cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaving black tank full

yeabuddy
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is parked on a seasonal site this year and after the long weekend our black tank read full right before leaving. I shut off the water, looked down the toilet and sure enough the "water" was just below the bottom of the drain. My question is... is it ok to leave it full for 2 weeks until we come back up so as to let the chemicals do their work (break down waste and tissue etc.) or should I empty it?
17 REPLIES 17

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
It won't hurt anything to leave it, but it won't help either. It's a HOLDING tank, not a septic system. There's no benefit of leaving it over dumping before you leave the CG.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sure wouldn't leave it for two weeks. I bet you'll come back to a real stinky trailer.

Drain and flush (fill) it out a couple of times and then leave a few gallons of fresh water in it.

Those chemicals are just basically deodorants...waste of money in my opinion.

Now if you put rid-x or something like that in there and leave it for two weeks, you will definitely have nothing but liquid when you get back......but the smell will still be there.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're fine, but whether chemicals do much more than water itself is another issue.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman