cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is .22mag snake shot enough for moccasins?

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
We don't live (or travel) in moccasin country so I have no experience shooting them. HOWEVER...we have to go to Mississippi to clean out a vacant tenant dwelling owned my my mother-in-law so we can list it for sale. The property is 15 acres with house, barns, sheds, pool and pool equipment bldg. plus a couple of greenhouses. It has been neglected for a couple of years and we have now evicted the tenant.

We have been told by others living in the area that there is trash, debris, etc. all over the property so we know we will encounter snakes and other varmints.

I have been searching for .38/.357 snake shot but cannot find any! I can find 9mm but I don't trust the plastic shells to load properly. I can find lots of .22 mag at Bass Pro so may have to settle for it as it will be in a revolver.

Is .22 mag enough for Mississippi moccasin, copperheads, and rattlers?

Thanks!
61 REPLIES 61

mwool
Explorer
Explorer
I wear snake boots and a long handle spade to clean and it is very good on snakes. I do sharpen the spade. for more distance - 410
Marshall & Nancy
2013 DRV Elite Suite
2011 3500 GMC

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I never shoot my moccasins - hurts my feet. :B
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

LilJack
Explorer
Explorer
I have some shot shells for my 9 but don't trust them at all. My 410 pistol is very effective for snakes at close distance. Prefer the 410 for snakes than the 12 gauge.
Yeah, with the description you listed (assuming you will be here in MS this summer) you will probably find snakes.

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
Head shot with CCI 22 long rifle shotshell takes care of Virginia copperheads; 22mag should do the job. Very little collateral damage but be careful if you are in a closed space, the #12 shot has a tendency to bounce around.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A .22 and shotgun is a good choice. A shovel is quiet.

If it was up to my wife, a 10 megaton air burst would be her first choice.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
A 22 short through the head will do the job with less mess and cost than a shotgun. Move to a shotgun if a bad shot.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have an Academy Sports nearby they carry the 38/357 shotshell. I would think any well stocked gun store would also.

I have not tried them in my 357 so can't comment on effectiveness. I do have a S&W Govenor that shoots 45/410. The 2 1/2" 410 gives a really good shot pattern at short range and should be very effective for snakes. I would think the 38/357 would be effective also.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
.38 snake shot works well on snakes. Takes 2 shots to kill a skunk. Surprised they don't stock them in your area.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Raccoons laugh at .22 mag shot. I think one gave me the bird once when I sprayed him with .22 talc. Try Cabelas for .38 ammo

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Taurus Judge revolver in .410.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of pistols available that will handle 45 long colt and 410 shot gun shells. That would be my choice.

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
I used 22 Mag pistol in WV with the father-in-law clearing old family grave yard. Worked good on copperheads that weren't moving real fast but a shovel was best at close range!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gonzo42 wrote:

By the way, rattlesnake is good eating. Most people wouldn't touch it, but I'm not most people.

Tastes like chicken...the "other" white meat....they make great hat bands too...:B:B.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
ClickyHere is what the Wife and I use in .38 and .357 revolvers. Very effective IMO. You will be working so you need to travel light so these rounds in a S&W Airweight Is what I carry. I carry 24/7 so I only have the first round up as shot. The rest are HP's.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Almost any firearm will kill a snake. My first choice would be a shotgun, but its up to you. Any firearm but a shotgun needs careful aiming.

Be especially careful about what is around and behind your target.

Be aware of all the appropriate gun laws in that state and local jurisdiction. No need for an arrest.

By the way, rattlesnake is good eating. Most people wouldn't touch it, but I'm not most people.

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.