cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 70 the age to stop towing

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.
373 REPLIES 373

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
This makes no sense :h, there are pilots who fly planes well into their 70's and beyond. It depends on the individuals health. One size does not fit all when it comes to aging. I'm 72, pull a 30 ft 5th wheel from pa to Tx every winter. We will be leaving the Rio Grand Valley in two weeks, hugging the coast from Tx to the Florida keys and then north back to Pa at the end of April. My wife and I still go to a gym, and are otherwise very active.
WHEN DRIVING in Tx. it is hard to hit another car or pickup because Tx. is so large, hope you make it home ok.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
NO!
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
This makes no sense :h, there are pilots who fly planes well into their 70's and beyond. It depends on the individuals health. One size does not fit all when it comes to aging. I'm 72, pull a 30 ft 5th wheel from pa to Tx every winter. We will be leaving the Rio Grand Valley in two weeks, hugging the coast from Tx to the Florida keys and then north back to Pa at the end of April. My wife and I still go to a gym, and are otherwise very active.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any age is too old to tow ... I like all wheels to be under my control. :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

FlipVinyl
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is I do want to die in my sleep like Grandpa.
Not like his passengers screaming mercilessly in agony!! ;o)

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
ppine wrote:
This is age discrimination and trolling by some young person.
Not a young person at all, but Supercharged is a bit of a troll and generally just posts to get people worked up about something.

Or to create some humor! I personally find his posts quite funny most of the time.
Barney
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE POST OVER 11,000. PEOPLE TALK ABOUT ME A LOT, LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, I'M JUST LIKE DONALD TRUMP, BUT WITH SMALLER COTHES ON.

Now I'm really curious. What was the largest amount of reads that one of your posts ever got.

BTW, does that mean smaller gloves also?
Sorry, don't know how many.

TexasVet01
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I will vendor at 20+ Gun Shows before the year is over. I tow a 20' car hauler with 2008 Solstice and my woodworking equipment (Shopsmith, belt sander, and hand tools) inside.

I make and sell hunting and folding knives plus wooden rings and other wooden jewelry.

At 73, I expect to be traveling (with trailer) for at least another decade.

We are in Texas now for the next few weeks and are headed for California/Oregon. About May, we will head East towards Ohio and then on to New York. Hopefully by this November, we will be in Florida.

Every year we intend to slow down some, but the money is too good to pass up. We see a lot of the US and can see any part we please.

Happy Travels,
Lew

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
ppine wrote:
Not a young person at all, but Supercharged is a bit of a troll and generally just posts to get people worked up about something.

Or to create some humor! I personally find his posts quite funny most of the time.
Barney
I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE POST OVER 11,000. PEOPLE TALK ABOUT ME A LOT, LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, I'M JUST LIKE DONALD TRUMP, BUT WITH SMALLER COTHES ON.

Now I'm really curious. What was the largest amount of reads that one of your posts ever got.

BTW, does that mean smaller gloves also?
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Has more to do with overall health than age. If your reactions are still good, mind sharp, and vision decent I would say continue on.

Here...here...I agree completely. There are some 40, 50, and 60 year olds out there that should not be towing.
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
ppine wrote:

Barney

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only 65 but have some experience with this. At age 94 my father had to have a driver's test to keep his license. He failed the eye test, got new glasses and then failed the road test. I taught him to drive again. He had trouble seeing corners and making turns. Was unsafe turning onto a highway because he was so slow that fast moving vehicles could move in after he looked. He did pass the test, with restriction to local driving, and drove another 2 years when his vision could no longer be corrected to pass. There were several scrapes on the side of his van, from hitting his truck in his driveway I hope. When we brought home our motorhome he jumped in his van and drove two driveways up the street to see it ... and crashed into the back of the MH. All warning signs ignored! After he lost his license he kept driving until I lost his keys.

Don't ignore the warning signs, ask someone to ride with you and give an opinion, ask for a driving test or take a motor association course to get a professional opinion.

I look after the senior curling at our club. Last year we all knew our 90 year old curler was pushing his luck. I had no power to stop him but did tell his family. He did suffer a vertebra cracking fall which ended his curling days. Better to have quit a year earlier. An 82 year old with all his marbles says watch the sense of balance. If you feel unsteady or the least bit disoriented it is time to quit.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
All I have to say is seeing all these people in here that is older than I am ,makes me happy to know I have 20 more years of rving

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged has been around here for a long time. To get an idea of him, click on his name and you'll see his RV. ๐Ÿ™‚ Read some of his prior posts. Then you'll get the drift of this guy's comments. Don't take him seriously.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
He needs tom come up with a new troll, he used this one some time ago.

RT

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
ppine wrote:

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine