cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a generator

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
Have always had onboard generators with motorhomes. Have downsized to a Travel Trailer. Feeling the need for a generator for the RV, and as a backup for the house. One big enough for the RV Air Conditioner/Microwave, etc would work for the "emergency leg" of the breaker box in the house. What would you suggest? Propane? Duel Fuel? Electric Start? Other considerations?
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)
38 REPLIES 38

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
Champion 3500 about a 100.00 more and remote start. I just cant make myself depend on anything from Horrible Freight.
Jay D.

This is good advice. Service and parts are avialable with a Champion product. You will have great difficulty finding any service center touch a Harbor Freight product.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in what an emergency leg is also.

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a well a 240 volt generator will be required.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We have a 2400w that will run the RV air/con (no hard start or other special features) but it's marginal.

I would lean toward an inverter style of at least 3000w, so you aren't having to mess around to get the air/con to run.

Yes, you can run the house but may need to limit the loads (it won't run the whole house air/con).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 3500 will work for the rv but probably not enough to run the house. Don't forget about the hot water heater, fridge, freezer all of which draw more than the ones in an rv.
What do you mean by the 'emergency leg' in the breaker box? You would need to have a transfer switch wired in by a licenced electrician.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Champion 3500 about a 100.00 more and remote start. I just cant make myself depend on anything from Horrible Freight.
Jay D.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good size for a generator and you would likely have no issues running any of the things you mentioned.

A 2000W generator like this Harbor Freight model or this Champion model would certainly run your microwave. You may have to add a "hard start kit" for your air conditioner.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would get this one from Harbor Freight.
3500 Watt gasoline genset

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker