cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for portable electric space heater for rv!

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 34’ class A motor home with its built in gas heater. running on propane gas. I’m looking for a good space heater to place on the floor, electric that I could place near me only when I’m awake and watching tv. Something compact, electric and capable of heating the area around us.
51 REPLIES 51

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had fairly good luck with the Vornado and also Dyson but nothing can compete with my Cheap Heat.

X2!

Plus it runs off the furnace , hard to beat cheap heat , it’s either electric or propane , your choice when using the RV furnace. When having a electric hookup , run it on electric, no need to run on propane.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had fairly good luck with the Vornado and also Dyson but nothing can compete with my Cheap Heat.

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just make sure whatever you buy has a heavier duty cord. The cheaper ones usually don't and they will get hot when plugged in running because the wiring is not sufficient for the load used. We have a Honeywell with variable speed. Sometimes it's just cool and you don't need the full power , just a little to take the chill off.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
spoon059 the problem with digital is that if the power blips at all then they default to turning off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My suggestion is to get one with a digital thermostat on it. That way you can set it to a temp that you find comfortable and know to always turn it to that. I don't think there is much difference besides digital and analog thermostats... maybe one has a remote or something.

They work great inside campers. We always have two for our 32' bunkhouse camper. 1 is usually enough for most cooler nights for the whole camper. If its gonna be cold, we'll turn 2 on.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember your heated underbelly is not being heated doing this. Get another one for that area for when temps plummet.
Puma 30RKSS

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a 34' travel trailer and I use two ceramic heaters. I run them both on low and they do a great job. They're also small and easy to store.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
BarneyS wrote:
As mentioned by one poster earlier, we also use a Vornado electric heater in our trailer. We have used it for quite a few years in weather down to the 30's and it keeps us comfortable.

In addition to heating a quite large area, it is very quiet, in contrast to some of the other elec heaters we have tried. The fan blows the heat out for quite a ways and does not interfere with the tv or talking etc.
Barney

X3 for the Vornado's

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned by one poster earlier, we also use a Vornado electric heater in our trailer. We have used it for quite a few years in weather down to the 30's and it keeps us comfortable.

In addition to heating a quite large area, it is very quiet, in contrast to some of the other elec heaters we have tried. The fan blows the heat out for quite a ways and does not interfere with the tv or talking etc.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The oil filled models are lager and don't heat up as quick, but they give of a mice "soft" heat.

For a 30+' RV you are going to need 2 !

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“RV wiring may not be up to 1500 watt. 750 is not often a problem but 1500 is.. the reason is the el-cheapo "uni-box" style outlets do not have enough contact area with the wires so they get hot and literally melt.”

Agreed! In my small TT 750 watts is plenty regardless.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We got one at true value for $20 or 30. Work’s great, digital kicks on and off .perfect

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had a Vortex heater for 20 years, variable speed and mouse quiet once at temp, would buy again

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many Space heater adds yammer "3 times more efficient" or some such fecal matter.
Fact is all electric space heaters are exactly 100% efficient that's because all losses are HEAT.

Since you want Small I Recommend a ceramic

Second: RV wiring may not be up to 1500 watt. 750 is not often a problem but 1500 is.. the reason is the el-cheapo "uni-box" style outlets do not have enough contact area with the wires so they get hot and literally melt.

I put in a pair (over time 3) Heavy duty 15/20 amp outlets 12 ga wire and each with a circuit breaker all to itself.. No problems. 12ga wire bent around a screw beats 14 ga "punched down" every time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times