cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must read book, BOON DOCKERS etc

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
I have just finished reading BOON DOCKERS, a must read book about a journey in a class B through America By a couple from Australia.

(This information came from another class b river who led me to buying this book for free by loading Kindle. I hope he reads this and claims his right. I thank him.)

It is a good story of an outsiders view of America. The author does not pull any punches about his impressions of America to the point that people who have read this book think he was negative toward Americans. Like many people who look in from the out side, they see an America that is very much covered up by the pols and press.

The author also gives very good ideas on how to navigate the Walmart overnight parking and gives clues as to other places that are free to park over night.

I do believe, like him, that to pay 20 to 40 bucks for a place to park your rig for the night is just to expensive. Many of us could not afford it if we have to shell out hotel rates in order to spend a night in our rig. RV parks have their place in America, just not every night.

You can go to Kindle, load the app, and get this book, either free or for a few bucks.

Happy RVing,

Heapie
53 REPLIES 53

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Where are the monitors???

Way, way off topic.

It's a U.S. thing I guess:)..Ask a mod nicely and he may close it:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the monitors???

Way, way off topic.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Mr Wizzard you just lost a lot of my respect for your postings. I hapen to have lived in Australia for 35 years, I wrote that ther is crime and drugs in Australia, but no wher the shootings going on in America, maybe you can post som of the killing that have happend in the last 5 years like the 3 year old shouting a 1 year old, or the many school killings.
Frank.

How many people in Australia? How many people in the United States? If the US is SOOOO bad and Australia is SOOO much better, why did you opt to leave such a crime free society and move to the murderous, drug ridden United States of America? Just curious...one would think that one wouldn't want to be anywhere near the United States of America as bad and evil as it is....I know one thing, it's the ONLY country in the entire WORLD that will come to the aid of every other country in the world and when something happens in the United States NO ONE come's to our aid:h Never have figured that one out.....but, most hate the United States, we normally stand alone and are quite use to it....

use to be an old saying that is probably not "politically correct" now a day's, but it was

"love it, or leave it"....

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

April 13, 2009

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.
While this doesn't prove that more guns would impact crime rates, it does prove that gun control is a flawed policy. Furthermore, this highlights the most important point: gun banners promote failed policy regardless of the consequences to the people who must live with them, says the Examiner.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Wizzard you just lost a lot of my respect for your postings. I hapen to have lived in Australia for 35 years, I wrote that ther is crime and drugs in Australia, but no wher the shootings going on in America, maybe you can post som of the killing that have happend in the last 5 years like the 3 year old shouting a 1 year old, or the many school killings.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I was interested until reading the snippets posted here. They won't be seeing any of my money.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Lot of commenting from people who have not even read the book.

It's not an editorial in the New York Times.
It's a book written by amateurs for a home audience.

There are 100's of books written by travelers poking fun at places they have visited.

SHEESH!!

Wife down loaded on her Kindle, and SHEESH!!! it was...tripe....So we're now not allowed to express our opinions on a reading that was presented to us on this forum? Wow.....Wouldn't waste my time reading an OP-Ed in the New York Times either....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of commenting from people who have not even read the book.

It's not an editorial in the New York Times.
It's a book written by amateurs for a home audience.

There are 100's of books written by travelers poking fun at places they have visited.

SHEESH!!

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
not sure why i would buy a book to be insulted especialy from people who think $20 per night to camp is too much.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Woodtroll wrote:
I did read the book, several weeks ago. A lot of it was interesting, but after the first few chapters the author simply wore the term "redneck" out, usually in conjunction with other derogatory terms. He's the one driving the past-its-prime van across the country with constantly squealing fan belt that he seems unable to fix; maybe he should ask a redneck for help? Sort of like me spending a ton of time and money touring Australia, then referring to half of its citizens in derogatory terms. I'm glad the book was free!

Thank god it's only free to those that are monthy kindle subscribers. Otherwise I might would of been inclined to download it, just to see...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
The biggest difference is that gunpowder, casings, and ammo are a lot harder to get in the UK and OZ, so for the most part, a gun at best is something home-made there.

Funny, alway's seems the "bad guy's" never have a problem getting the gun's or ammo....The bad guy's can get guns from a lot of places as Mr. Wizard stated...doubt they're all running around with "home made" guns.......Sometimes, we really do have to take the blinders off and look at "the real world"........Eden disappeared a very, very long time ago...

also glad I live in a country where I CAN have guns and ammo to defend myself against those who use them illegally...

Yep...as an LEO, I can tell you that criminals usually don't commit crimes with guns registered to themselves. And most are convicted felons and "can not" (are not supposed to) possess a gun.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
they behaved like uncouth idiots
how many hundreds if not thousands of places did they pass where they could have gotten repair parts and even god forbid "pay" to dump their PEE

My earlier points exactly.....I couldn't' believe we were promoting something that was calling Americans names, cutting on our country and talking about not being able to get anything fixed...Sounds like they wanted a free ride for everything they did......."uncouth idiots".

MrWizard, I salute you sir....

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I went to look at it on Amazon and almost bought it ($3.99 I believe), but read some of the reviews. Someone mentioned that they stopped reading it after readign many snide remarks about Americans.

To be honest, there are a lot of Americans doing this type of living today and many of them film their lives and experiences (almost daily). And many of these do the Wallydocking themselves. I would rather just watch them when I want to and not have to worry about someone from another country bashing the country I live in or the people from it. I spent years in the military protecting this country and these people from others who do not like us. I don't need anymore of it....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MrWizard
they behaved like uncouth idiots
how many hundreds if not thousands of places did they pass where they could have gotten repair parts and even god forbid "pay" to dump their PEE
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
I read the book last year, got it free for Kindle on my smartphone. It was an interesting read, but the title was not accurate. They toured parts of the country in a van. Most of what they did was dry camping, but to non-campers what's the difference. Actually they did very little camping, they just lived in their van while touring the US.

This really bothered me:

You see, while there is a toilet for number ones only, the hose attachment for the holding tank is broken. This means every week or so, we (read I) have to find a secluded gravel road or grassy patch whereby I can pull up, motor running, and pull the dump hatch open while jumping away simultaneously as the yellow liquid floods onto the ground. The timing and location of this exercise is everything. Once you begin the process, there is no stopping it and with a sixty-litre tank the process is not a short one. Therefore, you'd better be damn sure no one will come driving past while you're standing there waiting to close the hatch. A few times things haven't gone so smoothly and we have had to bail with the hatch still open. Cities pose the greatest challenge. Where are we to open up a sixty-litre tank of aged urine without getting caught? But it is the only way.

Really? Actually just get the "hose attachment" fixed.

We feel terrible about having to do this across America, like a pair of dogs marking their territory on one of the most powerful counties {sic} in the world. I love you America and ask you to refrain from tracking me down and sending me to a Guantanamo Bay.

As far as I'm concerned, apology not accepted. I'd have a much better view of the author and his book if he had just left this part out.

-Michael

I had seen that also, thus the reason for my "tirade" earlier in this thread...Sounds to me like they wrote a book on how bad America is...they were like a "pair of dogs marking their Territory"??? Tracking them down and sending them to Guantanamo???? Really...Wow, sounds more like Terrorist than Campers....If I were them, I'd been scared to death to camp anywhere in the USA with their thoughts they expounded upon

Sorry, but I have to revert back to my first impressions of the book....but I'm a "dyed in the wool", God bless America, USAF Veteran that thinks too much of my country to read this from someone slumming around in a Van and asking me not to track them down...Have ZERO desire to do so.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet