cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me?

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34 ft. TT and I could easily back that trailer into a parking spot at the mall on black Friday but yesterday and this morning I borrowed a friends 5×8 utility trailer and I could not back that trailer up to save my life. I looked like a total cluster at the loading dock, I almost pinched my truck (multiple times). And the guys waiting were definitely not happy. So is it just me? Any advice so it does not happen again?
32 REPLIES 32

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Growing up on a dairy/swine farm I have backed several different types and sizes of trailers. NEVER backed a 35+foot job however.

I have backed 8' ones. More on that in a bit

My brother likewise has backed everything from short to 40' long semi trailers.

THE GREATER THE DISTANCE from the hitch to the axle(s) the EASIER to back up the trailer is.. Or so sayeth my brother and I'd say he is an expert.

I've noticed it too. though I doh't often back big trailers. ANd of course I can tell you what is easiest to back.. A MOTOR HOME.!!!

OH. and where did you find a spot big enough to back your trailer into on Black Friday? Last time I drive the house past a store on Black Friday.. I kept on driving There was not enough parking for my bicycle in that lot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad to see I am not alone. I guess I just need more practice and different methods with a short trailer

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
You think that trailer is challenging, try a log splitter. it is probably 6' from the ball to the wheels. Can't see it at all when looking over my shoulder or the mirrors until it is essentially jack knifed. Even with a pole magnetted to the end, it turns quicker than I can recover. I have to back it at about 1 mph and still usually have to pull forward to straighten it out a few times. But I could back a 36' trailer all around a warehouse yard without any problems.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find that keeping the ramp-gate of my utility trailer in the UP position when backing helps me keep a better perspective of the direction the at the rear is going.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem threading my 25' TT between two trees, while having to do an almost 90 degree turn to miss the campers on the row in front of the tow vehicle.

But don't watch me back my 5x8 utility trailer. By the time I notice it's veering off to one side, it's too late!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
I started with frequent towing of smaller utility trailers - so I am relatively accustomed to it. But, there is no doubt that backing a short trailer is much harder than a longer TT.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a little 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer with a very short tongue. That thing is nearly impossible to back up! Get an inch out of line and it jacknifes. Especially hard in the van when I cannot see the wheels of the trailer cause it's so narrow.

I could put my old TT anywhere. The 4x8 I often end up disconnecting and moving by hand to get it where I need it lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it just me?

No
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12 ft. aluminum boat that I pull with a long wheelbase dually. I can back it into the water as I can see the top of the motor. I had to build a center bracket that sticks up with a tennis ball so I could see the trailer when backing back down the ramp. I find with short trailers that looking over my shoulder at a center point on the trailer I can pick up on minor movements and make corrections, using the mirrors, not so much.

Black Friday around here, you have to park on the freeway shoulder and hop the fence.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, it's perfectly normal what you experienced. We have a 10 x 6 bed utility trailer. It's so touchy backing up with my 22 foot long dually. It will jack-knife in a heartbeat. Well, after 5 years of owning the truck, it's definitely easier now backing that utility trailer. But it SURE does handle different than my prior 35 foot TT and now my 41 foot 5er.

As stated above, slight turning of the steering wheel, and slow, slow, slow.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 4’ X 8’ Featherlite trailer I keep under a carport.
It gets loaned all too often.
I always stress to be sure to call me when you bring it back so I have time to set up a lawn chair.
That thing will change direction and jack knife in two feet.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Try backing up a lawn tractor with a yard cart attached. More times than not, I'll start backing up and then stop, get out and move the cart into position so I can back up another 5 feet
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very common as explained above, we have a similar sized TT and it is ultra easy to get it into any site. Our ATV trailer on the other hand just does not want to comply with my steering tactics, if I go very slow when backing I can get it somewhat close to where I actually want it to be. Sometimes I use it to go to the county dump to throw trash, the workers will point to a small opening between a couple of trucks and if I am lucky it takes me just a few tries to get it right.

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
Happens to me too when I haul a strange trailer. Particularly shorter trailers