is installed exactly per the instructions then nothing will happen backing.
As with any hitch or trailer, don't jackknife it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
First, don't go backwards if you are using any friction stand alone sway bar. They potential to bend and break when backing and especially when turning and backing. (you didn't say how you broke yours). And yes, if you have to go backwards, you have to get out of the tow vehicle, walk to the hitch, and un-connect the sway bar. Then when you are ready to drive forward again, you put it back on.

Second, tighten it down as much as you can. Put all your weight into the final "umph". Then back it off about 1/4 turn. They are suppose to be tight. The greater the friction, the more effective they are.

There is always a little slop where the bar attaches to both little balls.

If you are already doing this, then, as stated above, something else is causing the sway.

The most common problem for sway is loading the rear of the trailer too heavy, making the tongue light. Even with the best of hitches and sway control, a tail-heavy trailer will sway ... horribly.

If you are loaded correct with good tongue weight, the suspension on your tow vehicle may not be stout enough.

Another problem may be the tow vehicle is just too short for the length of trailer you are towing (wheel base).

Worn rear shocks on the tow vehicle is also a potential for agitating trailer sway.

If your weight distribution is not set right, you may experience unwanted sway. Front wheels too light can cause steering issues that will induce trailer sway. Rear of tow vehicle too light also and weird things can happen.

First, you can't fix an inferior tow vehicle. If the tow vehicle is just not adequate for the trailer being pulled, no matter how you try to patch it, it won't fix the problem.

Second, an inferior friction sway bar will work pretty much the same as an expensive top name brand one will. The only difference is, the inferior one may someday fail, fall apart, or breaks where the better made one would not.

Third, consider a weight distribution system that already has sway control built in. For example Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer type systems. Then backing is not an issue at all.

To spend thousands of dollars on a tow vehicle, and then to spend thousands of dollars on a trailer, and then load your most precious cargo (your family) all riding on a mediocre hitch system is just nuts!

Remember the tire commercial on television with the baby sitting inside the automobile tire. And then the statement is made, Michelin - Because so much is riding on your tires. .... same is true for your hitch.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try one of these.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure there is 12 to 15% of the camper weight on the tongue.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Friction bars work fine, the ball slop is hardly anything.

More importantly, if you experience sway in normal conditions you have other problems. Tire ratings, are pressure and trailer loading are usually the problem.

My first trailer was a 30 foot somthing or other with the tanks way in the back.. It always swayed when thlthe tanks were full... One husky friction controller was all I needed.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Get a Hensley Arrow or a ProPride. Problem solved.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos