cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorhome Crash 5/11/2015

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.fox8live.com/story/29036795/dash-cam-video-motor-home-blows-tire-slides-on-side-across-i-10

This happened not far from here this morning. Watch the video. It happens extremely fast.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.
54 REPLIES 54

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Scary to say the least! Hard to tell the speed from the vid, but it doesn't look excessive!

As a side note, not that it had anything to do with the accident.....did anyone else notice the toad? A full size ext can Chevy pick up!

Not that it matters but it was a Ram truck, come on Dodge Guy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad they were OK that looked like a scary ride.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

path1
Explorer
Explorer
What type or model of dash cam does one get for that kind of quality?

I've been looking for one and can't make up my mind.

If yours is that good or better, please post what type at

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28354905.cfm

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Whether it would have helped or not, this is why I like to stick at 55mph. Would seem to have given him a little bit of extra time to react. Even an extra fraction of a second could have helped him regain control or possibly avoid the rollover.

Depending on the traffic around me, if an 18 wheeler or other RV is passing me, I'll even get of the gas for a second or two while they're doing it to get them by me quicker in the event this happens to them. I've been through a steering tire blowout and it's really hard to go against the instinct to mash the brake and I can see where someone might make that mistake. Wouldn't want to have that happen while they're beside me.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Does anyone have a story of a front tire blowout that actually ended well?

I was passing a semi on I15 as his LF tire blew. The driver had no problem maintaining control and brought the rig to a safe stop.

The MH driver was driving too fast for his skill level.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a story of a front tire blowout that actually ended well?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scary to say the least! Hard to tell the speed from the vid, but it doesn't look excessive!

As a side note, not that it had anything to do with the accident.....did anyone else notice the toad? A full size ext can Chevy pick up!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
hoopers wrote:
I watched the video...as a new class A driver, good to watch.
Although it wasn't specific in the video, I assume after ones pushes the accelerator, one can slowy coast or brake to a stop? They didn't really say what to do after pushing the accelerator. Is it just a matter of getting control of the situation at that instant, and than everything after that is pretty obvious what to do?

You missed the part where it is explained that you should be able to regain control before you pick up a lot of speed. Once in control you can reduce speed moderately and pull over when safe.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as NC Hauler but watching the video my thought was what if I were passing that MH when his tire blew and if the mh was just doing 55 mph what might happen? I have never been scared when I drive but stuff can happen very quickly and I feel having 4 rear tires on the truck could be a great help if some occasions.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mlh wrote:
There were cables that were recently installed that kept him from crossing into the other lanes. He did wind up sliding out blocking both lanes but you can't see it in the video.

Cables are noted to not stop cars and pickups from crossing over to the lanes going the other direction, and would have almost no effect on a vehicle this size and weight.

State of Washington recently removed the ineffective cables north of Everett on I-5 and installed Jersey barriers.

Chris

The article quotes the police as saying recently installed cables prevented him from shooting into the eastbound lanes, though it did ultimately come to rest in those lanes.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
My Opinion
18 wheelers have no business going 75mph
It's a matter of control, that much weight, too much sway and instability
Same thing for motorhomes with a toad, and trailers and fifth wheels
I get passed all the time, by RVs in too big a hurry to get there, to do it safely

Agree, I've been towing my 5er at 60-65 mph and literally been "blown off the road" by a Class A running, probably 75 mph, with toad in tow....Been passed by trucks towing 5er's and TT's...and I'm talking on the Interstates in the mountains of NC, TN, VA and WVa....18 wheelers run even faster at times.....I don't' get it, I just try to keep my truck and 5er under control and at a speed where I can make a "split second" decision if need be..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlh wrote:
There were cables that were recently installed that kept him from crossing into the other lanes. He did wind up sliding out blocking both lanes but you can't see it in the video.

Cables are noted to not stop cars and pickups from crossing over to the lanes going the other direction, and would have almost no effect on a vehicle this size and weight.

State of Washington recently removed the ineffective cables north of Everett on I-5 and installed Jersey barriers.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MrWizard
My Opinion
18 wheelers have no business going 75mph
It's a matter of control, that much weight, too much sway and instability
Same thing for motorhomes with a toad, and trailers and fifth wheels
I get passed all the time, by RVs in too big a hurry to get there, to do it safely
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
dreeder wrote:
I was kind of thinking how fortunate that the oncoming traffic was that he kept it in the center median as well as he did.

Apparently there was a cable barrier, according to the article. Tough to see in the vid.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
hoopers wrote:
I watched the video...as a new class A driver, good to watch.
Although it wasn't specific in the video, I assume after ones pushes the accelerator, one can slowy coast or brake to a stop? They didn't really say what to do after pushing the accelerator. Is it just a matter of getting control of the situation at that instant, and than everything after that is pretty obvious what to do?

IMO their emphasis is to make the driver learn to hit the accelerator as an immediate safe reaction in order to wake you up to the critical actions of holding steering wheel pressure AGAINST the adverse yaw, AND to NOT hit the brake. IMO the rest kinda takes care of itself (if you're a good driver).

But, let's review the reason tires blow out in the first place. Some of it is a mystery, but proper inflation and installing a pressure/temperature sensor/monitor are the first steps you might consider. I assume you have Michelins which are still in good condition.....:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
I was kind of thinking how fortunate that the oncoming traffic was that he kept it in the center median as well as he did.