cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED light strip for lighting up steps

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our porch light is useless except for blinding you and the Kwikee step light is basically useless, so I decided to buy some 12"/30 LED light strips in amber to experiment with as step lighting. They are cheapies and may not last long but to experiment with should work fine.

We don't like to leave our porch light on because it shines out and not down, even with lower CP than OEM lamps they just shine in folks eyes but do not light up the steps.

I chose amber LEDs because amber light doesn't carry as far as white and the other color options aren't to my liking. I don't want to fumble with installing a switch and there doesn't seem to be a really good location for everyone in the family, so I am going to try a 12vdc RF remote switch similar to this;

Remote switch

Have any of you tried these China made switches?

I have a really good quality switch but the receiver and transmitter are really big. This setup is fairly small and the key fob seems to be small enough to attach to the RV's key ring.

This unit is a two circuit unit so I could attach an interior light or even a work light that would shine on the tow bar.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
8 REPLIES 8

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
A box of pins, dumped all over the floor.....

With all the beach camping, when it came time for the LED's I removed the step and completely repainted it as it was all surface rusted. One thing Winnebago is lousy at is painting
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff, I bet your garage is neat as a pin. I have never seen a step assembly as clean as that. I don't think new RVs have such clean steps.

Looks good.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Here they are. I forgot I abandoned the OEM in place.

I'm a big fan of Amber too. LEDZILLA is 12 1W Amber LEDS I use for an area light. Very unobtrusive.
Jeff - WA6EQU

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jeff, I hadn't thought about a clearance light. If these "waterproof" strips fail, I'll get a clearance light too. I like the amber light because of the wave length, red is shorter but I don't like red, reminds me of mid watch, everything was red in the control room and we had to wear goggles when leaving the aft battery or fwd torpedo room for a lookout watch.

I'll post pictures when I get the lights and remote and when I get the wall mount TV wired and when I move the computer to the new desk and when I get the aluminum trim channel painted to match the siding... Maybe when the DW goes to her quilters sew in. Oh yeah, I forgot I have to figure why the engine isn't getting a good fuel flow before doing anything else on the MoHo.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Those little remotes work pretty good, I bought two cuz they are cheap.

As far as light, ours has a switch in the door turning on some Amber incandescents under the stairs. I removed them and installed an Amber LED Side marker light under the chassis.
Jeff - WA6EQU

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Muddydogs but my light is a Bargman porch light from years ago, it is rectangular and inset into the wall just high enough that at 6' tall it blinds me. It also has a assist handle as part of the casting. I don't want to add something on the wall. BarneyS suggested a battery powered, removable light but I really don't want something else to add to my pre-trip check list, "remove the porch light".

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the porch light with this light. Its led, adjustable for light angle, motion activated and you can get an amber lens for the buggy season.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want a great porch light that only comes on when you approach the steps and lights up only the area a few feet around the steps, then get one of these. We have ours focused on our steps and it turns off about a minute after there is no more motion. It is also easily removable for travel. We have one and love it!

My son has one like this. His is brighter than ours but otherwise is about the same. I think his uses 4 D cells where ours uses 4 C cells.

Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine