Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Generator Compartment Lock

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Fuzion 301 TH

I find it odd the generator compartment is the only compartment or door on this vehicle that has no locking method; just two thumb screw type latches.

Is that normal to leave one of the most expensive parts unsecured?

Anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket locking kit?
23 REPLIES 23

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Every compartment on your trailer can be opened in a minute or less with a large screwdriver. Thieves don't care about causing damage.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 Southwind does not have a lock on the generator compartment.
It's probably a safety thing, which makes sense.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can buy an aftermarket, or OEM style lock but as has been mentioned that isn't going to slow down a serious thief. However if someone is after your generator, which probably weighs in the neighborhood of 250+ lbs., they are serious about it and a lock won't even be a glitch in their plan. You could put a $250 lock on that door and it won't slow down a person that wants that generator.

RV basement locks keep honest people honest, and that's about it. Anyone could use a large screwdriver and open the door quicker than you could with the key. My generator door has a lock, but I wouldn't worry about it if it didn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
RVIA, USDOT and National Fire Association all say no lock on an LP shutoff but I don't think anyone cares about quarter generator. Sterling a built in generator will be hard enough as it is, a lock on a tin door won't make any difference.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Compartments that have propane an other combustionible liquids should no be locked.
This so you and emergency response can extinguish any fire or shut off the propane.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The generator and propane tank doors are not normally lockable so they are readily accessible in the event of a fire. That may be a code requirement, but I'm not sure about that.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
That Generator has some serious weight - I have to use a floor jack just to lower it to change the spark plugs. Anybody who is strong enough to steal my Generator isn't going to be intimidated by a lock - probably wouldn't be intimated by me and my baseball bat.
Kevin

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
90 percent of all compartment locks use the same key... look it up.

unless the door and frame are made of Steel.. a one pound hammer will let them in.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If someone is going to steal a generator you are better off not locking the door as they are serious vandals.

But to answer take off one of the existing closures to a camping store and they should a a lock that works. Take the number off one of your locks/keys as they may also be able to match the number.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT