cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving my Travel Trailer around the house

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
I bought another Sub Compact tractor, and it sure is handy to move my Travel Trailer around the house. It looks scary, but the little tractor is very stout and did it well.
https://youtu.be/0hiNxx4-Jlo
Tony
30 REPLIES 30

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
I watched the vid and saw no mention that you put any weight in the loader. When you max out the 3 pt lift especially on a sub compact with the hitch back as far as yours was, for safety reasons make sure to put counterweight in the loader. That weight on the 3 pt of your tractor surely made the front end light and could have applied enough down pressure to lift the front of the tractor off the ground. I move my trailers around all the time but my tractor weighs more than my trailers.
I CC this from another post so everyone could see the response.

The max 3 point hitch lift rating is without a loader. The loader is the extra weight. It also has the extra weight of the backhoe frame which is an extra weight the standard tractor does not have. The front tires never felt light at all. A good example was, the yard was soft and the front tires were marking it pretty bad. All was uneventful in the end. It is well within the tractors capabilities. I think lifting a bush hog up is harder, because the weight is so far back. Thank you for the insight. Always two ways of looking at things. A load of dirt in the bucket surely wouldn't have hurt. Well, maybe my yard! LOL.
Tony

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I enjoyed your video. I love my sub-compact, but I know there are additional things it can be doing for me that I haven't used it for yet. I'm hoping to build a new crushed stone parking pad for my motorhome this spring and look forward to putting that bucket to use. Although, I'm a bit east of you in middle TN, and my land doesn't have one flat spot on it...so I'm learning that retaining walls are my best friend. ๐Ÿ˜„
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the vid and saw no mention that you put any weight in the loader. When you max out the 3 pt lift especially on a sub compact with the hitch back as far as yours was, for safety reasons make sure to put counterweight in the loader. That weight on the 3 pt of your tractor surely made the front end light and could have applied enough down pressure to lift the front of the tractor off the ground. I move my trailers around all the time but my tractor weighs more than my trailers.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford tractor that I use to move my TT around on my property. Works great
samsontdog:o:W

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Having done a bit of work a couple summers on a horse farm many moons ago, I can vouch for tractors being great for maneuvering trailers around. The combination of unobstructed visibility, the hitch close to the axle, and really tight turning thanks to wheel brakes makes backing a trailer into a tight spot almost easy. Granted, about all I worked with were hay trailers, but I see no reason why a travel trailer would be any different.

(A hydraulically raised hitch ball is also a very slick feature; we had one, too, though it wasn't a three-point setup on the 1950's vintage tractor we used most to haul trailers around.)

I grew up on a big farm plus around heavy equipment. We used a tractor to move trailers around all of the time. I have used my past subcompact tractors to move around my trailers, but I always tighten up when doing moving them with a new small tractor.
Tony

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
Sweet!

What we found is to not get too close to our detached garage, like yours, in that the 'damp' near it makes the vinyl get green and we have to pressure wash the side and that is more work. I would reverse the small trailer near the garage and put the camper out to keep that air and sunlight flowing to keep the 'moldy ick' off the side of the garage. JUST SOME suggestions! Do how ya like but for us this meant alot of sunlight hit the side and made it a better fit for us with less moldly icky hitting the side of the garage and making it nasty. Might be our location and weather etc. but we needed that air and sunlight to make a difference.

fun video!!

I will sure keep an eye on it. It has not given us any problem to this point. I kept it far enough away to be able to put the slide out, "out". Thank you for your insight.
Tony

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Rider7767 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Some people will use any excuse to get a new toy. ๐Ÿ™‚
I pulled out all of the stops to get it through the finance committee.

Can your finance committee talk to my finance committee?
I will see what I can do! LOL.
Tony

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having done a bit of work a couple summers on a horse farm many moons ago, I can vouch for tractors being great for maneuvering trailers around. The combination of unobstructed visibility, the hitch close to the axle, and really tight turning thanks to wheel brakes makes backing a trailer into a tight spot almost easy. Granted, about all I worked with were hay trailers, but I see no reason why a travel trailer would be any different.

(A hydraulically raised hitch ball is also a very slick feature; we had one, too, though it wasn't a three-point setup on the 1950's vintage tractor we used most to haul trailers around.)

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Rider7767 wrote:
gbopp wrote:

Can your finance committee talk to my finance committee?
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sweet!

What we found is to not get too close to our detached garage, like yours, in that the 'damp' near it makes the vinyl get green and we have to pressure wash the side and that is more work. I would reverse the small trailer near the garage and put the camper out to keep that air and sunlight flowing to keep the 'moldy ick' off the side of the garage. JUST SOME suggestions! Do how ya like but for us this meant alot of sunlight hit the side and made it a better fit for us with less moldly icky hitting the side of the garage and making it nasty. Might be our location and weather etc. but we needed that air and sunlight to make a difference.

fun video!!

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Tony

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Awesome, now I have an excuse to get a tractor!!

I've seen similar on RV dealer lots. The tighter turning radius and low speed in 1st gear really gives you a lot of control to squeeze into difficult spots.
That is as good as reason as any to get a Sub Compact tractor. One machine does it all. I mow, garden, tow, dig, and till with one engine.
Tony

Rider7767
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Nice.
Thank you. It made it very nice to move it around in a small area.
Tony

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome, now I have an excuse to get a tractor!!

I've seen similar on RV dealer lots. The tighter turning radius and low speed in 1st gear really gives you a lot of control to squeeze into difficult spots.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV