cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pull in slides in wind?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Bullhead City in a wind storm. At what wind speed would you pull in your slides? Sustained or gusts? Thanks!
49 REPLIES 49

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
joeburnes wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Slide outs are self supporting. No need for supports! If the slide out is lifting in the wind, there is much more to worry about......like getting to shelter!

....and there is no need for cruise control on vehicles....but it sure does help

Yes, but cruise control does not fix a problem. it is a factory offered option. never seen supports as an option!

Again, if one needs slide out supports, then something is broken!

Agree...I've never seen a 5er or TT that came with a slide out also come with supports for the slide out....In fact, I've owned more than several 5er's that stated in owners manuals to NOT use slide supports. I know I wouldn't want a slide support under my slide if unit is swaying side to side... it .would surely be putting stress on the slide out mechanism when slide sways downward and support is pushing upward. Saw a unit that was parked in a seasonal spot with supports underneath it's 3 slides, a curbside rear tire was flat and the living room slide was being pushed upward because support wouldn't let slide lower with that back part of the unit with flat tire....no one there to take care of it.

slide supports are not needed per most 5er manufacturers, and if one were to read their owners manual, they may find out it's not recommended. I've never used them, even when wind was blowing at 80 mph..5er was unscathed..

slide out supports are mostly an after market money ploy, (ever noticed they're not marketed by an RV manufacturer?), but people will buy and use them even if not recommended by the manufacturer of their unit
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
joeburnes wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Slide outs are self supporting. No need for supports! If the slide out is lifting in the wind, there is much more to worry about......like getting to shelter!

....and there is no need for cruise control on vehicles....but it sure does help

Yes, but cruise control does not fix a problem. it is a factory offered option. never seen supports as an option!

Again, if one needs slide out supports, then something is broken!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
joeburnes wrote:
JWRoberts wrote:
Never ever use slide supports, especially in high winds.

You should leave your slides out. The center of gravity will remain about the same, but the area around it will be greater. Thus more stability

Why "never ever use slide supports"?

Because supports are not required for a slide out. if your slideout needs to be supported, it is broken and needs to be fixed!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!

joeburnes
Explorer
Explorer
JWRoberts wrote:
Never ever use slide supports, especially in high winds.

You should leave your slides out. The center of gravity will remain about the same, but the area around it will be greater. Thus more stability

Why "never ever use slide supports"?
Remember: If you light a man a fire, he's warm for one night....but, if you light a man ON fire, he's warm for the rest of his life!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Wind got one of my supports so I had to improvise. Thank god there was a tree near by.

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
November 2006, Flint, TX: high winds from the south. Fiver really rocking. Pulled in slides, hitched up, faced into wind, and dropped trailer legs and put a bit of weight on them. That did a lot to stabilize the rig. Rode it (and a really impressive thunderstorm) out for four or five hours. Found out the next day a tornado had passed .3 mi to our west.

Oct 19,20,21 2007: Valley of Fires NRA, Carrizozo, NM. Three days of wind, guessing 40-60 mph. Had our short-legged tripod/dish antenna out, with maybe 40-50 lbs of rock on each foot. Blew over, anyway.

Funny how our two biggest wind experiences came in our first two years on the road.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
2oldman wrote:
rjxj wrote:
You didn't read the last paragraph did you.
The sarcasm?

No, just a dead horse issue with disclaimer in last paragraph. We better get some rope and stakes, the wind may get worse later today. Buddies panels are up and he now doesn't want to go up there. I froze my hands off out there this morning. Why didn't you tell me this was coming?

Haven't visited Wall, but I've sure seen the signs!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
Us out West wrote:
homefor2 wrote:
I'm on the beach at Lake Havasu and it's been howling since the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad I don't have slide toppers due to noise. I have no movement of the slides at all and didn't consider bringing them in. Our unit is very heavy. Maybe that's why it doesn't move.

:h

If you don't have slide toppers how do you know they are noisy?

Just saying......

Oh btw... and ours are not a noise issue.

My last RV had them and was real noisy.
Only a little noise at times, but wind really had to be blowing...again, guess it depends on how well toppers were installed and if they maintain their tautness. ( fabric seems to do better than vinyl)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
homefor2 wrote:
I'm on the beach at Lake Havasu and it's been howling since the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad I don't have slide toppers due to noise. I have no movement of the slides at all and didn't consider bringing them in. Our unit is very heavy. Maybe that's why it doesn't move.

:h

If you don't have slide toppers how do you know they are noisy?

Just saying......

Oh btw... and ours are not a noise issue.

My last RV had them and was real noisy.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
In WV we had no shelter to get to...we left the 5er to avoid falling limbs and trees....got in the truck and drove in the middle of a field, to avoid flying debris, (no tornado, just extreme high winds)...In SC, we "rode it out".... Something I hope to never do again:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
If the slide out is lifting in the wind, there is much more to worry about......like getting to shelter!
LOL.. it's not quite that bad! Although we sought shelter in my truck at 5am once. Wind is just loud and annoying, mostly.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Hate the wind! Been getting hit broadside on the door side all day. Pain in the tail getting in and out. Then once out we are being chased by tumble weeds! Slides are out and will stay out but a good day to not have toppers.

Camping in the wind reminds me of swimming in the ocean post JAWS. You know you aren't going to get bit but the song goes through your head anyways.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW