cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medic alert for use in RVs

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a Medic Alert advertised on TV that works in the US. I checked on line and found they have to be used in an area that you have it registered in. Has anyone found something that is truly portable? I am 77 and travel alone using a walker or Travel Scoot to get around. I am not ready to stop travelling yet.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford
4 REPLIES 4

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Have had SPOT on a couple of river trips and wonder if it might work for you. Check it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPOT_Satellite_Messenger
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I was assuming that the OP had a cell phone. I have one, but where I go there is often no signal.

There are cell phones heavily advertised to seniors (Great Call is one) and I think that many of them have medical alert buttons. Don't know if those are the ones good in registered areas only.

No alert is any good if you don't have it on you when you need it: in a plastic zip bag in the shower with you, in your pocket, by your bed. And of course you have to be conscious in order to use it. Perhaps add some sort of daily check-in feature, automatic or otherwise, sort of "if you don't hear from me every day by X hour, call for help". Some of the satellite trackers have automatic map track features so your location would be known.

Try cell phone first (two-way voice). If that doesn't do it, add a more sophisticated system.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be better off with a cell phone. Maybe an extra phone, small in size, that you would keep charged in your pocket with the power turned off. You have to have a good idea where you're at to get help. If you call 911, it shows the tower address as where you're calling from. They can get coordinates but generally takes longer.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Perhaps a DeLorme InReach? It works on satellite from anywhere on earth. SOS button summons help. Allows two-way texting with SOS folks or with others.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed