cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kids Activities at State Parks

PSU1999
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for almost tween kids while at a COE campground. The older kids are 11 and 8 and we have bikes that they can ride on their own, they can visit a playground within view of our site. We also have sidewalk chalk, lawn games, I pads and movies but they seem to always want activities that takes a parent coming along like visiting a part of the park we can't see or lake swimming. We don't own a boat and won't for a while so that's out. This past weekend we were run ragged with keeping up with what they continuously were asking to do. I don't mean to sound like we don't want to participate with them but does anyone have any suggestions for entertainment that their kids can do on their own?
Me - PSU 1999
Wife - Also PSU 1999
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2026
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2029
Twin Daughters - Hopefully PSU 2033
2015 Keystone Summerland 2980 BH TT
2007 Chevy Suburban TV
28 REPLIES 28

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
cbshoestring wrote:
What do they "DO" at home? Do you entertain them constantly at home? Do they play in the yard with you keeping an eye on them?

Sit in your chair, and let them do their thing. If they start to wander off, remind them that you need to see them at all times.

Camping is a great opportunity to start learning independence. We still have the picture of your little boy bringing the bag of ice back to camp on his bicycle. What a smile on his face...:B He took a dollar, went to the end of the road, bought ICE & came back.

Of course we have that picture because we sat at the end of the site the whole time.....nervously awaiting his return.

Don't be a helicopter....we camped with some people last year that wouldn't allow their 8 yr old to make the loop by himself on his bicycle. We could see most of the loop in our chairs, but they wouldn't let him go unless one of them were with him. SAD ๐Ÿ˜ž Think of the independence he would have "thought" he had, while an eyeball could have been on him the whole time :W

Maybe times are just different....Our youngest is in the Air Force.

I agree, but I will point out that the OP has 4 kids (11, 8, and 2- 4yr olds per their signature). What I'd let an 8 or 11 year old do is different than what I'd let a 4 year old do. I also wouldn't want to put the pressure of "watching out for" the 4 year olds on the older kids. That puts the OP in a slightly different situation than having one kid or a couple at older ages.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PSU1999
Explorer
Explorer
Please. I didn't want to ignite a debate on sidewalk chalk but Unlike "graffiti" with paint or other methods the chalk washes off as soon as it rains or wears off when vehicles drive over it.
Me - PSU 1999
Wife - Also PSU 1999
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2026
Daughter - Hopefully PSU 2029
Twin Daughters - Hopefully PSU 2033
2015 Keystone Summerland 2980 BH TT
2007 Chevy Suburban TV

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
x2, or3, or4 on no sidewalk chalk. It just makes a huge mess. You wouldn't let your kids draw on the outside of a public building, so why would it be OK to deface a public park?

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
What do they "DO" at home? Do you entertain them constantly at home? Do they play in the yard with you keeping an eye on them?

Sit in your chair, and let them do their thing. If they start to wander off, remind them that you need to see them at all times.

Camping is a great opportunity to start learning independence. We still have the picture of your little boy bringing the bag of ice back to camp on his bicycle. What a smile on his face...:B He took a dollar, went to the end of the road, bought ICE & came back.

Of course we have that picture because we sat at the end of the site the whole time.....nervously awaiting his return.

Don't be a helicopter....we camped with some people last year that wouldn't allow their 8 yr old to make the loop by himself on his bicycle. We could see most of the loop in our chairs, but they wouldn't let him go unless one of them were with him. SAD ๐Ÿ˜ž Think of the independence he would have "thought" he had, while an eyeball could have been on him the whole time :W

Maybe times are just different....Our youngest is in the Air Force.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I know it gets tiring keeping up with kids, but I think you're extremely lucky that your kids want to be OUTSIDE and PLAYING rather than watching movies.

Now, having said that :), here are some options:

1. pine cone, log decorating - bring glue, glitter, etc. and have the kids collect moss, etc. and then they can sit at the picnic table decorating.

2. photography - get them each a cheap digital camera and let them at it. Give them assignments like "take a photo of wood" and encourage them to use their imagination (a twig, tree, bench, sign, etc. could all meet the category wood). P&S digital cameras are great for macro photography, so encourage them to take photos of mini flowers in the grass or bugs, etc.

3. scavenger hunt - make a list of natural items that can be found around and in a campsite and have them search for them.

4. let the kids plan and make a campfire meal. There are tons of recipes out there (not just hot dogs and beans anymore). You can start this before the trip and let them help identify the ingredients, etc. The night of the meal, let them do the preparations and everything.

5. get them to help in the set up and daily chores.

6. enjoy this time with them. Soon enough they'll be not wanting you around at all and you'll be missing the days of watching them play in the lake.

Excellent ideas. Some state parks have programs just for the children. Check them out. Also, all national parks have ranger programs for the children.

We've volunteered in many public parks and what we didn't like was using chalk on the paved streets. First, the kids are in the street - in possible traffic. Second, this is a form of graffiti and is unsightly. One of our duties was to wash down the chalk stuff every night. It would be easy to bring along a large size chalk board which could be slipped in easily in any cubby hole.
Thank you, I was just about to be the devils advocate on that one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:

A fun game we play is walkie talkie tag. We use GMRS radios, everyone goes and hides, entire campground is the playing field. The hiders then give clues to their whereabouts. The kids are also require to carry the radios at all times when they are away from camp.

Great idea! Never heard of or considered that one.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that we do on top of the walkie-talkie is make each child carry a whistle. Accomplishes two things; 1) If they get lost in the woods and the batteries die or they are out of range with walkie- talkie 2) to be used in case any emergency should happen.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I know it gets tiring keeping up with kids, but I think you're extremely lucky that your kids want to be OUTSIDE and PLAYING rather than watching movies.

1. pine cone, log decorating - bring glue, glitter, etc. and have the kids collect moss, etc. and then they can sit at the picnic table decorating.

2. photography - get them each a cheap digital camera and let them at it. Give them assignments like "take a photo of wood" and encourage them to use their imagination (a twig, tree, bench, sign, etc. could all meet the category wood). P&S digital cameras are great for macro photography, so encourage them to take photos of mini flowers in the grass or bugs, etc.

3. scavenger hunt - make a list of natural items that can be found around and in a campsite and have them search for them.

4. let the kids plan and make a campfire meal. There are tons of recipes out there (not just hot dogs and beans anymore). You can start this before the trip and let them help identify the ingredients, etc. The night of the meal, let them do the preparations and everything.

6. enjoy this time with them. Soon enough they'll be not wanting you around at all and you'll be missing the days of watching them play in the lake.

Excellent ideas. Some state parks have programs just for the children. Check them out. Also, all national parks have ranger programs for the children.

We've volunteered in many public parks and what we didn't like was using chalk on the paved streets. First, the kids are in the street - in possible traffic. Second, this is a form of graffiti and is unsightly. One of our duties was to wash down the chalk stuff every night. It would be easy to bring along a large size chalk board which could be slipped in easily in any cubby hole.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
TexasShadow wrote:
many kids don't want to entertain themselves these days. they want to be entertained. they don't want to go exploring..they are used to the world coming to them via tv or ipad, etc. swimming is one thing they still like to do, but they don't want to do anything on their own.

It doesn't sound like this is the problem here. It seems more that the kids want to go explore and swim in the lake and the parents aren't comfortable sending them off on their own. Meaning, the parents have to go along for the hikes and swimming all day long.

With 2 4-year olds, I wouldn't be comfortable letting them go off on their own to swim in lake, but I like the idea of the walkie talkies and letting them explore around the campground.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
If you can, pickup a copy of an old (or new) Boy Scout Handbook. The handbook has lots of information about the outdoors, plant identification, animal tracks & scat, rope/knot tying, astronomy, first aid, outdoor games and more. Even though I'm in my sixties I still carry one in our RV....it has come in handy when Nieces and Nephews visit. I refer to it often for plant, bird and astronomy....

And these can easily be done as a family.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you can, pickup a copy of an old (or new) Boy Scout Handbook. The handbook has lots of information about the outdoors, plant identification, animal tracks & scat, rope/knot tying, astronomy, first aid, outdoor games and more. Even though I'm in my sixties I still carry one in our RV....it has come in handy when Nieces and Nephews visit. I refer to it often for plant, bird and astronomy....

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
many kids don't want to entertain themselves these days. they want to be entertained. they don't want to go exploring..they are used to the world coming to them via tv or ipad, etc. swimming is one thing they still like to do, but they don't want to do anything on their own.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have lots of water toys, floats, kayaks and an island for them to play on. They ride their bikes and fish. My son also plays basketball and they usually make friends for the week. I also let them bring a friend on our shorter trips.
A fun game we play is walkie talkie tag. We use GMRS radios, everyone goes and hides, entire campground is the playing field. The hiders then give clues to their whereabouts. The kids are also require to carry the radios at all times when they are away from camp.
If they get bored I make them walk the dogs and that usually puts a stop to that.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian