cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Puppy

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Talk about a change in lifestyle, and we haven't even had her in the RV yet. We picked up an 8 week old West Highland White Terrier yesterday. (Westie) For those not in the know, it is the breed that is in the Ceasar dog food commercials. Coincidentally, we picked her up from an Amish breeder in Goshen, Indiana, so she should have a little RV in her blood. Having a new puppy is like having a new baby and we haven't done that in nearly 40 years. So, how is she going to effect our RV lifestyle? Up until now, we have been short trip RVers but plan to snowbird come November.

EDIT. We have a new Montana High Country 5er, so enough room isn't an issue.
17 REPLIES 17

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Stop by the "pet Stop" part of this forum and gets lots more advise than you even need!! We have fun though!!

bARB
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. Katie, our Westie, slept thru the night on the 3rd night. She is adapting and learning fast. Hasn't discovered squirrls yet, and we have plenty. Her first RV trip will be to the UP, on September 9th, eh. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Its a well known fact that dogs are RVing experts. Just put a large map of the US on the floor. Wherever she licks is a great place to go. Wherever she pees, not so much.
Congrats on the new pup. Your hearts are already stolen.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your puppy! Such a sweet and special time. You will not believe how much things have changed in the dog world these past 40 years. There are so many options for diet, toys, you name it.

The basics haven't changed. A good diet, (I like Organix brand), exercise, companionship and consistent expectations still matter. I would encourage crate training as it can be very helpful for you and your dog. Start a bathing and brushing routine early too. Habituate to a leash and attach it before leaving the camper. My little dogs like Dingo rawhide twists and they helped during the teething stage.

Have a wonderful time with your new little one, I have a feeling this is gonna be one lucky dog!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Puppy Ben (14 weeks in picture) went on his first weekend camping trip and LOVED it.

Of course he had Jimmy (blonde/white, and 5 yr old camping pro) and granddaughter Naomi to encourage him!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ttstansfield
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have three Westies that camp with us. The two older ones (13 year old girls) started camping with us later in their lives. Our boy (Toby, who is 2 years old) started camping with us as a young puppy. They were part of the reason that we started camping--mainly so we could bring them with us. All of them love to travel with us and we are lucky that none of them get motion sickness. They get the entire backseat of the truck to themselves while traveling. Once we are in the campground, we take them on a walk as soon as we arrive and give them a chance to stretch their legs and do their business. We have only had one thing chewed in the RV. As a young puppy, Toby chewed the strap that holds the fire extinguisher to the wall. No problem--bungee cords work just fine to hold it in place. When we are away from the RV, we shut the blinds and turn on the TV for the dogs. It keeps them from barking at squirrels outside and hearing outside noises. They spend the time sleeping--just as they do at home when we are away at work.

Westies aren't any more prone to barking than any other dog. It is all in the training and letting your dog know what you expect regarding their behavior. We don't allow our dogs to bark for long periods of time at home--so they know better than to do it when we are in the RV. The RV is just another "home" to them. Our neighbor's dog will bark non-stop for 3 or 4 hours--even in the middle of the night--because his owner allows it and even encourages it. If you are good dog parents, then you will have a good dog. You might want to read some of Cesar Milan's books regarding dog training and raising puppies. Your local library should have them on the shelf.

Be sure to bring some toys for the puppy and a Kong with treats to divert his/her attention when you leave the RV. Also, give him/her some of your clothing items or towels with your smell (smelly, not freshly laundered) on it so he/she doesn't get separation anxiety. The clothing will help him/her know that you will return and it will make the RV smell like "home". You can purchase travel crates that fold down and set up easily for the puppy. It will keep them safe while you are away from the RV and they will see it as their "den". Our dogs still love to sleep in their crates--including one of the 13 year olds.

We hope you enjoy your new puppy as much as we enjoy our Westies. Happy travels. ๐Ÿ™‚

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem we have had travelling with a scotty was he kept waking us up several times at night. I thought he needed out to go take care of business but Gladys thought it might be that he got down off of the bed and could not get back up. Gladys was right $15.00 one trip to Lowes and the dog has a bed ramp and sleeps through the night.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mikejodifin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31/2yr old Dane, he loves to travel & sleeps w us when it storms. ๐Ÿ˜‰
:C Mike & Jodi

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Get your new little one adjusted to the camper a little at a time....... We are lucky we have two Boxers they never chewed up anything but their toys......Now if I walk toward the truck they beat me to it & sit waiting beside it ready to go...... They love to camp..........

Poodle_Power
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled with dogs for years. We are on our third toy Poodle. Our little girls have lived a long time and liked to go. We usually don't go anywhere they cant't go. Our first little girl, Brandy, would hide under the seat if we left her in the car. The second one, Sweetie Pie, was another story. She stood up by the window, pointed her little nose straight up and howled like a little wolf. Our current little girl, Sweetie, very nicely lays quietly in the car seat and patiently? waits for us. We always take her with us when we leave the motorhome. We left the second one once and when we came back the lady next to us said she stood up on the table, looked out the window, and cried the whole time we were gone.

Enjoy your new baby.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Start your training NOW, this second.

The breed is a known barker (no offense intended). Treat/clicker training is a great method. A camping dog needs to be even more obedient than the average dog because it interacts more frequently with different surroundings.

Get the book "Puppies for Dummies" and read it cover to cover. It's very helpful with new techniques and goes inside the dog's head. Plus, it's a fun read.

How fun and enjoy your new baby and the every 2 hour potty trip. Glad you got her before winter set in. It's cold and lonely at 2 A.M.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the Amish are known for puppy mills. Get her checked by a vet ASAP. I'm assuming they gave you some kind of "puppy warranty".

Biggest impacts will be having to go back to the cg to take care of her rather than stay out for 10-12 hours and finding campgrounds that will allow you to leave her alone for any length of time, if at all. Yup, just like a baby but at least if she misbehaves you can put her in her crate! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last two puppies we had were very particular. They never chewed up anything that did not cost at least $100. Another reason why the present dog was 2 1/2 when we got her.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure she has plenty of things to chew...like shoes, chair legs, table legs.....
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon