cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for long weekend destination

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for destination in northeast....some area where stuff to do. I have 3 teenage daughters- shopping works...... any thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Ricketts Glen state park is in the Northeast side of PA and beautiful. I'd tackle history, food, etc. in Philly and keep it simple.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
How about near the Mall of America?

That's a tad more than 4 hours from NJ, unless you go by jet.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Get a site at Wildwood state park on Longisland, than hop the train into New York City.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about near the Mall of America?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Where haven't you been? Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put a State or City in the blank.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I went to an on-line map that draws radius circles from any point. I focused on Central NJ and went out 200 miles. (about 4 hours of towing time at 50 mph).

The spot that grabbed my attention first within that 200 mile radius was Hershey, Pennsylvania. You've got the Hershey factory and amusement park there. You are also well within reach of Washington DC, Gettysburg PA, and Baltimore. You are still within reach of Amish Country (Lancaster PA).

Actually, considering you are traveling with a pack of girls, I would ask them what they are most interested in seeing and doing. "Shoping" is not a good answer. (Actually, underground Alexandria Virginia is an interesting shopping area, and close to Mt. Vernon and Fort Belvoir). The next question should be "Where?" and keep drilling down till you get a specific destination.

For example, if the conscientious was American Girl Doll's, the location would be Middletown, Wisconsin, because that is where their corporate offices are located. If their interest is Chocolate, then definitely Hershy Pennsylvania. A simple Google search on their subject of choice and you can pin-point down a location rather quick.

We once did a 10 day trip all around Indiana. We hit every railroad museum in the state. We moved to 3 different locations to make it happen. But it gave us destination points, and something to do while there. Actually, that was one of our better trips too.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're interested in an amusement park, Knoebels in Elysburg, PA is great and pretty affordable. The on-site campground is unexceptional but well-maintained and well-run and very much on-site. HersheyPark also has a campground associated with it (not quite on-site, but shuttle service is available, I think).

Watkin's Glen SP (Watkins Glen, NY) is a neat place to explore/hike a bit. There's a nice swimming pool at the state park too. You could take a side trip to the Corning Glass Museum, which is more interesting than it may at first sound.

There's always the Big Apple...Liberty Harbor, or if you're feeling more adventuresome, Floyd Bennett Field.

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
yea good point- I live in NJ... Would like to stay in around a 4 hour drive (Lake George we've been to)-- thanks - keep suggestions coming

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your destination is very broad. North East is a lot of terretory. You could go whale watching in Maine. Visit Old Salem, Massachusetts and learn about witch burning. You can go to the White Mountains and camp yourself to pieces! You can go to Niagara Falls and rent a barrel (well, I don't think you can do that any more). Washington DC, Vermont, are all consider North East. Lots you can do in Vermont. Great State parks, lots of history.

You could go to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio (That's still considered North East). Geneva on the Lake (Ohio) is a remarkable place, and the State Park there is great! Beach area on Lake Erie is fantastic (water is cold though). Bring your heated swim trunks!

Cape Code, Amish country in Pennsylvania, and how about Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell?

Any major city will have all the shopping your family can ever want.

Narrow down the geographical area and area of interests. Then you'll have more suggestions than you can deal with on one trip.