cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Made in China "tiny home" (aka travel trailer)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I was dropping my rig off at an RV service center yesterday and they had two of these funky looking travel trailers. I got talking to the owner of the neighboring business and he mentioned that they were "tiny homes imported from China". You could see a bit of damage from the container shipping process.

Here's a walkaround video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKCG3GOK7Q

They also seemed lightly built from the tongue and suspension. And seemed incomplete- no battery, no propane. The lack of a spot for the battery made me wonder if they had brakes at all.

But, a made-in-China RV...

I often read that the state of quality in the RV industry is akin to the state of the automotive industry in the 1970s... basically ****. It wasn't until China started sending higher quality and cheaper cars here did American manufacturers step up and sort themselves out. Is this thing the start of that idea?

Each window on the ends had roller shades that could come down and close them off. You would NOT be giving everyone a nature show when you showered!

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
22 REPLIES 22

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
Funny how we are ragging on its quality when most of ours are falling apart before they make it off of the dealers lot. Not trying to defend it, just saying.

I welcome competition of any kind in the RV industry, we need something to wake up our manufacturers.

That's my take.

This might not be the one that changes things with it's lightweight frame and axles, but what if the next one they send over is better built and more finished?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
At least there are two axles.

I don't think it looks that bad, at least it's different than all of the brown/beige blah that is produced here.

Funny how we are ragging on its quality when most of ours are falling apart before they make it off of the dealers lot. Not trying to defend it, just saying.

I welcome competition of any kind in the RV industry, we need something to wake up our manufacturers.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't say that about the one pictured. I noticed the hubs only had 4 lug nuts. That screams even lighter axle than on the cheap stuff built over here.

Hammerboy wrote:
Actually the build quality and workmanship is probably better than the domestics :B

Dan
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a tiny home, or a travel trailer? They are not the same thing. Tiny houses are not self contained. They don't have fresh, gray and black tanks. They are designed to go from point a to point b and stay for a while.

I know there was a fad a short while ago involving "tiny houses". HGTV used to have one or more shows about building and buying "tiny houses". The buyers waxed enthusiastically about not wasting money on a huge house, but instead wanted to use their money to travel, or what not.

But never in any of those shows did the subject of just where were they going to dump their black and gray waste water. Many just said friends were going to allow them to park on their land somewhere, but again no mention of sewer hookup.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the build quality and workmanship is probably better than the domestics :B

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
That trailer frame isn't giving me the "road-worthy" feeling; but if you were parking it on a piece of property somewhere for a "cabin" - it might work?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Plain trash like everything else from China.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I think it needs a little more wood paneling, holy '70s

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If we could just get Australia to change the door side and start shipping units here there would be some competition. Granted..high end, but still maybe an incentive for our **** builders to do better.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
At one time I started making a list of the junk that has boken on me. Tilt knobs shattered cutting my thumb, smacking a piece of rock with the face of claw hammer and a claw broke off, ATV whip flag stick splintered, air blow nozzle not a year old falls apart, long wood clamps twist handle falls apart, pry bars bend easily, 5 ft pinch bar bends easily and on and on. What could possibly go wrong with an RV from there. If you think our stuff is junk....

It's like being hooked on crack.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think it looks cute and perfect for someone who just does weekend camping and wants basically a bed and bathroom on wheels. I think this would appeal to Airstream lovers who don't have the funds to buy an Airstream, nor the time/ability to restore an old one.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I think the point here is made regardless of specifics and details.

I, for one, would appreciate someone (anyone) competing in the market in a way that causes a change! If we as Americans will not rise to the competition, then we have concerns bigger than the rv industry.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's an interesting design.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete