cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 70 the age to stop towing

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.
373 REPLIES 373

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
Dtank wrote:
Thread starter "Supercharged" is happily chuckling somewhere, saying -
"I've done it again!"

IMO - he's only about 55...:B

14 hrs. on a airplane, wish I could chuck, more like being a packed fish.

Glutton for punishment, LOL!

Hope you enjoyed wherever it was, you were!

BTW - here's the 14 hour (plus) airplane story for you:

Guy I know and his DW went on vacation to Australia.
When it was time to return to the US - he showed up at the airport
two hours early (as recommended - or as necessary) for a mid-morning flight.

After about an hour, the airline told him *his* flight had been cancelled, and his new departure time was in the afternoon.

Soooooo - buy the time his flight departed he had spent something like 5-6 hours at the airport.....in the "wait" mode.
Think he may have been ready to "chuck" also.:W

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am planning to sell my trailer and buy a motor home when I get to be 70.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
If 70is too old, I should have sold the fifth wheel 8 years ago ! We did quit full timing a year ago, but not ready to sell the trailer yet.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
Supercharged wrote:

I'm 73 year old now, driving a 29 ft. Ford 450 MH. but thinking of pulling a car next year. Carry a 400 Honda along now on the rear.

Those of you who have not kept up with the OP (Supercharged) he makes these posts to generate conversations. It appears he's over 70 and still driving - just like thousands of other qualified seniors. ๐Ÿ™‚
Less considerate people just might label him a troll. He rarely shows up after an opening post stirring the pot.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:

I'm 73 year old now, driving a 29 ft. Ford 450 MH. but thinking of pulling a car next year. Carry a 400 Honda along now on the rear.

Those of you who have not kept up with the OP (Supercharged) he makes these posts to generate conversations. It appears he's over 70 and still driving - just like thousands of other qualified seniors. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
What a ridiculous thread subject. Age is no longer a barrier. It's physical and mental health along with a positive attitude that counts.

Yep, in my mid 70s and with my 70 YO DW, still towing. Last year, 8300 miles with our 38 foot 5er, this year, we dogged it and 'only' did 7700 miles and a few less road days. Next year - planning a fewer miles trip but not because of any limitations. We just want to smell more of those roses instead of looking at them through the windshield as we go by at 65-70 mph.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
There are 30 year olds who should NEVER tow!

There are 90 year olds who do a GREAT job!

Age, by itself, has no bearing!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dad is 92 and still drives two seater cars.
I am 66 and still backpacking and running rivers, although I have retired from packing mules.
Go as long as you want as long as you are safe.
If someone else thinks you are not safe, consider their opinion carefully.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
"I've done it again!"

14 hrs. on a airplane, wish I could chuck, more like being a packed fish.
So big a world, so little time to see.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I am 73 and I still pull my TT and will continue to do so..I have no problems driving, pulling and backing up or setting up..Why should I quit doing what we love ?

X-2

Just cerebrated 76 years on this planet.....still towing. Retired CDL-A coast to coast driver.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
79 last June with no plans to stop towing!Have towed something from farm trailers to construction equip. from the time I could reach the peddles.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
"I've done it again!"

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is different. Not everyone age at the same rate. We are in our early 70s, healthy and active. We will continue towing as long as we can do so safely.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
My best friend is still going at 77 pulling a toy hauler and loading an unloading his Ultra Classic Harley!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This story does not involve a 70 year old, but it illustrates the point I'll make at the bottom. (NOTE: Some college professor of law says you should never talk to a cop about anyting.. Uh, the man in this story is a Deputy Sheriff, in fact Chief Deputy (#2 man in the departmetn, equal to undersheriff in other departmetns)

He was 56 years old when he got the job, Had to go back to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center for a refresher course.. his classmates are all 20 somethings.. (Assorted 20's) Well One day they had an "Endurance" test. the 20 somethings were all strutting like peacocks "Now we are going to show the old man a thing or two" (You see for George this was all review so he was doing real good in class, his 3rd time through it, First as a Deaputy, then as another job, this time as chief)

Well, at the end of the next day, as all those 20-somethings crawled to their cars for the trip home, and George strolled normally to his..... They had to change their thinking. Turns out the "Old man" was in dang good shape.

The point of all this
Age is the difference between the date on your birth certificate and today's date

Should you tow or not is more a physical condition thing, I know people much younger than I who are unsafe due to their physical condition.. And I know people much older (Well not that much) who are safe. (i'm 65)

Second true story: "Kid" dials 9-1-1 (my phone number that hour) and I answer. He tells me he's going to the hospital but he is not sure he'll make it, Describes his textbook symptoms (And I have the book in front of me).. (Break), I talk him into a parking spot and call EMS so the hospital comes to him (Return), He ends the text book description with "It can't be my heart, I'm only 27".. Well if you guessed he was describing heart attack you get an "A". And he was 27, He is older now. The Medic hung up his phone for him and he was still breathing (And talking) when the medic got there so he survived (Help arrived before he fully arrested the odds of recovery approach 100% in S.E. Michigan)

My younger brother had his heart attack about 8 years ago.

I've not had one yet, Though I have had heart problems, (lesser) they were treated and shoudl not return, and if they do I know the symptoms and what to do about it. (Ok what to do is go to hospital but I'm safe to drive there)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times