cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
Check on some of the "single RVers" forums and maybe you could get a partner.
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

cheezkween
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, construction sites and industrial parks often use night-only on-site security people. If you Google "construction site security services" you get a number of companies...

Might be something for you there.

cheezkween
Explorer
Explorer
A couple gals on a gate just north of us were aquaintances but not really friends prior to gg-ing; they stayed in one lady's 5th wheel and (I guess) split the wages. They worked for TimeKeepers.

I agree with the difficulty of a single pulling a 24 hour gate over the long term. Our gate has been only moderately busy, but due to hubby's injury I have been working both shifts and snoozing between trucks at nights. Very poor quality rest and not something this middle-age gal is interested in doing for any longer than absolutely necessary.

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
So I made some phone calls today, a few no answers and one person I did speak with said they won't / can't hire a single person.
******for me...
I need a cool job and fast.
Any ideas on what I can do to get into the gate services? being single?

two gates near me are both manned by a single person. They are both 24 hour gates and frankly I can't see how they manage. DW and I work our gate and have been steadily busy since arriving 10 weeks ago. With a gate like ours (fairly busy) you could only get maybe 3-4 hours sleep in a row on a good day, plus you would need someone to bring you supplies or relieve you every 2 weeks or so for a few hours to run to the store, do laundry etc. Would be difficult to do in my opinion but these two seem to manage it somehow. We all work for Gate Guard Services.
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Bbasso
Explorer
Explorer
Bbasso wrote:
Ok I just read this entire thread and now I want a job as a GG. ๐Ÿ™‚

How do I go about getting in on your clan?

But with the stories of illegals, wild animals and strange areas I'm bring my Legal firearms and CWP. Will that hinder my chances of being hired if there are any GG spots available?
I wouldn't mind a PM lol thanks!!!

So I made some phone calls today, a few no answers and one person I did speak with said they won't / can't hire a single person.
Crap for me...
I need a cool job and fast.
Any ideas on what I can do to get into the gate services? being single?

tewall1
Explorer
Explorer
To you guys around Karnes City looking for medical. I grew up in Pettus in the 60's, so my info might be a little out of date, but, I'm thinking about the best you will do in that area without going to San Antone would be Beeville County Hospital about 30 miles south of you. It was a pretty good hospital when my mom worked there back then. Good luck.

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
Our Frac crew was Weatherford, very nice polite and considerate people. They said it would take 3 days but had a problem and just finished today. We just had 20 trucks leave st 8 tonite and the rest will leave tomorrow. The frac crew has a caterer for lunch and dinner every day. We got a lot of good food, more than we could eat. I actually took some over to the gentleman at the next gate. 2 days were very busy, SandPro running all night long. But after 3 months of slow I guess we can not complain about 2 days of very busy. Now back to the 7 to 5 with very few cars or trucks coming through

Your gate sounds like a good one. We have been here 10 weeks and I have only had 2 nights slow enough to actually sleep in the big bed and not just short naps on the couch. Seems like workers in and out during the day and semi trucks and deliveries during the nights. Once the fracking is done we are hoping for a little slow down.
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
Frac TEC will be our frackers.TNX Don for answer.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
wingerphil wrote:
Don/Shar wrote:
We are with Roger. The frac team just finished so they will be moving out. Mixed feelings about that, we had sand trucks up midnight the quiet till about 3 am. Happy that is coming to an end but, the Frac team got catered lunch and dinner every day and they included us. We have had Quail, steak (3) and today for lunch baked chicked. Extra large helpings really blows the diet.

Frac crew due to start arriving here either tomorrow or Tuesday is latest rumor. Last of the rig left today and only one back at the pad is the co. man. What company did the frac at your site? We had Trican here for the front pad back in December. Gonna be abusy week :S

Our Frac crew was Weatherford, very nice polite and considerate people. They said it would take 3 days but had a problem and just finished today. We just had 20 trucks leave st 8 tonite and the rest will leave tomorrow. The frac crew has a caterer for lunch and dinner every day. We got a lot of good food, more than we could eat. I actually took some over to the gentleman at the next gate. 2 days were very busy, SandPro running all night long. But after 3 months of slow I guess we can not complain about 2 days of very busy. Now back to the 7 to 5 with very few cars or trucks coming through.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
GGup wrote:
We start the frack on the 10th and they moved in 9 pump truck equip this PM. Said, get a good nights sleep...will be back tomorrow with more equipment then get started. How many days did it last for you, Don? I have heard they do about 7 days now. Will see. They have two more drilled wells to frack but will leave and then come back a little later as frack pond needs to refill.

We have had a good 2 months of excellent days and quiet nights so how can we say anything about the next 7 to 14 days, huh?

I think there are jobs with GGS or will be soon as sites are ready to park on.

Our frac crew came in on Wednesday said 3 days and they will be done. They had a problem and had to have the coil roll come back in and clean the sand that blew out. They finished today and are moving out. The worst part was the SandPro trucks running all night. We never had any night stuff since starting the first of October. Then 2 days of the sand trucks running all night. Can't complain....the frac team has a caterer lunch and dinner so for 4 days we have had some of the best plates delivered to us. Stuffed Quail wrapped in bacon, 2 different mexican platters for lunch, (3) steak dinners and today we had baked chicked,rice, and Mashed potatos. Going to miss the meals but will be nice to go back to 7 to 5 again.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
We are with Roger. The frac team just finished so they will be moving out. Mixed feelings about that, we had sand trucks up midnight the quiet till about 3 am. Happy that is coming to an end but, the Frac team got catered lunch and dinner every day and they included us. We have had Quail, steak (3) and today for lunch baked chicked. Extra large helpings really blows the diet.

Frac crew due to start arriving here either tomorrow or Tuesday is latest rumor. Last of the rig left today and only one back at the pad is the co. man. What company did the frac at your site? We had Trican here for the front pad back in December. Gonna be abusy week :S
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
We start the frack on the 10th and they moved in 9 pump truck equip this PM. Said, get a good nights sleep...will be back tomorrow with more equipment then get started. How many days did it last for you, Don? I have heard they do about 7 days now. Will see. They have two more drilled wells to frack but will leave and then come back a little later as frack pond needs to refill.

We have had a good 2 months of excellent days and quiet nights so how can we say anything about the next 7 to 14 days, huh?

I think there are jobs with GGS or will be soon as sites are ready to park on.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
navyAZ1 wrote:
Don/Shar wrote:
We now have the Fracing crew in. About 40 trucks. Not to bad, tonight we got a catered dinner.....very good. Even got whole Jalapeno peppers. We have been kinda busy the last two days.
After having two illeagles on our ranch I asked for better lights outside, today I got 2 tower lights. The whole area is lit up like 12 noon. Thanks GGS.

Who are you working for Jamie, or Roger? We are getting ready to come out and work again, usually work for Roger, but worked for Jamie down in the RGV last spring, thought we might try working for Jamie again and not be west of I-35. But, we'll take what we can get, we have always accepted what ever they offer us. Normally put in a call to both Jamie and Roger and who ever gets us a gate first is where we go.

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

navyAZ1
Explorer
Explorer
Don/Shar wrote:
We now have the Fracing crew in. About 40 trucks. Not to bad, tonight we got a catered dinner.....very good. Even got whole Jalapeno peppers. We have been kinda busy the last two days.
After having two illeagles on our ranch I asked for better lights outside, today I got 2 tower lights. The whole area is lit up like 12 noon. Thanks GGS.

Who are you working for Jamie, or Roger? We are getting ready to come out and work again, usually work for Roger, but worked for Jamie down in the RGV last spring, thought we might try working for Jamie again and not be west of I-35. But, we'll take what we can get, we have always accepted what ever they offer us. Normally put in a call to both Jamie and Roger and who ever gets us a gate first is where we go.
2015 Chevy 3500HD Duramax
2014 Big Country 3650RL by Heartland
Retired USN
Wonderful Wife of many years Ann
Camping friend Chihuaha/Mini Pincher Mix (Named Lula & Emily)

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
You stay with your rig and the person setting there now will be reassigned.....been there done that and there are no hard feelings, as you are staying with your rig, at the CO man request.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today