cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new York propane ban?

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
anyone hear tell that you can no longer buy propane for RVs in new York state? sounds far fetched but you can never tell anymore
32 REPLIES 32

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I did not believe that propane shortage last winter for a single minute. I stood in line in SC for 1 1/2 hour with my empty 30 lb tank.

i asked the man filling the tanks if he was gonna run out. he grinned and said, Naw, this happens every bad cold wave., i got plenty coming in."

Kinda like if a camel passes gas and it is potent enough to smell here the price of gas zooms. :W

Just another excuse to gouge.

But that wasn't the case here in the North, especially in rural areas where they need it for heating homes. Some suppliers didn't get any and if you weren't using it to hear your home you couldn't get it.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
I dont know who makes up this gibberish, but Im off to fill up my 30's today. Its also the same dealer that does my bbq tank.....

I guess the real question is where did the OP hear this rumor and why did they consider them a reliable source?

Many years ago I got into a conversation with someone who told me the Michigan State police cars were painted with lead paint and could not be radared. He said he had a friend who purchased a used police vehicle and was pulled over and told he needed to repaint it because he was showing up as going 0 MPH on radar. I guess the USA could have saved billions on the stealth bomber by just using lead paint.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did hear sometime ago that some propane places didn't like to fill on-board propane tanks like the motorhomes have - only round tanks you bring in with you...

Don't know if that was NY or not...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Pipelines were REVERSED at times this past winter, EXPORTING gas instead of delivering it north. Companies who stockpile and/or use trucks were fine, those relying on the pipeline were screwed.

This is why we need a national energy policy that SUSPENDS ALL EXPORTS of energy when gasoline exceeds $2.50 at pump and propane is above $1/gal.

Structure sliding scale of taxes so major bucks can be made on exports, which require domestic needs and reasonable prices to be met first.

Let companies make $$$$ on OTHER countries, not cannibalize our own. Energy and food prices drive cost of living, which drives wages, which drives costs, which drives economy. It really is that simple.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I did not believe that propane shortage last winter for a single minute. I stood in line in SC for 1 1/2 hour with my empty 30 lb tank.

i asked the man filling the tanks if he was gonna run out. he grinned and said, Naw, this happens every bad cold wave., i got plenty coming in."

Kinda like if a camel passes gas and it is potent enough to smell here the price of gas zooms. :W

Panic buying creates a false temp shortage that can drive up price also
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
There drilling and capping a gazillions wells around here. Shortage is a BS statement to raise prices.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No ban; I actually had my 20# grill tank filled a week ago just south of Plattsburgh, NY. :C

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know who makes up this gibberish, but Im off to fill up my 30's today. Its also the same dealer that does my bbq tank.....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Myth
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
jk31668 wrote:
anyone hear tell that you can no longer buy propane for RVs in new York state?

sounds far fetched but you can never tell anymore

Actually you *can* tell......

If it sounds completely ridiculous - it most likely IS!!..:R

Even in NY..;)

~

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be getting my tanks filled today in Saugerties. I'll let you know if I have a problem.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Sheesh, I got a 20# tank filled and a 10# tank recertified a few weeks ago......
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
There's no shortage or ban here.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
All across the US there was a shortage of propane last winter (2013-2014 winter). Even here in Indiana it was virtually impossible to get a propane tank filled. And if you could find propane, the prices were gouged. I talked one of my dealers in my area, and they said they sold their propane back to the propane company so they could resell it for home use. It was a tough winter, and we opted to not driveway winter camp so much this last winter because it was so tight getting propane refilled.

I think that is the reference you're talking about. There is no shortage now.

Other discussion. This was last May.

Here's one from Last January: Click here.