cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving a 5th wheel from Florida to New York State

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping the members here will have some thoughts or suggestions.

Every year my wife, Darlene, and I spend our winter on Sanibel. Last January she was diagnosed with a aggressive malignant brain tumour. As we're Canadians our insurance wouldn't cover the operation needed in Fort Myers but they did send an air ambulance for us.
She's had the operation and gone through radiation and chemo. We were lucky enough to get accepted into a stage 3 trial of a new chemo drug so she's still on chemo and will be for another fourteen months.

Friends in the park packed cup our 5th wheel and I arranged to store it- under cover with an electrical hookup. A former student jumped at the chance to drive our F250 home and so I thought all was well. As soon as Darlene was stable I'd drive back down to Cape Coral where it's stored and bring it back to Canada.
And then along came COVID.
So now I have the trailer in Florida, the truck in my driveway and the border is closed. And we won't be able to travel for a year.
Here's where the suggestions and advice come in. I'd like to find a way to get the trailer moved from Cape Coral to Hector in the Finger Lakes where friends have a place we can store it. If anyone has thoughts, advice or suggestions I'd love to hear them. I am at a loss. And to complicate matters a little more, it has a Pullrite hitch.

Many thanks and God bless in these crazy times.
Ian
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.
19 REPLIES 19

ian_c
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts, ideas and best wishes! I'm happy to report I found a Canadian rv hauler - Transport KMC - that could bring it across the border and drop it off outside our home, where it sits now. We're getting everything cleaned and organized and next week it'll go into storage for the winter.
I wish all y'all a wonderful winter and the best of health,
Ian
2011 Heartland Graystone 5th Wheel
2010 Ford F250 V10
Lovin' the lifestyle - never getting enough.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
On edit via new post.

The thread was actually called, "Getting 5th Wheel Home", by "Top Dog", posted 3-17-06. Fifteen pages.

Folks were still adding comments *after* the situation was resolved,
so I asked the Mods to close the thread. I should add, I did communicate with Gloria via private message to express sympathy & condolences on Jim's passing. She had expressed her thanks to all and was doing well.

A description (with link to the original):

Getting 5th Wheel Home ("Top Dog")

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
And here I thought this entire forum was for helping other people. Silly me. Somebody is taking their hall monitor job a little too seriously

To/for....Over Zealous Moderator/s ??....:o

A few years back there was a thread - think it was something like "Getting Jim home" - from the wife of "Jim". They had left their home in (IIRC) Virginia for a trip to Texas. Jim had terminal cancer, wanted to go to TX one last time. He was OK with driving there - but then things took a turn for the worse.

She had no experience driving/towing their 5th wheel and was looking for someone to drive it back for her.

The thread ran for several pages - many, many volunteers as well as suggestions - including "handoffs" from state to state. Eventually her problem was solved they got the truck & trlr home. (And, yes, Jim did pass away at home).

*NO* Mod or Admin closed the thread - until AFTER they had returned home, and no more assistance was needed.

OP: The PullRite SuperGlide. There is an adapter available from PullRite to tow the 5th with a non-PullRite hitch. Unfortunately, it's about $150. as I recall.

~

Dave, "IF" they are talking about your post, that is absurd....

Their thoughts on the thread are childish in my book....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dedmiston
bucky wrote:
And here I thought this entire forum was for helping other people. Silly me. Somebody is taking their hall monitor job a little too seriously

Is that directed to me? You've got to be kidding.

This thread has been running well with no interference or intervention from me, and the responses to the OP have all been considerate and constructive.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puma 30RKSS

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ian,

I understand your problems. My wife is a cancer survivor and it is a hard time for everybody. Love and prayers do help.

Now, are you members of FMCA?
Even if you are not, they may be able to point you towards help.

This is not a good time. The BMW that belongs to my wife's Canadian cousin has been at our house since the start of this thing and I have been trying to find ways to get it back to her.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Best wishes to your wife and her recovery.

I think you can easily find an RV hauler to bring it up for you. The big issue with RV hauling is the manufacturers don't pay for the trip back, so I'm guessing there's plenty that can find a load to take down to FL from the manufacturer, then bring yours up to NY for you.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck to you - please post back on the outcome of having it moved.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BurbMan wrote:
LadyRVer wrote:
Horizon Transport out of Indiana might have a hauler... also as someone else mentioned, try a rv dealer and get the name of the transporters the dealer uses. I think I would look for one in the area where the rig is now parked.

Hope your wife progresses well with her treatments. And with Covid shutting things down, it is all stressful. Good luck and blessings to both of you.

Ditto on Horizon, those guys are hauling 5ers and trailers from factories in northern IN down to dealers in FL and deadheading on the way back. I'm sure a driver would love to make some side money coming back north with a trailer. Here is a Facebook group.

I had Horizon move my fifth wheel from Indiana to PA.. Lance was awesome to deal with, and they were on time.. Everything was done as proposed with no issues.... I would NOT hesitate to use them again
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyRVer wrote:
Horizon Transport out of Indiana might have a hauler... also as someone else mentioned, try a rv dealer and get the name of the transporters the dealer uses. I think I would look for one in the area where the rig is now parked.

Hope your wife progresses well with her treatments. And with Covid shutting things down, it is all stressful. Good luck and blessings to both of you.

Ditto on Horizon, those guys are hauling 5ers and trailers from factories in northern IN down to dealers in FL and deadheading on the way back. I'm sure a driver would love to make some side money coming back north with a trailer. Here is a Facebook group.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Sorry to hear about your troubles, best wishes for you and your wife.
Suggestion
IDK if there are any RV mfgs in the NE, New York maybe, but the RV haulers will typically dead head from drop points in FL back to the mfg.
Find the closest mfg to your location (not dealer, manufacturer), call them, see if they'll give you the number of one of their contract haulers and that person could back haul it more economically than sending someone from another part of the country.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry to hear of your wifeโ€™s illness. Best wishes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad