cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing an Equalizer Hitch

crittersitter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all. We are looking for a weight distribution hitch and have found a used equalizer that should work for us. It's rated for 12,000. We will be hauling a 5000lb unloaded weight tt with a expedition with a heavy duty towing package with lots of cargo as we are moving cross country.

My question is can we install the equalizer ourselves or does it need to be professionally installed. I see their site suggests having it professionally installed due to some special tools, etc. Also, is there anything to look for in a used unit that would make it unsafe or unusable? The price is only $275 vs new. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
It's no problem for someone handy. You will have to be able to torque some of the bolts to 125lbs or somewhere around there.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
crazy, after i had taken it in to a local dealer, they told me the WDH was bad. i asked them to check the weights. they did not.. i took to scales and found the weight on hitch was only about 11%. i put on two mor batteries for weight test, and it runs real smooth. just saved some bucks. trailer weight about 6500, and hitch weight is about 850. is this ok. thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
i now have round bar EQ, but is still get a sway. took it in to a local hitch house, and they said the bars had ovalled ??? out the holes and it is to much play. does that sound possible? i do not mind paying a little more. i can pick EQ from Amazon for aboout 529 right now. having 4 friction points might make a difference. any opinion?
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
thanks quick reply
book says UVW is 4800
CABINET door says 5400
GVWR 7540
CCC 1612
when loaded 6400

I don't think need to go to the real expensive type unless they do that great of job
Bruce from sunny 74 Ca

That's almost identical to my old trailer. I used an EZ Lift wd hitch with the round bars and single friction control and it worked OK. You can pick that type up for under 300 bucks. When I went to the bigger trailer I went with an Equilizer setup.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks quick reply
book says UVW is 4800
CABINET door says 5400
GVWR 7540
CCC 1612
when loaded 6400

I don't think need to go to the real expensive type unless they do that great of job
Bruce from sunny 74 Ca
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Your rear axle can only support 2K per tire. Look at a tire loading chart. 60 lbs is more than enough. I would not buy 1200 lb bars. I would probably go with 800 lb for a 5K dry weight trailer. What is the dry hitch weight?
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
oh heck. i was just getting ready to buy the equalizer 1200 on amazon. and then read about being to heavy.
23.5 Komfort
loaded weight 6600 max
tounge 800--825
2009 gmc 1/2 extended
michlin E rated tires. set at 75lbs whem towing

we had a small 5th wheel before, and we love this trailer. was told old hitch was worn out and like the Equalizer. will the 1200 be to stiff?, and is running 75lbs OK.
i also have air bags
thanks for the help. will wait for response before buying.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my Equalizer myself and it's not too difficult if you're handy and have the tools. As mentioned above, have a shop install the ball for you. This requires a BIG socket that most people and even some shops don't have lying around. You also need a 1/2" drive torque wrench. I ended up buying a couple of the larger size sockets that I did not have on hand (like 1-15/16" if I recall) but these are readily available at Sears (Craftsmen), etc and not too expensive. Good to have these anyway so you can check nuts and bolts periodically.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
First, the tongue weight is what determines how heavy a hitch you need. My trailer is 5400 lb as shipped and 6800 loaded. The tongue is heavy - 1000 lb. The Equalizer 1200/12000 is a very good match for this setup.

I purchased the hitch new and installed it myself at the dealers yard before leaving with the new trailer. Before install I had a truck shop properly torque the ball since it needs a very large socket and very high torque. For the rest I bought a torque wrench and the needed socket. This allows me to check the torque periodically to ensure everything is in spec. A couple of times some nuts had backed off a bit.

The instal was straightforward. I had the hitch head assempled before going to the trailer.

They all have Locktight on them now and I also used nail polish to mark the nut positions so I can easily check visually that nothing has moved.

I hope this helps.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A 12k is going to be way too stiff for your 5K TT. You won't be able to get the spring bars adjusted so that they both transfer weight forward in the TV AND don't make the back of the TV too springy. That is, the back of the TV will tend to bounce up and down over bumps and highway undulations.
I had the same issue when I tried to use a 7500lb systen with a 4400# TT.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine myself. As stated above there are some good videos that help. I also called the techs at Equalizer and found them very helpful. As far as specialty tools go you will need some really heavy duty torque wrenches. I drove to a auto repair center after I had all the adjustments made and had them set the torque. They had the BIG torque wrench and sockets that most of us don't have. Good luck.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
crittersitter wrote:
Hi, all. We are looking for a weight distribution hitch and have found a used equalizer that should work for us. It's rated for 12,000. We will be hauling a 5000lb unloaded weight tt with a expedition with a heavy duty towing package with lots of cargo as we are moving cross country.

My question is can we install the equalizer ourselves or does it need to be professionally installed. I see their site suggests having it professionally installed due to some special tools, etc. Also, is there anything to look for in a used unit that would make it unsafe or unusable? The price is only $275 vs new. Thanks!

A 1.2/12K WDH might be a TAD too heavy for the TT you will be towing. Maybe not, but as a WAG if the WDH rating is much more than about 300lb more than the actual tongue wt. with an Expedition the ride might be rougher than normal. Too heavy spring bars with light tongue and light duty TV are IMO not the best match for a smooth towing experience.

Of course all this is a total WAG since you gave little facts in your OP.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Critter.

I purchased mine online, and had my dealer install as part of the purchase (purchased TT out of area). Prior to the guys/ gals here replying to your question, you may want to search You Tube with your question and I'm sure you'll find a video of it. It will give you an idea of if you have what you need.

Good luck and Happy Camping!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that recommending professional installation helps to absolve the manufacturer of any injuries created by the user trying to install it.
If you are reasonably handy with tools (including a torque wrench) and can use a measuring tape and have access to the RV then go for it. It might also help to have a cheater pipe to get the proper torque on the various components.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)