Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More ash borer news

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
still spreading, excerpt from th "Auburn Citizen"

"What's new this year as opposed to when we first started, we had a quarantine area that was basically along Route 90," Ververs said. "Now, we have more detail. Here in Cayuga County, the first confirmed site was Montezuma at Hejamada Campground. It was brought in by untreated firewood, and it was actually stacked at the base of a tree that said, 'Do not burn untreated firewood,' on a sign on the tree."
32 REPLIES 32

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
brirene wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

If anyone thinks we can change nature then they aren't thinking clearly!

SMH. Ever had any vaccines for flu, polio, tb? Ever had pasteurized milk? Drank any chlorinated water lately?

Yes, and even that doesn't guarantee any immunity!

Exactly, but it slowed the spread of disease, similar to...oh, I don't know...not moving firewood might slow the spread of eab until a "vaccine" is developed? :W Have a great camping season, dodge guy! ๐Ÿ™‚
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
brirene wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

SMH. Ever had any vaccines for flu, polio, tb? Ever had pasteurized milk? Drank any chlorinated water lately?

Nothing in nature or "human-learned science" guarantees the outcome for the individual but trying is a good thing for most. Not sure what your point is besides trying to prove yourself right in your own mind yet well good luck with that.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
ryegatevt wrote:
OK, you lovers of the "Great American Pastime"... no, no, not THAT one! I mean baseball! Get used to the clink of those wretched aluminum bats. The straight dense grain of ash makes the wood perfect for bats (and tool handles, as well). I heard that the Major Leagues have already begun to stock pile ash in advance of the spread of the EAB.

Last I checked, I think about half of MLB players still use ash bats. The rest have switched to maple.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Yeah, Bayer makes Imidacloprid, a systemic insecticide which is listed for EAB. I've done some soil injecting with it for EAB.

How long before the EPA bans it? ๐Ÿ˜ž
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

• Or driven through NYC, LA, Chicago or any big city
  • Or flown over the midwest and seen the square pattern or irrigated circular pattern of crop fields that were once forested areas or prairies
  • Or visited an open pit taconite (iron) mine or coal mine?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
This is nature at work, nothing much we can do about it!

Amen, dodge guy. Millions (billions?) of years hence, the sun will run out of hydrogen, expand, and burn the earth to a cinder.

Given all that, why bother, right?

Yep! Exactly!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
ryegatevt wrote:
OK, you lovers of the "Great American Pastime"... no, no, not THAT one! I mean baseball! Get used to the clink of those wretched aluminum bats. The straight dense grain of ash makes the wood perfect for bats (and tool handles, as well). I heard that the Major Leagues have already begun to stock pile ash in advance of the spread of the EAB.

I had a superb little league field across from my house. It had professional lights, bleachers and the kids all had great uniforms. It was sponsored by a club that had a lot of money to put toward the field, the uniforms and the kids. Total quality. I used to love going to sit and watch the games. But once they went to aluminum bats and that damned "clink", I lost interest and just could not be entertained. If the professional leagues go the same route, I will quit watching baseball. We still have lots of hickory and maple trees, so hopefully the wooden bats will live a long time.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Yeah, Dutch Elm disease didn't stop at the State lines, either. Nor did Japanese beetles, Gypsy moths or any other foreign insect infestations.

As I'm sure dewey is aware (and should all Minnesotans), we have a lot to lose with EAB. I've heard estimates as high as 3-4 million trees. Slowing the spread by quarantine or any other practical means aids a slower decline and hopefully, we can replant against some of the loss.

AFAIC, we can just bromide every ship from an Asian port. I once unpacked a dining room table from Thailand for a customer. My efforts there stopped when I discovered a spider as big as my hand living under the top.

Yes, Minnesota has more ash trees than any other state.
We have a lot to lose, especially with the black ash, which grows in wetter conditions. Once those trees die off, they quit pumping water, the water table can rise making the area unsuitable for most other trees to germinate and take hold. In the future, we may have a lot of brush stands where we now have black ash trees.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Dutch Elm disease didn't stop at the State lines, either. Nor did Japanese beetles, Gypsy moths or any other foreign insect infestations.

As I'm sure dewey is aware (and should all Minnesotans), we have a lot to lose with EAB. I've heard estimates as high as 3-4 million trees. Slowing the spread by quarantine or any other practical means aids a slower decline and hopefully, we can replant against some of the loss.

AFAIC, we can just bromide every ship from an Asian port. I once unpacked a dining room table from Thailand for a customer. My efforts there stopped when I discovered a spider as big as my hand living under the top.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
In a perfect world the bugs would have eaten themselves out of house and home and died off. They would have most likely cleaned out a State or three but that would have been all... in a perfect world.
With the help of knuckleheads they managed to spread all over.

Not sure what world you live in, or what your understanding of insect ecology is. I don't think we've had a perfect world since Adam and Eve got the boot from the garden. The combined range for the three most common types of Ash (White, Green and Black Ash) covers more than 1/2 the land area of the continental US, and several provinces in Canada. So I'm not sure how your perfect world would allow the EAB to eat itself out of house and home after only 2 or 3 states. While these bugs don't move very fast on their own, they can fly up to 10 kilometers.

Don't get me wrong, as a professional forester, I understand the need for quarantines and firewood restrictions. The whole objective is to slow the spread, not stop it, because that is NOT possible. Clearly, the transportation of wood (in all its raw forms, not just firewood) quickens the dispersal of the insects to new locations, so regulations must be put into effect.

Unfortunately, people want to have it all. You want cheap products from China? Well those products often come in packaging that contains wood pallets and containers and those materials harbor bugs (that is the best guess as to how EAB got to Michigan and Ontario in the first place). Chicago, New York and other cities have battled the Asian Long Horned Beetle. It arrived in fake Christmas trees imported from Asia. Regulations now require fake trees with wood trunks to be kiln dried to kill the bugs. But it is always a catch up game, the new regulations came after the bugs had already arrived. Such is the price we pay for global trade and desiring to have cheap products.

There is a price to pay for everything and every action has good and bad effects. THAT is the world we live in, both the economic AND the ecologic aspects.

Again, there were only two people who ever experienced the "perfect world" And both of them ate the apple, and that was the end of that. And here we are.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Bayer makes Imidacloprid, a systemic insecticide which is listed for EAB. I've done some soil injecting with it for EAB.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton