cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lightning and RV'ing

Boozecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Today, lightning hit a little too close for comfort. It made a direct hit on an 80' tall pine tree 30' feet from my rig. I think it took out my Winegard Pathway X2 which was sitting on a stand near the 5'er. Did not hit the 5'er, thank God!!!
Question: if I'm parked long term, should I consider putting in a ground rod and connecting it to the frame? What do others do to safeguard against lightning?
2011 F250 SuperCrew Lariat 6.7L Diesel 4x4
Air Lift Airbags
2014 Bighorn 3570RS
21 REPLIES 21

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
If the lightning is able to jump through the air for a mile what is a little rubber going to do? The best thing for lightning protection is a good insurance policy. I have experienced 2 lightning strikes; one at our home and one on Pentecost Sunday at Church while I was playing the organ. (Hit a wrong note and God gets you.) Insurance saved us in both cases.

~

Is your real name Joe Btfsplk (from Lil' Abner)?..:@

Church members should be really happy!.....
you are seated at the organ - - rather than next to them!..:W

~

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bsinmich wrote:
If the lightning is able to jump through the air for a mile what is a little rubber going to do? The best thing for lightning protection is a good insurance policy. I have experienced 2 lightning strikes; one at our home and one on Pentecost Sunday at Church while I was playing the organ. (Hit a wrong note and God gets you.) Insurance saved us in both cases.

Thanks for the laugh

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:

I don't want to be around you for the third. Seriously though, are you the one I heard about on the news?

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
John S. wrote:
Think you sweat being in an RV during a storm. Try a sailboat on the water.

Or out on a boat listening to your antennas buzz.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MrWizard
There was a 20 yr old young man killed last week when lighting struck the water near a local beach, 14 people injured by that same strike
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rocky71 wrote:
My RV got hit with lighting I had my jacks down and it went up
my jacks and burn out a lot of things.$3,000 things.
so I put rubber on my jacks so it don't do it again I hope.
But I keep them up. Parked in My yard. Good Luck
That should keep you safe.:R I'm sure lightning after traveling miles is going to be stopped by a 1/4 inch of rubber.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think you sweat being in an RV during a storm. Try a sailboat on the water.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
People get hit by lighting in only one way, they are outside of a building or vehicle during a thunderstorm. Even then most people outside are not hit, fools luck I guess.

Of the people struck and killed so far in 2014 this is what they were doing:

standing in backyard by tree
closing car windows
fishing at edge of lake
riding motorcycle on the highway
doing roofing at car dealership
picking blueberries
in park under a tree
on roadway fixing windshield wiper
under a tree while walking home
hiking on exposed trail
horseback riding on family property
sightseeing at parking area of overlook

If you are inside a building or vehicle it is recommended that the windows are kept closed.

In the USA you are at far more risk of dying from food poisoning than from being struck by lightning.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
tegu69 wrote:
Rocky71 wrote:

Chances are it will not do it again, but it won't be because of rubber on the jacks or putting them up. Lightning is not going to stop someplace in your camper. Its getting to a ground somewhere. I've seen it blow 4 tires out on a car one time.

Correct - and (the rubber is a waste of time) - easily verifiable via any of the Lightning web sites.

A *steel* vehicle will protect occupants due to the Faraday cage, *not* because of rubber tires providing "insulation"...;)

~

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky71 wrote:

Chances are it will not do it again, but it won't be because of rubber on the jacks or putting them up. Lightning is not going to stop someplace in your camper. Its getting to a ground somewhere. I've seen it blow 4 tires out on a car one time.

Rocky71
Explorer
Explorer

Boozecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the verdict is in! The massive lightning strike that hit a tall pine tree 30' from my rig last Saturday took out my string of lights on the side, got into the pourch light, both not working. and a SAT TV antenna. Very lucky otherwise.
In regards to the electrical outlet and pourch light.....any recommendations on trouble shooting these issues? I'm going to do that this afternoon after work. I do know, no breakers were tripped on the pannel, no visible signs of damage anywhere. I will check the fuse panel tonight. If I check the bulb and fuses and they are Ok, what should I look for next? Oh! I do have a volt meter should I need it. I proclaim to be a part time amature electrician, but that's as far as it goes.
And thanks for all the advice.
2011 F250 SuperCrew Lariat 6.7L Diesel 4x4
Air Lift Airbags
2014 Bighorn 3570RS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
No, it will not help.
The best thing you could do is leave it unplugged.

Leaving the cord unplugged and laying on the ground won't save you. The EMP created by a lightening strike can induce a electrical pulse in a cord laying on the ground. Only safe thing to do is pull the cord in

Hooooo boy - here we go (again)..:R

OP: The ground rod = *NO*.....well - *maybe* if you pounded it 8' into the ground per code for a sticks & bricks...:W

Thread: "Do U unplug RV and retract antennae during storm?"

The "who-do" and the "who-don't"....pros and cons from right here on RV Net (2010). Entertaining!.:B

And the "pros" say.....

John DeArmond --- about 5 paragraphs down...

"One of the simplest and yet most effective means of diverting lightning energy is to put a loop or two in all leads entering a building.......
In RV terms, looping the power cord a couple of loops near the outlet box will do wonders".

About another paragraph down.....
"All that said, the easiest way to protect an RV is to simply unplug it when a storm approaches".

Add'l sources of good *reliable* info available (there *are* lots)....

here's another - see: *third* item of - The three times to turn off the breaker"....
"And if lightning is on it's way, it's a good precaution to turn off the breaker and then disconnect your RV from the campground electrical system" (etc.)...;)

~