cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
I’m new here and have a question regarding towing. First off, I have a 2016 Silverado 4x4, crew cab with 3.08 gears. I’m aware of my 6100lb trailer limit (12,000 lbs total truck+trailer). I drive 100 miles round trip for work and if we ever do buy anything to tow it will be a ski boat. Due to the low profile of a boat and trailer and our not going further than 200 miles for weekend trips to the lake, I’m sure my truck will do fine in that scenario.
All that being said, we are planning a big trip to Yellowstone next summer. I’m looking to rent a travel trailer and pull it to Rapid City, through Black Hills, and on to Yellowstone. The camper I have my eye on to rent is a Keystone Passport 2400BH. Its about 28ft long, and has dry weight of 4730 lbs. I’m figuring on adding 500 lbs of cargo, propane tanks, etc. I’ll be deadheading to St Louis, picking up camper there and heading to Yellowstone. My truck has 1800lb cargo capacity and I’ll be keeping it under 1500 lbs total.
What is the opinion of those in the know of my trucks ability to tow this camper. I’d like to be able to maintain 60-65mph on the flats and obviously slow as necessary for mountain passes.

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
wadecool wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
First thing I'll look is the truck's operating manual. It should clearly state towing limits.

Owners manual says 6100 lbs tow limit, 12,000 lbs for both truck and trailer.

You should be ok then and with safe driving speed. Just be a little watchful of the trailer movements and towing vehicle handling -- swaying or buckling. One very helpful tip for me is to check the alignment of both the towing vehicle and the trailer to see that's it's level. That made a big difference in handling.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You will also need a good weight distributing hitch with sway control.

Get in the right lane and stay there. This is not a race. Keep your speed to 55-60, and slow down if there is a crosswind you can feel. Turn the overdrive off and downshift as needed. Downshift more if your tranny is doing a lot of up and down.

You will be fine, just take it easy and use common sense. Enjoy your trip!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wadecool wrote:
According to the RPO codes on sticker in glove box, it has the HD transmission cooling (KNP code).

Easy to check. If it DOES have a HD transmission cooler, there will be 3 "coolers" up front. The radiator, the A/C condenser and the furthest forward and likely the smallest the transmission cooler.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
With the 3.08 gears and the 6l80e tranny/5.3 engine you will be running in 3 and 4 most of the time.
I use manual mode in 4th-5th with a '16 1500 chevy crew cab 4wd 5.3 with 3.42 gears pulling a 10k car hauler (7600 lb trailer gross).
You won't need anything for the truck....just keep the rpms up and keep the tranny from constant up and down gear changes or TC clutch from locking and unlocking.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is doable but with the 5.3 and 3.08 gears you will struggle with hills and headwinds. Be prepared for a lot of gas stops, the truck is set up for maximum economy lightly loaded. 3.73 would be a lot better but the changeover wouldn't be cheap.

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If you have the 5.3 V8, it should do the job. I'm sure you know that TT will put you right at truck's towing limit. You will likely add more than 500 lbs to trailer wt. You will need to have some water on board while traveling, I am thinking you'll add 1,000 lbs minimum to trailer for that length of trip.

Everyone has a different comfort zone, when it comes to towing. That camper appears to be a bunk house, and you don't say how many passengers will be going on the trip. Everyone/everything in the truck counts against the truck's GCVWR.

Anyway, when towing right to the vehicles limit, some will say it was a nightmare towing experience, and the next person say the tow went really well.

Jerry

It will be myself, wife, 11 year old daughter, and 2 medium size dogs. I planned on putting most of the gear in the truck bed. As far as water, I planned on keeping the tanks in camper empty and just bringing a couple gallons to carry in truck. We can get water as needed at Ye Olde Wal-Mart as needed on the way.
I'm good with going slow and taking our time, I just want to make sure I don't cause any damage to the truck on the trip.

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Install a heavy duty transmission cooler, use tow/haul mode, and M4. Flush all the fluids, buy a proportional brake controller and you'll be fine.

According to the RPO codes on sticker in glove box, it has the HD transmission cooling (KNP code). I'm putting a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller in the truck before we go.

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
First thing I'll look is the truck's operating manual. It should clearly state towing limits.

Owners manual says 6100 lbs tow limit, 12,000 lbs for both truck and trailer.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have the 5.3 V8, it should do the job. I'm sure you know that TT will put you right at truck's towing limit. You will likely add more than 500 lbs to trailer wt. You will need to have some water on board while traveling, I am thinking you'll add 1,000 lbs minimum to trailer for that length of trip.

Everyone has a different comfort zone, when it comes to towing. That camper appears to be a bunk house, and you don't say how many passengers will be going on the trip. Everyone/everything in the truck counts against the truck's GCVWR.

Anyway, when towing right to the vehicles limit, some will say it was a nightmare towing experience, and the next person say the tow went really well.

Jerry

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Install a heavy duty transmission cooler, use tow/haul mode, and M4. Flush all the fluids, buy a proportional brake controller and you'll be fine.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I’m figuring on adding 500 lbs of cargo, propane tanks, etc” Not likely. Fifty gallons of fresh, grey and black water will be 412 pounds alone.

“I’d like to be able to maintain 60-65mph on the flats “ The rentals trailer tires are rated for what max speed?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer