cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neutral Tow Switch

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to tow 2003 Ford Explorer 4x4, 4 wheels down. I have checked with Ford garage to purchase neutral tow switch only to find out they have lost their supplier. Is there anybody that has the knowledge on how to build one or better yet where I might buy one? Thanks in advance. I know somebody has the answer on this forum.
12 REPLIES 12

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I managed to get our 2003 Ford Explorer set up with the "Neutral Tow Mode". Total cost = $32.49 (+ tax on the LED light.)An aquaintance of mine works at a dealership and was able to program the ECM for me. He only charged me $30.00.

Ford wanted $249.00 for the kit + 1 hr. labor to program the ECM for the Neutral Tow mode. Add to that, the parts manager at the dealership wasn't sure if they could even get the kits any more and if so, how long it would take to get one in.

Now, just have to order in the brackets and get the rest done. (I didn't want to order anything in until I knew for sure that the Neutral Tow Mode would work.)

Thanks for all of the helpful information.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you JohnQ.
Mark & Cherie

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
From my Ford Dealer Installed Instruction:

Neutral Tow Instructions

To Shift The Transfer Case Into Neutral

1. Securely attach vehicle to the Towing Vehicle.
2. Start the Explorer Engine to make sure that the battery is sufficiently charged.
3. The Explorer must be at a complete stop and shifted into 4X4 AUTO.
4. Place the Automatic Shifter into neutral.
5. Turn the ignition switch (key) into the OFF position (e.g., steering NOT locked).
6. Neutral Tow Light will initially go through a bulb check; then turn OFF.
7. Depress the brake pedal and Press the 4X4 Auto button for 5 seconds.
8. The Neutral Tow Light will flash; then stay on to indicate the Transfer Case is in neutral
9. Leave the ignition switch (key) in the Off Position and the Transmission in Neutral while the Explorer is in tow.

Do Not Disconnect the Explorer before placing the Xfer Case into gear.

To shift the Transfer Case Out Of Neutral After Towing.

1. Make sure the Explorer is at a complete stop.
2. With the Brake Depressed, turn the ignition switch (key) to ON (not start) position, and moved the transmission shifter out of neutral.
3. The Neutral Tow Light will turn OFF to indicate the Transfer Case is out of Neutral and in Gear.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. Thanks! We'll see what happens.
Mark & Cherie

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
Just shift the tranny into park and turn key off and remove it.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Looking through the archives, I just found this thread...I too am in the process of setting up our 2003 Ford Explorer for flat towing. I've done all of my research and will NOT be paying $249.00 for an LED light and some stickers! In speaking with a Ford Tech (off the record) about the proceedure of having the ECM programmed for the Neutral transfer case, he told me that I should first check to see if it might already be pre-programmed. He told me that some of the ECM actually came programmed from the factory inclusive of the Nuetral Tow function.

The problem around here is that none of the Ford dealerships that I've contacted (so far anyway), will not program the ECM for me because I didn't buy the kit from them (I even offered to pay for the re-programming).

Having said that, I know the proceedure for putting the transfer case in neutral, but can anyone tell me what is the proceedure for getting it back into the normal driving mode??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark & Cherie

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
Had one from Ford Accessories install by the local Ford Stealership a couple of weeks ago in a new to us 2004 Exploder Limited V8. One item of note, if you do it, test it before you leave the Stealership. I did not and two weeks later, tried/tested it and NO GO. Had to argue tooth and toenail that it was something they did wrong. Turned out it was something they did NOT do, i.e., ENABLE the EPROM Programming. They entered the code but did NOT enable it -- Doofus's.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Ford installation files you need to make your own Tow Kit. Please Email me at ross0737 at aol dot com and I'll send you everything you need to make your own kit for under $10.

I will say that Ford does now have the original kits again, or at least they can order them from the manufacturer again, but the kit for your vehicle now costs $249 if you have the V6 or $299 if you have the V8.

I've shared this information with over 60 other people and we haven't had any failures.
Loren

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer

Wizard_1946
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I had heard that they was available again. The kit is simple, basically just and indicator light, the problem is that the computer must be reprogrammed at the Ford dealer. I did see somewhere, on some forum that someone used a led fro Radio shack but can't find it now.

Also check with another Ford dealer as some just don't want to deal with it.
Jerry
2000 Journey 36G
2006 Explorer 4X4

Nothing I've got to do and all day to do it :B

Moved from Forum Technical Support

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
You may check this out. Google Search Link.

Moderator Note: Shortened the link to Google Search as it was causing a page formatting issue similar to an over-sized photo. ๐Ÿ™‚