cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no RV parking

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
For furniture moving related reasons, I moved my motorhome to the street yesterday at 1p. I got home from work at 4p, and had a nice (not so much) warning from the police that I was in violation of the law stuck under my windshield. No ticket, just a heads up warning for now I guess... I looked the law up today (not realizing we had such a strict law in our city) and it certainly does appear that as of last year it is literally illegal to park an RV on city streets!

If you go by the letter of the law, I could get a ticket for going to the local 7/11 for a coke on the way out of town. Even if I do have a temporary one day permit for parking in front of my own house! Seems crazy.

Anyway, they are requiring residents to apply for a one day permit every time you want to park on the street to load/unload. This seems ludicrous to me, an extreme overreaction by city council to a problem of a few people living in ratty old motorhomes down by the marsh.

The old law was that we could park on the street for 72 hours. I guess the (extremely few) vagrant types were just moving to a different spot every few days, so now we all get this.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
72 REPLIES 72

Community Alumni
Not applicable
shelbyfv wrote:
Ridiculous. Plenty of places to live with whatever degree of regulation one prefers.

Exactly!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Tin foil hat time :S Plenty of places to live with whatever degree of regulation one prefers.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
I don't understand why folks who don't have HOAs get so excited about them.

Maybe they are concerned that the freedom is this country is going downhill at a rapid rate. Maybe they understand that their freedom to live where they want is keeping them outside of many areas. Maybe they don't like the fact that those who cannot or will not do much of anything are limiting their ability to be free.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why folks who don't have HOAs get so excited about them. Nobody is compelled to live in a neighborhood that has one. An earlier complainer in this thread coincidentally posted a pic in another thread of what apparently is his home. Large trash cans in the front yard, trailer in front drive, fence falling down.... I can drive ten minutes and see homes where people are proud to display every piece of rusted metal and faded plastic they've ever acquired. No apologies for not wanting to live like that.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Earlier I posted on this subject that I do not care for HOA'S. I understand the people who do. I live in a older neighborhood. Most of my neighbors keep their home and yard in very nice condition, they take pride in it. Now the neighbor to the North was was a different story. If you remember the Adams family on TV you get the idea. Well after 10 years they finally moved. The house sold to a contractor that has totally redone the outside and inside. It went from a eyesore to a nice looking home. If the house had not been redone I would not have a snowballs chance in Hades of getting the value of my home if I was to sell it.

While HOA'S aren't my cup of tea, I fully understand the rationale behind them. Problems arise when they try to micromanage every aspect of your life. Just as in all things there are good and bad HOA'S as well.

Side note; I do keep my large RV in covered storage lot less then a mile from my home. I do have a small 17 foot trailer I keep in a carport beside my garage at home.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back the city
was going to TAKE a 91yr old womans house because she didnt pay her sewer taxes. I hear these stories about HOA's and have to wonder why anyone would want to be told what to do and not do on thier own property? If i found my dream home and wanted to buy it, but there was a HOA involved, i would just leave and find another place. When the HOA pays my mortgage, THEN they can tell me what to do on my property. The world is full of too many rules as it is.
Proud father of a US Marine

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
dave_smith wrote:
Methinks this is the reason why anti-RV ordinances are exploding! Big problem in Portland...can't say I blame them.

No doubt!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
A council member can not eliminate or change zoning.

Iโ€™ve been involved with local governments for years.

Itโ€™s hard enough to get a sign put up.

Think of the biggest jerk you ever dealt with. Multiply it by 100 and that was this woman. Someone would submit an application for a simple thing that was a simple approval and this woman would drag it out for months because the HOA didn't want it. Didn't matter if it affected the HOA or their property in any way, they would get their noses in it via this woman. All the council members were having problems with this woman blocking every little thing.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I parked my 30' Class A in front of my brothers house in Orange County, CA. A highly snobbish HOA controlled area. The neighbor (who my brother wasn't too fond of) promptly came out and said in a nasty voice, "Hey, how long is that monstrosity going to be parked there? I replied, "It will be gone by tomorrow morning at 7:00am. And ya know, that monstrosity of an energy ***** you call home is the most effen ugly architectural disaster I've ever seen. And I'm an Architect. You might want to consider following me out!" . . . . . silence . . . .

In some parts of Orange County everybody thinks their "custom home" was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Even if there's another one just like it 3 doors down.

The HOA rules allow 24 hours RV parking for loading/unloading.

Chum lee

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
A council member can not eliminate or change zoning.

Iโ€™ve been involved with local governments for years.

Itโ€™s hard enough to get a sign put up.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
gemsworld wrote:
mt1729 wrote:
The only way to get rid of these kinds of horse **** laws is to quit voting your rights away. Vote for council men and women that aren't a bunch of snobs and have some common sense. As far as hoa's, you give up so many rights that you no longer own your own home. Can't plant a tree in your back yard or have to paint your house a certain color, have to build a certain kind of fence, can't have any fence, can't have a pet, can't have a lawn or you have to have a lawn but has to be a certain kind grass, can't have more than 1 vehicle parked in your driveway. It goes on & on. Where do you draw the line. I guess there is still too much farm boy in me to live this way. There are way more important things going on in this world then to be passing laws that keeps a homeowner from parking their RV in front of their own home. I am really thankful I don't live in that kind of environment. Maybe some of it is people are really cheap and worry that the value of their property will go down. I value my rights far more than a few bucks. You see RVs on the road everyday that are worth far more than a lot of houses. Maybe we should pass a law forcing homeowners to upgrade their homes to the point that a Provoast owner won't be ashamed to park his unit in front it. Absolutely unbelievable!!

I don't live in an HOA development for the sake of propping up property values. I live in an HOA development because I take pride in the way I keep my home's appearance, and I don't want someone to move next door to that chooses to live like and pig and has no consideration for others. If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

As far as the poster saying he had to park outside of the HOA development to attend a party, he was probably mislead by the homeowner hosting the party. He probably made the guests park far from his home to keep his neighbors happy. While it is true some HOAs don't allow parking in driveways, that rule is meant for the homeowners and not guests. I have hosted or attended events in HOAs developments and guests are allowed to park anywhere that is legal. By legal, I mean not blocking fire hydrants or driveways and such.

No, the rule was no vehicles parked on the street or driveway for more than 10 minutes without a special permit and permits were not approved for social get togethers - guests or homeowners. It was extremely strict even for an HOA.

I think HOAs are fine if they limit their requirements to their subdivision and inform potential buyers of all the rules prior to purchase. But sometimes, these HOAs start trying to rule outside of their territory. I knew one that was trying to ban dog boarding kennels from the other side of the hill that had been part of the agriculturally zoned area for over 50 years. The subdivision was built and within 10 years, their HOA was paying off a city council member to eliminate the agricultural zoning. It was a big scandal.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
mt1729 wrote:
The only way to get rid of these kinds of horse **** laws is to quit voting your rights away. Vote for council men and women that aren't a bunch of snobs and have some common sense. As far as hoa's, you give up so many rights that you no longer own your own home. Can't plant a tree in your back yard or have to paint your house a certain color, have to build a certain kind of fence, can't have any fence, can't have a pet, can't have a lawn or you have to have a lawn but has to be a certain kind grass, can't have more than 1 vehicle parked in your driveway. It goes on & on. Where do you draw the line. I guess there is still too much farm boy in me to live this way. There are way more important things going on in this world then to be passing laws that keeps a homeowner from parking their RV in front of their own home. I am really thankful I don't live in that kind of environment. Maybe some of it is people are really cheap and worry that the value of their property will go down. I value my rights far more than a few bucks. You see RVs on the road everyday that are worth far more than a lot of houses. Maybe we should pass a law forcing homeowners to upgrade their homes to the point that a Provoast owner won't be ashamed to park his unit in front it. Absolutely unbelievable!!

I don't live in an HOA development for the sake of propping up property values. I live in an HOA development because I take pride in the way I keep my home's appearance, and I don't want someone to move next door to that chooses to live like and pig and has no consideration for others. If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

As far as the poster saying he had to park outside of the HOA development to attend a party, he was probably mislead by the homeowner hosting the party. He probably made the guests park far from his home to keep his neighbors happy. While it is true some HOAs don't allow parking in driveways, that rule is meant for the homeowners and not guests. I have hosted or attended events in HOAs developments and guests are allowed to park anywhere that is legal. By legal, I mean not blocking fire hydrants or driveways and such.

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
Methinks this is the reason why anti-RV ordinances are exploding! Big problem in Portland...can't say I blame them.
Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine lives in a HOA community in Las Vegas. He told me he got a notice that he left his garage door open too long. No thanks!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember going to a co-worker's for a holiday party. He lived in an HOA and they were not allowed to have any cars parked in the driveway or the street - at all. All cars had to park in the garage.

So, he had us all park a block down the road, outside of the subdivision, on the street in front of the older homes. I just remember that as being tacky - "protect" your property values by f'ing someone else's.