cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wondering if I could safely tow this travel trailer?

Camper214
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone was looking for some help with tow ratings?Let me begin with we were thinking of getting a small hybrid trailer but after going to a rv show yesterday we are leaning towards a a lot bigger travel trailer.lol.The tow vehicle we have is a 2016 1500 Silverado,quad cab,4x4,5.3 liter engine,3.42 rear axle ratio.The travel trailer we are thinking about is. 2018 prime time avenger 26bh.The spec sheet says weight is 4900 lbs and hitch weight is 580 lbs.I believe it says like 2500lbs of cargo capacity.We are a family of 4 so I know you have to subtract that weight of of the truck also.We were wondering if that is cutting it close on towing safely?We know a lot of people on here know a lot more about this then we do and donโ€™t want to go by what the dealers say.Any help would be appreciated thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Silverfz, I'm lovin' the last sentence in your sig line.

Indeed, I see a LOT of Tundras pulling and carrying things that some would say "can't be done".
And I mean a lot of Tundras....when I stay in a CG it is often for weeks at a time, or like now in the winter, months at a time. I see quite a few folks come and go while I'm parked.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine.
I tow a 28 BHS Avenger with my 2008 Tundra Crew Max. It dry weight as per manual was 6700 LB and on pickup the thing weight was 6333 . As for some werid reason prime time had the weight of the trailer with all the options with the heaviest configuration. Mine has a carrying capacity of 3300 lbs. Even on 2 week road trips on weigh in I have never crossed 7500lbs. the camper gvw is 9500 lb. I always wondered what I would need to add to get 2000 lbs to camper max. We usually have chairs,fridge full on our travels. When dry camping I usually fillup near the site and dump usually as I leave .

So far i have towed it for 12000 miles with my setup and we have 4 adutls , some times 5 when my mother in law joins . a 85 lb lab dog with us too. I do not carry any thing in the bed.

The only towing issue i had was when the Dealer setup my hitch, once i learned to not freakout about adjusting it and fixing it. Everything was good. my truck had over 90k and shocks were shot. so i up some newer shocks in the rear . Years later I found a set of used rear airbag for 80 bucks on craigslist and added them with a new hose kit for 15 bucks from amazon.

I have pulled this setup in hills and moutains and never had a issue..

I am at 140k and thinking of servicing the transmission for the first time this year. Toyota does not even have a dip stick or a refill port.

Only thing i want a new tundra is for the 48 gallon tank. maybe once i hit 200k.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Many 15 series trucks have had a ton of payload for quite some time. depended upon the model......i have nearly 2 tons in my 2000 C2500. 300 lbs short of the CC dually dmax I had!

Personally, for my needs, I would like to see an 8000-8600 gvwr rig like i drive now. Do not really need the higher load carrying of the 9900-11500 SW rigs. Too much of a split between the typical 15 series rig with a max of 7200 gvwr........

Marty

Marty,
I'm with you that for the needs of daily unloaded use and some of my towing needs, a GVWR in that range should hit the sweet spot.
I'm getting ready to retire the 12 year old Frontier this year ( to become grandson's first vehicle ), and am thinking of the Titan XD as a replacement. GVWR of 8600 to 9000.

I've driven the new gas powered regular Titan ( not XD ) and must say I liked it as an empty ride. The Titan is still not selling real well in the segment, so there are some deep deal incentives offered to move them off the lot.

Hopefully this post will NOT trigger the usual suspects into a frenzy of "payload" dispute regarding the Titan. I am done arguing that point. I don't care about "payload", what I care about is being within axle and tire ratings, so those who want to argue P/L, keep it for someone else.

blt2ski
Many 15 series trucks have had a ton of payload for quite some time. depended upon the model......i have nearly 2 tons in my 2000 C2500. 300 lbs short of the CC dually dmax I had!

Personally, for my needs, I would like to see an 8000-8600 gvwr rig like i drive now. Do not really need the higher load carrying of the 9900-11500 SW rigs. Too much of a split between the typical 15 series rig with a max of 7200 gvwr........

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
No matter how much power and torque, and how many gears in trans, 1/2 ton will most likely run out of rear axle weight capacity between tongue weight, passengers, and cargo. And then thereโ€™s the issue of rear axle durability. Would u rather have a 1500 axle running at around 100 percent capacity, or a nice beefy Full Floating rear axle in a 2500? Durability is important.

Do remember. MOST of the socalled 1/2 ton trucks of today have 3/4 ton of payload. Wasn't true 25 / 30 years ago. But now is.

My 150 is closer to a ton of payload than it is to a 1/2 ton of payload.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how much power and torque, and how many gears in trans, 1/2 ton will most likely run out of rear axle weight capacity between tongue weight, passengers, and cargo. And then thereโ€™s the issue of rear axle durability. Would u rather have a 1500 axle running at around 100 percent capacity, or a nice beefy Full Floating rear axle in a 2500? Durability is important.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, yes, you can tow that trailer "safely".
However, I think your truck and you will not be happy when towing it. I know I wasn't when towing a 7X14 box trailer with a Dodge Ram 1500 with the 360 engine and 3.55 differentials. On a hilly stretch of I-90, that poor truck was shifting constantly, even with OD locked out. I sold the 1500 and bought the truck in my sig. I rarely have to shift down now. I am much happier now when towing.

Lol, a half ton model T would tow it even worse!
Youโ€™re not comparing anything remotely close using an old 5.9 V8, 2nd gen Ram, correct?

Yes the 5.3 will downshift a bunch in the hills, but it is appropriately sized for the OPs proposed TT.

Actually, I am not "comparing" anything. An opinion was asked and given: I do not think he will be happy towing that trailer with that pickup. That is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
FACT: I was very happy with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 until I towed that trailer with it. When I got home, I started my search for an affordable Dodge CTD. I found one, sold the 1500, and now I tow that trailer with no trouble at all! I'm happy, and the truck is not overworked.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Camper 214.
By virtue of the fact that 2 pages in, no one has said โ€œyou need a 1 tonโ€, you can be assured itโ€™s a safe combo as approved by the rvnet weight police board of directors!

Yeah. your going to need a F950 turbo diesel with a 13 speed double over Fuller Road Ranger trans for that trailer. Prolly need twin screws as well. :B

Perfect!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
My observation is if there is a "weakness" regarding load carrying, and therefore also towing, in the current generation of so called 1/2 ton trucks, it is they are somewhat softly sprung in the rear.

A guess would be the manufacturers know the vast majority of the buyers are not using these to carry loads much of the time. They are daily drivers so they get soft springs for a soft ride.

This is easily and inexpensively remedied. Also changing to better quality shocks, and adding an anti-roll bar ( if not already fitted ) is a worthwhile change. All of this can be done for less than $700.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ulvik wrote:
old guy wrote:
I had a 1500 4x4 chev and a 24 ft TT and the truck had 3.73 gears. it bucked all the time and the 350 engine just didn't like pulling that TT. I got a 2500HD chev truck and it was like night and day difference. I will never go back to a 1/2 ton truck for towing

In my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges. The last time Chevrolet had a 350 in them was 1997 or 1998. Half ton trucks today have become far better than they were over 20 years ago.

Very true. todays 1500, and 150 series trucks are much more capable than a socalled 3/4 ton of 20 years ago. Could be why so many are quick to put down a socalled 1/2 ton. they haven't been in one in more than 20 years.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I had a 1500 4x4 chev and a 24 ft TT and the truck had 3.73 gears. it bucked all the time and the 350 engine just didn't like pulling that TT. I got a 2500HD chev truck and it was like night and day difference. I will never go back to a 1/2 ton truck for towing

In my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges. The last time Chevrolet had a 350 in them was 1997 or 1998. Half ton trucks today have become far better than they were over 20 years ago.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like . good combination to me. Get a WDH with integrated sway control and proportional brake controller.

The 6-spd with 3.42 is almost the same first gear ratio as the prior 4-spd with 4.56, plus smaller gear spacing to keep the 5.3" in its powerband.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Camper 214.
By virtue of the fact that 2 pages in, no one has said โ€œyou need a 1 tonโ€, you can be assured itโ€™s a safe combo as approved by the rvnet weight police board of directors!

Yeah. your going to need a F950 turbo diesel with a 13 speed double over Fuller Road Ranger trans for that trailer. Prolly need twin screws as well. :B
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer