cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Vietnam memorial in Chicago

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting war memorial exhibit, for those that have Chicago on their RV'ing and/or vacation bucket list. Or a destination trip just to see this. It's amazing.

The Harold Washington Library just opened a new Vietnam war memorial called
'Above and Beyond'.

It is the only memorial listing every individual that was killed in Vietnam other than the Wall in DC.

""At the Harold Washington Library in Chicago is a new art installation called โ€œAbove and Beyondโ€ featuring over 58,000 replica dog tags โ€” one for each American soldier killed in the Vietnam War. The dog tags, each hung one inch apart, are suspended from the ceiling from a 410-square-foot rectangle. Each dog tag lists the soldierโ€™s name, military branch and date of death. Nearby is a touch panel display that allows visitors to look up a veteran's name and find generally where the soldier's dog tag is hanging. It is the only memorial other than The Wall in Washington, D.C., that lists every individual killed in Vietnam.""

Above and Beyond was created by artists:
Ned Broderick,Rick Steinbock, Joe Fornelli, and Mike Helbing

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

9 REPLIES 9

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I loved visiting Chicago, I grew up in a small town South of the city. I brought my family to Cubs' games and pizza off Michigan Avenue and Christmas at Marshall Fields.
Until Illinois recognizes North Carolina's CCW, no Chicago OR Illinois for me.
Being a vet from the Nam era, I appreciate anything to keep those vets' names in front of the public s' eyes. God Bless them.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
I would love to see it. Too bad it's in Chicago, a place I can't and won't go with my family. Thanks for the picture, though.

I'm from Chicago. And what you read in the papers about the violence is NOT any where's near downtown Chicago where this is located. The news and one particular person in DC has been erroneously reporting this issue. How and why this stuff continues to be said is beyond me.

It's a beautiful city and has more cultural arts, museums, aquariums, and art structures than any other major city. All situated on one of the largest body of fresh water lakes in the world. Not to mention the best pizza ever.

I am very proud and honored they picked Chicago to display this beautiful memorial to honor our Vietnam Veterans.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Home Brothers
Times fun when you're having flies!

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
As I recall there is also a web site that you can look all the names up on and I think get a small narrative of how and when. i don't go there any more.

The older I get the more clouded my thoughts get on that experience and the why and what for.

Dave
The site is-virtualwall.org- Then click on find a name-city/state. Since I was much younger I had only heard the names of the ones from my hometown. But after reading this I got a whole different perspective of what they gave and how. Most were just kids(18-22). EXTREMELY sobering.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Can't get more touching and personal than that.
Wonder if a small breeze would sound like a wind chime, like a voice from beyond.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall there is also a web site that you can look all the names up on and I think get a small narrative of how and when. i don't go there any more.

The older I get the more clouded my thoughts get on that experience and the why and what for.

Dave

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dons2346 wrote:
I have seen it, very moving for those of the Nam era. It is a wonder that the 'flakes haven't said tear it down

X2
So sad they were treated so poorly of their return from their service! ๐Ÿ˜ž
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen it, very moving for those of the Nam era. It is a wonder that the 'flakes haven't said tear it down

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to see it. Too bad it's in Chicago, a place I can't and won't go with my family. Thanks for the picture, though.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo