cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lippert Components - Not our friends.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Very disappointed in Lippert Components. I have a dual air/hydraulic leveling system on my motor home made by Lippert for Valid Systems. One morning we woke up and went to leave our site. We were only there one night so I leveled on the air system. When I put the leveling system into travel mode the pump motor starting a high pitch and very loud whine and quickly failed. When we reached our destination and I could start to look at things better I took apart the pump assembly from the manifold and then removed it from the jug and found that a small plastic piece that looks very much like a straw had broken off from where it was inserted into the pump. This plastic piece was about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter. The pick up tube connected to it and therefore the pump and motor were running dry right before it failed.

I started dealing with Lippert and was told that they would not sell this plastic piece to me and that I would have to buy their part # 359354 @ $2176.95. This part number is for the entire pump assembly. How nice of them. The little plastic piece could not cost more than a few pennies and I would have been happy to pay a premium for it, but not thousands of dollars. I know I am smarter than the pump so I drilled out the area the plastic part clipped into and threaded it and screwed in a brass hose barb that will never break. Then I bought a new motor from Ebay for $165.00. Put the whole thing back together and it works great. But it still eats at me just how bad they would have ripper me off. My end cost was just under $200 to make the repairs.

I wanted to share this for two reasons. 1st because of how disgusted I am with Lippert. and 2nd so that others may find this and be able to help themselves not be taken advantage of.

Photos of what I did are here in no order. https://imgur.com/a/mzWmbkk
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
22 REPLIES 22

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lippert blows.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They are the very poster child for junk.
I fear any complicated system in an RV that's made by Lippert and will avoid buying anything with such a system if I can.
There are just some things you cannot do cheap - hydraulics being one.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap Junk. No pride in workmanship. All about profits. Sadly they could have used quality materials for very little more expense and passed it on to you but chose not to. Thanks for the warning. Problem is the RV industry as a whole buys this junk in bulk and really are not our friends.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, I bought a nylon barb and decided to go with the brass so it would never break again so I probably still would have gone brass even if I had the 3D printer option.

wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Depending on how the piece was made, you may have been able to have someone with a 3D printer fabricate a new one.

Just a thought for future reference.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah or a local machine shop might be able to fabricate one out of metal or maybe plastic. Take the piece to one and see what they say.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how the piece was made, you may have been able to have someone with a 3D printer fabricate a new one.

Just a thought for future reference.