cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need New Camper Batteries....

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
We've got 2 Interstate batteries on our 4+ year old trailer. We rarely dry camp but when we do we have a Honda 2000 we use during genny hours. One of our batteries is shot and we're looking to replace both of them.

We have led panels in all our light fixtures but we try to use as little power as possible when dry camping. We'll usually plug our trailer into a 300W pure sine wave inverter when the genny isn't running just so we still can charge our phones, watch tv, run a fan, or power a cpap at night. We don't do all those at the same time but those are things we MIGHT do. lol We'll usually have to use our water pump when dry camping too but again we try to use it sparingly and take navy showers.

I'm not interested in golf cart batteries so please let me know what you suggest.
29 REPLIES 29

Explorer II
Explorer II
My Walmart 27DC-6 served me well for 6.5 years. I'll soon replace it with the same.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
If you are buying only one of two batteries, it's important to match up your batteries.

No need to balance anything if the OP decides to run his batteries sequentially, which is particularly easy to do if he wires them through a two position battery disconnect switch such as a Blue Sea m-Series 6007. Run one 'til it's depleted to 50%, then switch to the second ... old battery, new battery, doesn't matter. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are buying only one of two batteries, it's important to match up your batteries. If you buy a smaller/weaker battery (or bigger/stronger) there won't be a balance...the weaker battery will pull from the stronger battery. I always change batteries in pairs, always indentical in size and specs. I personally like Interstate 27 series.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased the Walmart Everstart deep cycle batteries in the past. They were made by Johnson Controls. They are still serving me well. I was concerned about whether they were true deep cycle or hybrid. Per Johnson Controls tech representative the Everstart battery numbers ending with DC (i.e. 24DC, 27DC, etc.) are true deep cycle batteries. The Everstart battery numbers ending with MS (i.e. 24MS, 27MS, etc.) Marine Starting batteries and are hybrid.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
About any RV shop/dealer would have batteries also, as I have 2 interstate marine batteries in mine with great results. That's an area in my opinion you don't want to cut corners on. Mine were $400 installed and out the door at an RV shop. If its not broke don't fix it, in other words, if you've had good luck with what you have why do you want a different setup??? Just asking.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:
We've got 2 Interstate batteries on our 4+ year old trailer. We rarely dry camp but when we do we have a Honda 2000 we use during genny hours. One of our batteries is shot and we're looking to replace both of them.

We have led panels in all our light fixtures but we try to use as little power as possible when dry camping.

I'm not interested in golf cart batteries so please let me know what you suggest.

Are you sure? Many if not most gas absorption fridges have a climate control heater that is powered by 12 vdc ... when on shore power that 12 volts is supplied by the converter but when you're dry camping guess where it comes from? - yeah, your battery. Turn it off and save considerable draw down on your battery ... if yours is one of the newer fridges that has this heating element but no switch you'd be wise to add one, just as I've done. Pics are in my gallery.

As for your battery situation there's little reason to have 2 batteries when you don't often dry camp and do have a genset with which to recharge those few times you may need to. Personally I'd install a new G31 deep cycle battery on the trailer, get rid of the bad battery, and keep the other good one and carry it in the back of the truck as a spare. Bet you'd hardly ever use your genset. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
If you have a U.S.Battery distributor near you these would be a good choice. You might even be able to get by with one battery if you are not boon docking alot and use your generator.
US Battery

If your normally plugged in I also would do 1 deep cycle battery.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Walmart close, buy the trolling motor batteries they sell. It is a hybrid battery but if you're almost always plugged in, it doesn't matter.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:
rjxj wrote:
For $170 you can get 220 amp hours of 6 volt deep cycle at sams or costco. It's a step above a group battery because it's a actual deep cycle. The only draw back is that they are taller than gp batteries. No matter if 12 volt or 6 volt, when using a generator it's beneficial to be sure your charging system is working well. A converter upgrade is about $125.00 and can take your charge voltage from 13.6 to 14.4 or more. Often times converters that put out 13.6 will only have 13.5 or 13.4 hitting the battery which is slightly over float voltage of 13.2.

Part of the issue can be resistance in the wire from the converter to the battery. Resistance is determined by wire size, distance and temperature, with temperature not being a concern for those of us who are not working in a laboratory with super conductors.

How do you even measure that?

Measure the voltage at the converter terminals at the power center then measure the voltage at the batteries. The difference equals the voltage drop in the circuit. The circuit includes the wire and all connections. It brings up another issue which seems to be common. Check the set screw type terminals where the converter wires connect. Loose connections cause resistance too.

To go farther with the explanation we could also say that the resistance or even lower converter voltages dont matter to some people. They dont matter to the person who uses the rig and then returns home or hits a campground and plugs in. It will just take longer for the battery to reach full charge. Think of the resistance as a little heater or parasite. It can consume (waste) some of the converters power and still end up filling the battery but it just takes longer. It's like putting a hose in a bucket yet the hose has a small leak in it and not all of the water is reaching the bucket. The bucket will still fill but it takes longer. It doesn't matter when you plug it in and walk away but it matters when you are running a generator. It matters even more when you have limited gen hours or a noisy generator. You also pay a penalty for using energy. If you take X amount out of your battery you need to create X plus maybe 10 % or so more. Iirc my solar controller is set the return about 112 %.

It may not matter a lot for your style and none of this stuff is one size fits all and it can all be accomplished in different ways. You can be a boondocker and be very frugal with energy or you can be a boondocker and have everything in the rig turned on. You just need to be efficient at replacing it.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a U.S.Battery distributor near you these would be a good choice. You might even be able to get by with one battery if you are not boon docking alot and use your generator.
US Battery
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
For $170 you can get 220 amp hours of 6 volt deep cycle at sams or costco. It's a step above a group battery because it's a actual deep cycle. The only draw back is that they are taller than gp batteries. No matter if 12 volt or 6 volt, when using a generator it's beneficial to be sure your charging system is working well. A converter upgrade is about $125.00 and can take your charge voltage from 13.6 to 14.4 or more. Often times converters that put out 13.6 will only have 13.5 or 13.4 hitting the battery which is slightly over float voltage of 13.2.

Part of the issue can be resistance in the wire from the converter to the battery. Resistance is determined by wire size, distance and temperature, with temperature not being a concern for those of us who are not working in a laboratory with super conductors.

How do you even measure that?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the largest marine/RV 12v batteries that will fit since you don't want 6v.
I wouldn't use vehicle starting batteries. They aren't designed for that service. I really don't agree with knowingly using a starting battery for a deep cycle type of application and then taking advantage of the warranty when it fails.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Costco has a good price on group 24 or 27 that should serve you well.
As long as you are charging with a generator it might also be a good thing to review your converter is charging properly with 14.2+ volts.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I like to go to Costco and get the ones that will fit, and have the longest warranty. Yes, they are vehicle batteries. The need for deep discharge batteries is not called for, you don't need anything special.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel