cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lippert StrapTek WD setup

CHD_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Didnt see this listed anywhere on here and thought some of you engineers would like to noodle over it!

Lippert StrapTek

Looks to simply replace the chains and snap up bracket of normal WD systems. Not sure how much "better" this would be but its interesting to say the least.
2012 FR Surveyor Sport 295
2015 Nissan NVP 3500 SL 5.6L
Tekonsha P3 / "New" Blue Ox Sway Pro
34 REPLIES 34

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
As a former flatbed driver I can attest that straps lasted years being used all day everyday. These should easily outlast the camper. I don't have the snap up brackets on mine, just hooks for the chains so I have to raise and lower the trailer/ TV at least twice to hook up, sometimes more if I'm not on a level site and I run out of up or down on the jack.

Before I go camping again I am going to get some of these. I'll let you know what I think. It seems too simple not to work.
Big Brother is watching.

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
past history of there frames leave doubt for me. New Idea is great, will wait for proof in time and use.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

7and7
Explorer
Explorer
Hey VegasScotty, With the straptek there is no need to use the cams. Get the strap ring raised as high as you can, up to the bottom of the winch, and it will control the sway. The first time I tried it I admit was a little scary. Set it up and hit the road. I have been using mine all summer with no alturnative sway control. I think you'll be impressed!
I forgot to mention, there is two u-bolt holes in your spring bars. Take your u-bolts out of your current hangers and use them to mount your strap directly to the spring bars,take the cams clear off.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
My chains won't ever rot in the sun nor stretch from snapping up. I just checked on my ladder tree stand before deer season kicks in and two of my straps tore when I went to adjust them. I'll stick with metal in critical applications, thanks.

And I'm no fan of the Lippert name either. Seen their work.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

gaugeair
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like it could work. Watch the videos in the link. This is from the Lippert web site. This answers some questions from other post.

http://lci1.com/straptek
2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab
2007 Aluma Lite 8311s HR

VegasScotty
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
It looks like a different way to accomplish the same end results. I can see the straps would be less noise than a chain set up. You would need to find a way to mark the straps so that you re-tensioned them to the same tension every time.

The chains will allow returning to the same setting by simply counting links. The chains would be less likely to wear.

From my years with a travel trailer, I found the old and proven Reese Dual Cam Straightline worked very well.

I don't notice them to be quieter, since most of my noise comes from the cams.

Yes, I just mark my spot and set it as close as I can, then before getting under way I find a straight flat spot and do a quick check to make sure the cams are sitting on the spring bars equally.

One benefit I've seen is the ability to fine tune the chain length (or here strap length.)
I saw one post where someone complained that after setting up their hitch, when they burned down their 60 gallons (dual tanks) the setup was no longer perfect and there was no way to adjust the chains.

I don't really have that problem with my 25 gal tank, but I could certainly see how loading my rig differently (say for a weekend vs a week or more) could change my TW by up to a couple hundred pounds, and of course that would certainly lead me to tighten the strap a click or two.
Scott.n.Tira from Las Vegas
2021 GD Imagine 2670MK
2012 F250 4x4 6.2 LB

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Fatigue factor far greater with plastic fibers than metal...have been others that Iv'e seen on this forum hawking either this or another product that do the same as steel chain, think I would stick with the latter.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be a good product and I can see the advantages, but this quote by the "product developer" made me chuckle:

"Like other RVers out there, hooking up my weight distribution system made me anxious,โ€ said Product Developer Dave Gramlin. โ€œI was tired of dealing with noisy, cumbersome and potentially dangerous chain systems that sometimes left me with bruises.

Bruises??

In 9 years of using the chain system, I was never anxious and never got a bruise. Simple to do if you know how. Some apparently don't.

From a marketing perspective, this looks like a very good idea if you can convert thousands of the old chain systems.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like a different way to accomplish the same end results. I can see the straps would be less noise than a chain set up. You would need to find a way to mark the straps so that you re-tensioned them to the same tension every time.

The chains will allow returning to the same setting by simply counting links. The chains would be less likely to wear.

From my years with a travel trailer, I found the old and proven Reese Dual Cam Straightline worked very well.

Like others have noted, the name Lippert is a turn off to me.

Ken...retired mechanical engineer.
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

VegasScotty
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd rejuvinate this old topic.

I bought a set of StrapTek brackets last month when my Reese Snap-Up bracket bent and fell off my TT. I have Reese cam sway control and after getting here and looking I see I'm not the only one.

I like StrapTek just up front because the frame bracket has 2 set screws and is a little narrower than the generic sized Reese brackets. So hopefully no more bracket failures!

Plus the price was reasonable... meaning not cheap but I didn't choke. I paid $170 and the local RV store in ND where my bracket failed wanted $65 for a non-reese snap-up bracket.

Who else has tried these?
Scott.n.Tira from Las Vegas
2021 GD Imagine 2670MK
2012 F250 4x4 6.2 LB

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
They have a tough time building a good trailer frame, much less that. Best to stay away from anything that has there name on it.
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a good idea.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I had to raise mine up and down several times to hook up:

Raise/lower to set on ball.
Latch coupler
Raise up enough to engage correct links on snap up brackets.
Engage snap up bracket.
Lower and be ready for road.

I like the infinite adjustability of the concept. I like the fact there are no snap up brackets. I imagine the straps are marked in some way to tell how far you have tightened them up. Definite weight savings. As far as cranking and cranking on the ratchets, it's all according to how they have it geared. My Hensley screw jacks can take a bit of time.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

babies_dadeo
Explorer
Explorer
I just love how open minded, receptive to new ideas and, over all, positive people on here are...
Or not...

This to me seems like an interesting new take on torqueing up your bars. Todays ratchet straps have seriously high working load limits and stand up extremely well to the elements. It would be quiet, easy to hook up. I like it, don't get me wrong I am not trading in my current hitch.

I can see where having the same amount of torque on each side would be a bit of a pain if not on reasonably level ground. I wonder if perhaps it does not matter quite as much as it would with chain because there is an engineered degree of stretch with a strap. (one of the reasons they are the preferred method of load securement in the heavy haul industry.
Anyhow, neat idea, I will look forward to hearing from some actual users.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems full of misinformation as well. I don't have to raise and lower the TT endlessly to hook up. It goes into the same link EVERY time. And I wonder how he got bruised. Did he fall on the tongue, did he trip over the drawbar?

Seems like it is just more trouble from his description.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers